• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jobs for obviously autistic people

Any regrets? Sounded like quite an opportunity.
It's hard to say if it's regret or not, it was certainly an opportunity that anyone would frown at me for not taking up. But in all honesty I don't believe I was really capable of doing that course at that time. I think I would have had a very different life if I chased that sort of opportunity even just 5 years earlier but back then I was still working and earning money and I couldn't afford to put myself through university.

The system makes a lot of sense to our school leavers though, that's the real purpose of a gap year here. They finish highschool, go on a holiday to Bali, bum around at home for a year while claiming the dole. After 12 months they're long term unemployed and eligible for free university.

Definitely!😂
One thing about my OCD that seems to have come in handy is not being a germaphobe. While I thrive on neatness and order, I can deal with "biological ugliness". Something I discovered in the course of having to take care of a girlfriend's daughter for a few years.

Straight off the top of my head, your mention of germophobia suggests OCD which can be difficult to live with but it's also something highly valued in trade circles - being pedantic about doing a job properly.

It's difficult to get in to a trade at your age but not impossible, normally we start training people between the age of 14 to 17 because at that age they're still capable of learning quickly and have less social issues. As a tradesman you'll spend much of your time working by yourself even when there's other people around you, they leave you alone to concentrate on what you're doing and don't interfere with you much.

The absolute worst jobs are working for retailers where they always want you to be part of the team, part of the family, and they encourage everyone to be all lovey dovey and pat each other on the back all the time. Most office jobs in large corporations are the same, they expect you to become part of their social circle.
I have suspected ocd for some time. I also relate to checking locks and light switches multiple times which also goes along with ocd. Not sure why they did not diagnose that along with asd. The ocd tendencies are part of what I relate to when watching Matthew on The Chosen. In fact our overall mannerisms and way of acting our very similar except I also rock more which he doesn't really do much. I didn't do it so frequently until I had been in retail for awhile so maybe that will eventually go back to being less consistent. Well he don't have the laughter problem either but once again I think the job made that worse too.

Last edited:
Think of very high (semiconductor) technology in a dust-free and relatively sterile, quiet atmosphere. Though such jobs may require extensive education backgrounds...I'm not sure.
The community college near me offers an associate of applied science in laser and photonics degree. That would probably be interesting. I would probably need another job first though to pay for the degree. Thirty-two is a bit old for a scholarship. I regret not going to college when I graduated like my Mama and my Nana tried to get me to but I was needing a break after cramming in so many extra courses during high school plus my Dad did not want me to get a higher education so between the two I ended up stuck in the retail job that he wanted me in. Now I have no job.

The community college near me offers an associate of applied science in laser and photonics degree. That would probably be interesting. I would probably need another job first though to pay for the degree. Thirty-two is a bit old for a scholarship. I regret not going to college when I graduated like my Mama and my Nana tried to get me to but I was needing a break after cramming in so many extra courses during high school plus my Dad did not want me to get a higher education so between the two I ended up stuck in the retail job that he wanted me in. Now I have no job.
Both my wife and I got our additional education water in life, it worked we both raised our renumeration as our employers appreciated our additional education I just changed employers. I took many while unemployed We got by with only one person employed. Fail to plan or plan to fail always worked for us. Even got my son through college
He started with cabinet making flunked out got his act together then applied for a three year program in electro mechanics I mapped out a path he followed it did not deviate passed the course some of the elective could be used against the cabinet making course so now he is only a few credits short of getting this if he needs it in the future. He
also has a certificate that got him into the electro mechanical course.

Now I have no job.
Are you officially unemployed? As in registered for unemployment benefit. If so I'd enquire through their employment agency to see if you can get some sort of assistance with further education to help you find employment. They usually only support courses for industries that are in high demand but that will still leave you with a fair amount of choice.

Are you officially unemployed? As in registered for unemployment benefit. If so I'd enquire through their employment agency to see if you can get some sort of assistance with further education to help you find employment. They usually only support courses for industries that are in high demand but that will still leave you with a fair amount of choice.
I do not get unemployment. I am in a program that is supposed to help you find a job and if I understand correctly I can not do both.

My brother is a Millwright he had to write a test to work outside of Ontario. He has a degree is psychology, did pass the test never worked outside of province. Apparently this test is not easy, He is a Mensa member. Most skilled trades members are not.

Last edited:
My brother is a Millwright he had to write a test to work outside of Ontario. He gas a degree is phycology, did pass the test never worked outside of province. Apparently this test is not easy, He is a Mensa member. Most skilled trades members are not.
He studied algae in college?

Sorry my spelling has been atrocious since the stroke. a bit of brain damage. A lot of stuff I learned in grade school
gone slowly recovering thank God I'm retired.

Last edited:
Sorry my spelling has been atrocious since the stroke. a bit of brain damage. A lot of stuff I learned in grade school
gone slowly recovering thank God I'm retired.
So did you mean psychology? I’m interested in what he studied.

Phycology as such may actually be becoming a more well known field soon though. Harnessing the power of algae: new, greener fuel cells move step closer to reality
I took several graduate level courses in phycology; the reason it caught my eye.

Pretty well everybody I've meet over the years with a psychology degree, had to find employment in another field. My brother ended up as the vice president of his union.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom