• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jobs for obviously autistic people

FayetheAspie

V.I.P Member
What are good jobs for those with obvious autism traits who also have germophobia and do not have a college degree? What kind of jobs are most likely to hire?

Even without a degree, you still need to get a sense of what strengths you have to offer an employer.

What would you define as "obvious autism traits"?
Almost always rocking when standing in place or sitting (can't avoid it for long), frequent pacing when in a location
where it is acceptable to pace, unusual arm posture, glancing around room to know surroundings due to limited vision field (simultanagnosia), occasional info dumping about a topic of interest, shut downs when people yell, and I don't know if it is autism related or not but laughter as a response to nervousness, stress,or fear.

Even without a degree, you still need to get a sense of what strengths you have to offer an employer.
Attention to details that most others miss,visual pattern recognition, visual and literary arts, good at researching topics, striving for accuracy, memorization, follow instructions carefully, an inquisitive mind that likes to figure things out

YMMV, but most autistics I know who were successful in careers, myself included, were SMEs (subject matter experts).

Your best bet is probably to search @Outdated 's threads for how he got himself hired, then became an expert with the printing industry.

Attention to details that most others miss,visual pattern recognition, visual and literary arts, good at researching topics, striving for accuracy, memorization, follow instructions carefully, an inquisitive mind that likes to figure things out
Just throwing out some ideas:
  • data entry,
  • inventory,
  • proofreading,
  • quality control &
  • warehousing.

What are good jobs for those with obvious autism traits who also have germophobia and do not have a college degree? What kind of jobs are most likely to hire?
Straight off the top of my head, your mention of germophobia suggests OCD which can be difficult to live with but it's also something highly valued in trade circles - being pedantic about doing a job properly.

It's difficult to get in to a trade at your age but not impossible, normally we start training people between the age of 14 to 17 because at that age they're still capable of learning quickly and have less social issues. As a tradesman you'll spend much of your time working by yourself even when there's other people around you, they leave you alone to concentrate on what you're doing and don't interfere with you much.

The absolute worst jobs are working for retailers where they always want you to be part of the team, part of the family, and they encourage everyone to be all lovey dovey and pat each other on the back all the time. Most office jobs in large corporations are the same, they expect you to become part of their social circle.

It's difficult to get in to a trade at your age but not impossible, normally we start training people between the age of 14 to 17 because at that age they're still capable of learning quickly and have less social issues.
Just thought I should elaborate on what I meant by social issues. When training an apprentice you need them to be very focused on learning the job but they're also usually learning about how to be an adult as well. Once they get to around 19 or 20 and they're having their first serious relationships and all the drama that goes with that they're no longer really capable of fully focusing and that's why a lot of tradesmen are reluctant to take on "older" apprentices.

That side of things won't be an issue for you, in the eyes of the general public you should be past that stage by now.

If you start chasing after trade jobs - carpenters, electricians, metal fabricators, etc you'll find that a lot of people will be happy to give you a go if you look keen, and if they think you have aptitude they'll likely send you to trade school as well. Get paid to go to school.

As a germophobe I suggest you avoid plumbing though. :)

@Ronald Zeeman. Are those jobs all in loud factories or can you get quality control jobs in another setting. I think I would love a quality control job in a laboratory setting getting to use the microscopes and test equipment. Water quality, soil quality, food quality all sound interesting. An electronics lab could be fun too if its not in a loud factory. I don't know how to go about getting those jobs. Can you work in those settings with just a certificate? If so what kind of certificate would you need?

@Ronald Zeeman. I think I would love a quality control job in a laboratory setting getting to use the microscopes and test equipment.
Think of very high (semiconductor) technology in a dust-free and relatively sterile, quiet atmosphere. Though such jobs may require extensive education backgrounds...I'm not sure.

Certificate is offered in various levels American society for quality. Was real popular and in demand a few years ago.
Either way I already had two college diplomas but, this piece of paper could get you an entry position as an inspector.

Not sure what country you're in or what education and welfare systems you have. Australia and Canada are very similar here, we have public colleges - Technical And Further Education. Tafe. Their trade certificates are recognised nation wide, and if you're on unemployment benefits the government will pay for you to do courses.

Certificate is offered in various levels American society for quality. Was real popular and in demand a few years ago.
Either way I already had two college diplomas but, this piece of paper could get you an entry position as an inspector.

I couldn't have even gotten my foot in the door of most if not all Silicon Valley software developers back in the late 90s without a vocational certificate. In my case it was website design. (Already having a BA was of no value relative to high tech work.) Training cost me around $11,000 but it was worth it.

In Canada the trade certificate is only valid in the province your in. Here the government offers opportunities for heavy equipment operators which my brother in law took advantage of since he lived in rural area up north 3 months paid for even included board. If their is a shortage and they need you they will pay. My wife got two college diplomas paid for by her employer. She was willing to put the work in.

I couldn't have even gotten my foot in the door of most if not all Silicon Valley software developers back in the late 90s without a vocational certificate. In my case it was website design. (Already having a BA was of no value relative to high tech work.) Training cost me around $11,000 but it was worth it.
I got accepted for a degree in computer science and that was all going to be free for me because I was unemployed, 6 years all paid for. But I was going through my big burn out at the time and ran away in to the rainforests instead.

I got accepted for a degree in computer science and that was all going to be free for me because I was unemployed, 6 years all paid for. But I was going through my big burn out at the time and ran away in to the rainforests instead.
Any regrets? Sounded like quite an opportunity. Not one you'd so easily find in the states.

I had a three year diploma in chemical engineering concurrently took a two year diploma in micro biology, just because I could. got first job in coating's application industry found I liked it looked for course that supported this
found a series of courses designed for people in coating manufacturing industry started with certificate then higher certificate and finally two year diploma took years, such an interesting combination I was one of a kind. Then added a new interest quality control worked up certificates until I got management of quality control. Found out I was Aspie
then realized the NT's would never give me an opportunity. When it was to their advantage and they really wanted my skills I simply retired, game over.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom