• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just hoping to vent & ask a question. 5-7 min read approx

75% of Australians don't have private health cover, most of us prefer the government run Medicare system. It only covers us for "non elective" medical care, but if I walk in to a hospital I don't pay anything. On some occasions I didn't even have my medicare card with me and it didn't matter, my driver's license showed that I'm an Australian citizen and that was good enough. We are also entitled to 10 free visits a year for mental health institutions.

There's a theory that the reason costs are so high in other countries is specifically because of the private health insurance system, this allows health professionals to charge as they please without feeling guilty. Here it's quite heavily regulated in order to keep government costs down.

Sounds like the doctor was having a bad day and was stressed out, still, no excuse to take it out on you. She was very unprofessional. Doctors need to deal with a lot of pressure and stress in their job, they have to deal with it in a professional and calm manner, and if they can't, they are in the wrong job.

There are some very good doctors out there, but it really can be a crap shoot as to what you're going to get. I was lucky with mine, she listened, took my issues seriously, agreed to refer me and within 3 weeks I had an appointment for an assessment.

I must admit, I'm shocked by the prices you have to pay for health care in other countries.

Me too, 3-5000 dollars for an assessment is called robbery in some places. I went through an assessment, I was there around 30 times, 45 minutes each time and I paid around $400 total. It's a shame it's so expensive and difficult in some countries.

Sounds like the doctor was having a bad day and was stressed out, still, no excuse to take it out on you. She was very unprofessional. Doctors need to deal with a lot of pressure and stress in their job, they have to deal with it in a professional and calm manner, and if they can't, they are in the wrong job.

There are some very good doctors out there, but it really can be a crap shoot as to what you're going to get. I was lucky with mine, she listened, took my issues seriously, agreed to refer me and within 3 weeks I had an appointment for an assessment.
Yeah , she definitely did have a bad day and I was her last patient. I got the wrath of it & also I think (now that I’ve slept) i can see she didn’t have a lot of patience to help me understand WHY she wouldnt write the perscription- I probably triggered her. & she triggered me lol. Ce La vie .
I get frustrated when it’s so much work to figure things out. I like to solve things and move forward but that’s not always possible and I need to be more calm about this .

I’m so glad you have a good doctor !!!!! Where do you live ?

Me too, 3-5000 dollars for an assessment is called robbery in some places. I went through an assessment, I was there around 30 times, 45 minutes each time and I paid around $400 total. It's a shame it's so expensive and difficult in some countries.

Now that’s more like it ! I see you’re in Norway ! My grandma is 100% Norwegian & there is some Nordic on my paternal side as well. I hope to go to Norway one day.
Highway robbery for sure haha

Thanks everyone for the comments & support.
I’ve had some sleep & feel much better. It was just a bad day for me and that doctor.
Just gotta dust myself off and try again lol

New Threads

Top Bottom