• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It feels very uncomfortable to listen to something I find boring

AuroraBorealis

I've noticed that it happens often that I find it physically painful to keep listening to someone talking about something that I find boring. This is especially the case when I'm already generally overstimulated. I get very tense, uneasy and restless and it's like my brain itches and I get quite irritable. It's very inconvenient sometimes when my also autistic partner infodumps on me about some of his interests which I don't find very interesting. Of course I still do my best to keep listening.

Do you experience this too? Is this more of an autism or more of an ADHD thing (or neither and everyone experience this and just manages to suppress/hide it better)?

Oh my! Yes, indeed. When my husband talks about gardening, I feel EXACTLY how you describe. I try to be polite and sometimes succeed, but other times, I have to change the subject, because I feel as if I am going to explode.

Yes, my therapist and I have covered this. This is indeed a trait of autism. I forgot the specifics, but he said straight up it was impossible for me to engage in these conversations, past a certain point. And to simply accept it.

Oh my! Yes, indeed. When my husband talks about gardening, I feel EXACTLY how you describe. I try to be polite and sometimes succeed, but other times, I have to change the subject, because I feel as if I am going to explode.
Yes I have it when my dad texts me about gardening, I have no idea what he's talking about and have no interest,.it's so hard to reply and I'll know I'll offend him if I don't.

It makes me feel hypocritical at times, because I can infodump about my interests but don't always have the patience to listen to someone else's infodump. :(

I am the same. I can infodump about things that interest me, but I don't do that as often anymore. I know they don't find it nearly as interesting as I do. Friends and family know about my interests though, and ask me about them if I don't bring it up myself, which is nice. But yes, listening to other people's interests... I guess it's not useful information - it takes away energy and takes up space that I need for other things. It really helps me if I am either on a walk with this person (walking is always useful) so I don't have to constantly look them in the eyes, or if it's a talk between at least 3 people.

New Threads

Top Bottom