• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Last person to post wins.

It seems like a good time for this.

It was disappointing in a way to find out why that song is called "Smells like teen spirit". Kurt and his friends got drunk one night. Kurt was wearing a deodorant called "Teen Spirit". A woman wrote "Kurt smells like teen spirit" on the livingroom wall. And the next day it was used as a song title.

Would be nice if it had some deeper meaning, not just random drunk rambling and deodorant. :)

Google also said:

YouTube became a reality on a Monday.​

YouTube is such a huge part not just of the internet, but of 21st century culture as a whole, which makes it hard to imagine a time when it didn’t exist. However, Youtube didn’t really become a reality until February 14th, 2005. On that day, YouTube’s domain came to life and has only grown and become a part of everyone’s life ever since.

It was disappointing in a way to find out why that song is called "Smells like teen spirit". Kurt and his friends got drunk one night. Kurt was wearing a deodorant called "Teen Spirit". A woman wrote "Kurt smells like teen spirit" on the livingroom wall. And the next day it was used as a song title.

Would be nice if it had some deeper meaning, not just random drunk rambling and deodorant. :)
I think it has deeper meaning in the context of the song, since it's making fun of subcultures and our need to feel different while finding groups who accept us. He's kind of saying isn't this a cliche that each generation does this, even though we can't help it?

I think it has deeper meaning in the context of the song, since it's making fun of subcultures and our need to feel different while finding groups who accept us. He's kind of saying isn't this a cliche that each generation does this, even though we can't help it?

Maybe, but all I can think about when I hear that song now is this:

iu

:)

Teen Spirit deodorant really was an odd and inane social phenomenon among teens in the 90s in America. You walk into any high school and the stench of that stuff was overwhelming.

1673889336225.jpeg

I think Axe Bodyspray was the big thing here for a while in the 1990s. The problem with that was that Axe didn't really smell good. Strong smell but not a good smell. And when you have 20 guys in a locker room after gymclass dousing themselves with copius amounts of Axe, there's enough smell in there to choke a herd of elephants. If someone had lit a match, the entire town would have been destroyed by a Axe fireball.
The only axe a guy really needs…
448F0E1A-97C0-4F13-8801-F25BBAEB7483.jpeg

My dad gave me my first axe when I was 6. :D And sent me into the forest to learn to use it. As you can imagine, my mom was not pleased... She was not on board with that decision. But the sooner you start to learn, the better.
Do you still have it?

I actually do still have it. I think I have all my old axes, there's a pile of them in the woodshed. My granddad was a lumberjack so it's a family thing.

Ol’ Granddad and a few of his buddies?

3900CD3F-C442-44AE-B3E1-64DD581D9FFF.jpeg

Tens of thousands of Norwegians worked in the forest in the first half of the 20th century. This picture is of loggers taking a break in the field in the 1920s. (Photo: Johan Sønnik Andersen / Anno Norwegian Forest Museum)

Interesting industry and culture that arose around logging. I’ve been reading up on it a bit and it is fascinating. Lots of traditional masculine roles, but with a unique twist as well.

…Being one of the guys, not being prissy and not standing out in terms of food preferences, were part of the culture. They were packed into the bunkhouses like sardines, and being oppositional, starting discussions or disagreeing couldn’t be done thoughtlessly. Yet tolerance was also important for preserving the peace in such a cramped environment," Kaldal says.

Women in the bunkhouse

Lumberjacks definitely had a macho culture. Today, Norwegians might use the term guttastemning, akin to the English use of ‘brotherhood,’ a friendship like no other.

Kaldal writes that the Scandinavian bunkhouses improved somewhat over the course of the 20th century, once women came in as cooks. Being one woman among so many men was undoubtedly challenging at times.

“But it was a very transparent environment. If anyone verbally abused or otherwise harassed her, the others would hear about it. There wasn't much opportunity to cover things up,” says Kaldal. Often she also might have been related to many of the guys.

“One of these women says she was protected, probably due to the fact that she needed it from time to time."

Could be a guy without being strong-as-bear

Although forest living had its clear behavioural norms, you did not have to be a muscular guy to find your place.

“Even in the woods your manhood could be recognized without it being related to your physical strength,” says Kaldal.

You could compensate by tackling the rest of the work in a sensible way.

“You could be skilled and nimble at driving logs down the river. And whoever was able to manage that could become a hero.”

Audacity was fine as long as a logger didn't became foolhardy. Then you were quickly seen as someone who couldn't take care of yourself or your mates.

New Threads

Top Bottom