• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it okay to brew Kombucha in a plastic jug?

I’ve realized that the local-produced milk I got at the supermarket actually comes in glass bottles; so I’ll use those once I’ve used up the milk.

By the way are there any laws surrounding selling SCOBYs? I’m thinking of selling the extra SCOBYs on Next-Door or the like to make some extra money.

How to Sell Kombucha at Farmers Market - Farming Base

"To sell Kombucha at a farmers market, you require a food producer’s license from the Department of Agriculture. You’ll have to go through the health departments of your city, county, and state. This is because your commercial brewing kitchen needs to be certified as safe and sanitary. You should get the appropriate permits from the necessary authorities. You also need to decide how you want to sell your Kombucha. Be it from bottles, growlers, or keg containers. Some sort of insurance is also essential."

Selling scoby? (fermentation forum at permies)

Okay, I’ve got some black tea and I’ve some Kombucha; the only problem is, the store didn’t have any unflavoured Kombucha, only flavoured Kombucha. I was going to buy flavoured Kombucha as well because, obviously, I need to try it to make sure I like it; but if I use that to grow a SCOBY and brew more Kombucha, will that turn out alright? Will it simply result in Kombucha of the same flavour; the same way that making yogurt using flavoured yogurt will result in more yogurt of that flavour? Or will it result in a Kombucha with a badly watered down flavoured of the original Kombucha?

Is this a healthy SCOBY?
11F4E911-2BB5-40D6-BDF9-9094E383B5CB.jpeg 25D8883E-AF53-4064-9478-70A57A770B13.jpeg 2FA58929-FAB6-462B-88B4-698089F006BD.jpeg

Yeah it's just a baby.

Kombucha needs a lot of area to grow. It likes a big, wide, oxygen rich environment like a big sun tea jar or a soy sauce bucket with a paper towel or cloth rubber banded around the top. It also likes to have a lot of caffeine and sugar available to it. I've found that when I've brewed it in small jars, it's turned moldy really fast, because its food runs out quickly.
Thanks, I’ve put in the fridge to have it hibernate and not starve. I’ll try to brew some black tea tomorrow and put it to work making some Kombucha.

I made some Kombucha brews, but in one of them, the SCOBY came out quite dark-looking, is it okay?:
View attachment 69679
The scoby may be dark due to staining in the tea it may also have some kham yeast on it. It's not harmful but it does not taste good so you can just skim if off. If it smells bad or tastes like vinegar it's bad. It does not seem to have mold spots so that good. Either way your scoby is too small currently to brew kombucha with so just keep an eye on it and see how it continues to grow and if it gets way darker or you see mold then you can toss it.

New Threads

Top Bottom