• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Let's Get Small...

I recently joined a FB group for slime moulds. They're only a mm or 2 in size most of them. The macro photography is wonderful and opens up a whole new world:

313289825_10227668177679849_8822416519080986755_n.jpg

313198929_997954994932046_3492800649545364819_n.jpg

311841446_1152878645340490_7120147613287041481_n.jpg

I need to get out there with my macro lenses, now that I know pictures like this are impossible without my tripod, but also a compiling software to merge multiple images at different focal points, so that everything in shot is more in focus, rather than the usual snippet you get when using macro lenses that are so close to an object.

Ed
Thank you for those wonderful photos. Since studying Mycology, I have beenn fascinated by slime molds, both cellular and acellular.

I recently joined a FB group for slime moulds. They're only a mm or 2 in size ..
This must be "bio film". I clean it out of the edges of Jacuzzis in summer as part of my self employment.

The "bio film" expression always made me shudder :)

I just basically scrub with watered down chlorine or Bromine which most spas run on as it's a bit kinder on people in a tub, which is much smaller than a large swimming pool.

This must be "bio film". I clean it out of the edges of Jacuzzis in summer as part of my self employment.

The "bio film" expression always made me shudder :)

I just basically scrub with watered down chlorine or Bromine which most spas run on as it's a bit kinder on people in a tub, which is much smaller than a large swimming pool.
Biofilms are usually microbial and are found in almost all water systems. The bacteria are those which thrive in exceeding nutrient poor conditions. Water systems for pharmaceutical operations are specifically designed to eliminate/control biofilms and are hideously expensive to operate. A common procedure is to use circulating water systems at 80° C with demand heat exchangers to cool it at point of use.

..and ultra violet tubes arranged so the water flows through Gerald.
This was in large 50m pool plantrooms that I used to work in.

Ozone generators were used here in the past but unpleasant to work on.

Exactly. We are all fused together. We are all connected by cells. This brings it down to we are all connected by mathematical equations of division by cells. I just had a cellular mind fart divided by two. :)
Each time a cell in our body reproduces, the telomeres in it lose a segment. When it runs out of telomeres it no longer splits. That means it can no longer assist in healing damage and when it dies, it's dead. Plus aging cells become less efficient at doing what cells do.

The cell's offspring also have shortened telomeres. It is a defense against cancer but it also means you get weaker as you age and eventually die.

I recently joined a FB group for slime moulds. They're only a mm or 2 in size most of them. The macro photography is wonderful and opens up a whole new world:

313289825_10227668177679849_8822416519080986755_n.jpg

313198929_997954994932046_3492800649545364819_n.jpg

311841446_1152878645340490_7120147613287041481_n.jpg

I need to get out there with my macro lenses, now that I know pictures like this are impossible without my tripod, but also a compiling software to merge multiple images at different focal points, so that everything in shot is more in focus, rather than the usual snippet you get when using macro lenses that are so close to an object.

Ed
I love slime molds…grew them in graduate school - the yellow amoeba-like stage is fascinating to me. Imagine my delight when I discovered them growing wild in my property.

Your photos are of the fruiting stage. Here is the amoeba stage:

1667299491217.jpeg

This is all a single cell- no boundaries. Yet so large as to be quite easily seen by the naked eye.

When I think of these miracles, I am in awe.

I don't have to imagine, been there done that. Killed by a needle a dentist gave me, best sleep I ever had in my life.

In February 1992 I went to see the free dentist that was attached to the side of the Lyell McEwin hospital in Elizabeth. I explained to the dentist that I didn't want any fancy mucking around, just pull the tooth out.

The dentist injected a local anaesthetic next to the tooth then said "While we're waiting for that to go numb come in to the next room and I'll take an X-ray so I can make sure there's no complications." No worries, I got up and walked into the next room, also with a dental chair and an X-ray machine. As I walked into that room I suddenly felt very ill and very dizzy, the dentist noticed and asked if I was alright.

When I woke up I was staring at the ceiling. I thought I was home in my own bed, I'd just had a wonderful sleep, the best sleep I'd ever had in my life. For the first time that I could remember there was absolutely no pain in my body anywhere, what a wonderful way to wake up, what a wonderful day. Then the ceiling caught my attention, it was white and I was pretty sure that the ceiling in my bedroom was yellow.

Then a man in a white lab coat leaned forward in to my field of vision. I couldn't understand what he was doing in my bedroom, he was talking at a million miles an hour and I couldn't understand a word he was saying, but he seemed very concerned about me, he was a very nice man. Then my memory began to return and the man's voice started to make sense, he told me that I had a fit and asked if there was any history of epilepsy in my family. No. He told me that I had been clinically dead for a minute and seventeen seconds, he'd been performing CPR on me while waiting for help to arrive.

Two large orderlies from the hospital arrived then with a gurney. The gurney didn't fit through the door so they picked me up and carried me out and laid me on the gurney then wheeled me through in to the hospital. Three nurses started fussing over me fitting sensors for an ECG machine. By this time my wits and memory had fully returned, one of the nurses started trying to put a drip in my wrist. "Sorry sweetheart but I'm not letting you do that, the last time I let someone stick a needle in me is how I ended up on this gurney in a hospital." She said that she had to, it was standard procedure. I told her more firmly that it wouldn't be happening this time.

They kept me there for an hour under observation. When they finally agreed there was nothing wrong with me and released me I marched straight back to the dentist and asked if he'd please pull the tooth out now. He said he'd need to give me another needle. "Absolutely not! Not after that last one, anyway, it's still numb." I lied. He pulled the tooth for me, I think I did a pretty good job of pretending that it didn't hurt. For several hours after this I still felt that strange euphoria that I'd woken up with, and there was still no pain in my back or my ruined knee.

A week later I went back to the hospital for a talk with their chief neurosurgeon about what had happened to me. He told me that what happened to me was called a Neural Seizure, that means my brain shut down. That's why the dentist had asked if I had epilepsy, my body spasmed for a while exactly the same as it would have if you'd chopped my head off. He said that when a brain shuts down like that there is nothing that medical science can do about it. He said sometimes the brain will just switch itself back on again like mine did, and sometimes it doesn't.

What triggered the seizure was Adrenaline. They put it in all anaesthetics these days for people with heart problems and high blood pressure. No one is allergic to Adrenaline itself, if they were their own bodies would kill them during birth. The problem is the preservative that they put in the Adrenaline, it's called Sodium Meta-bisulphate. People that brew their own beer know this chemical as bottle steriliser, and commercial fishermen use it as a steriliser for their catch before they freeze it. It's fine if I ingest it, but just a few micrograms in my blood will kill me. One in ten thousand Australians suffer this allergy according to our government, that's roughly 2300 of us. I don't like dentists any more.
WOW.

I’m jealous.

I’m jealous.

Sorry but I don't understand what there is to be jealous about here. These days they put that adrenilin mix in so many things that I reject all needles unless given a complete breakdown of all compounds in what they want to inject me with. Commercial medical companies won't give you this information out of fear that their competitors will copy them.

So ALL intravenous medicines are now unavailable to me including vaccinations.

I also have to regularly argue with doctors and nurses who claim that my allergy doesn't exist. I had to warn a district nurse that any attempt to inject me with anything will be viewed as an attempt on my life and will be met with the legal definition of "reasonable force".

My government recognises the allergy and even provides statistics on it but for some reason most medical "professionals" think they know better.

Sometimes I have to fight to stay alive.

[Edit] I forgot to mention, standard first aid training these days teaches people that the first thing you do to almost any accident victim is hit them with an Epi Pen, that's instant death for me.

Last edited:
I’m sorry. I did not express myself well. Of course this was a terrible thing to have happen to you and to anyone.

At the same time, to have had the experience of dying and death would be one that could enrich life. I worked as a hospice nurse and have been with people as they experience death in real time. It is an other worldly experience.

So, I am comfortable with death,

Again, very very sorry it sounded uncaring of your experience. And I do understand the terrible fights with medical establishment over a life-threatening situation/condition. Do you wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace?

I asked about getting a tag that I could wear and was told that I should make my own or get one made. In an emergency situation I'm not sure that anyone would take any notice of such a thing anyway, most of them refuse to listen when I'm conscious.

As for the actual experience of death, to me it fits the dictionary definition - cessation of existence. While I was dead I simply did not exist. Death itself doesn't hold any real fear for me but it's not like I'd be able to change my mind afterwards. I'm glad I'm not religious, all that fear to no purpose.

In my country, in general, emergency responders do look at tags. It’s part of the initial assessment. EMS, here at least, are very conscious of procedures to follow and would look for and notice the tag.

A medical alert tag can be expensive. Here, you can go to a pet store and engrave your own tag cheaply. I would do it.

One of my clients gets grand mal seizures and standard emergency treatment is Valium. That stops his heart. I make sure his chart says NO VALIUM in as many places as I can.

Thank you for explaining And being patient with my poorly written post.

Thank you for explaining And being patient with my poorly written post.
That's OK, I wasn't upset or offended, just honestly curious about what there was in that situation that you envied.

Emergency services aren't operating at their best here lately. Not their fault, poor management causes things like ramping and teams are tied up too long and a lot of emergency calls are ending up with responses that are too late.

Sorry but I don't understand what there is to be jealous about here. These days they put that adrenilin mix in so many things that I reject all needles unless given a complete breakdown of all compounds in what they want to inject me with. Commercial medical companies won't give you this information out of fear that their competitors will copy them.

So ALL intravenous medicines are now unavailable to me including vaccinations.

I also have to regularly argue with doctors and nurses who claim that my allergy doesn't exist. I had to warn a district nurse that any attempt to inject me with anything will be viewed as an attempt on my life and will be met with the legal definition of "reasonable force".

My government recognises the allergy and even provides statistics on it but for some reason most medical "professionals" think they know better.

Sometimes I have to fight to stay alive.

[Edit] I forgot to mention, standard first aid training these days teaches people that the first thing you do to almost any accident victim is hit them with an Epi Pen, that's instant death for me.
Huh? I have had a lot of first aid training, and the epi-pen is only used if there is an obvious state of anaphylaxis.

Modern medicine and "injections" have saved my life twice. Antibiotics and vaccinations and modern anesthesia are among the greatest blessings of modern science. You can argue about whether this or that vaccination is really necessary and a small percentage of people may have an adverse reaction and need to be careful, but there is no rational way to deny the spectacular reduction of morbidity and mortality from assorted diseases they fight. Proper surgery isn't even possible without anesthesia.

WOW.

I’m jealous.
I had a hernia surgery a while back, and I'm not sure what they used. I think it was propofol that knocked me out initially, but then they administered a type of anesthesia that can be neutralized and you wake up instantly. Wide awake, well rested, not at all groggy.

Thirty years ago I had knee surgery, and it took me 6 hours to recover enough to go home. I had wild tachycardia that kicked in if I made the slightest effort to move and they had to give me Indorol to tame it. And they had to pump me full of Compazine to keep me from puking my guts out. Things have changed so much for the better!

Huh? I have had a lot of first aid training, and the epi-pen is only used if there is an obvious state of anaphylaxis.
My last first aid course was just last year. Naturally when we were told to practice using dummy epi pens I raised the issue.

Modern medicine and "injections" have saved my life twice. Antibiotics and vaccinations and modern anesthesia are among the greatest blessings of modern science. You can argue about whether this or that vaccination is really necessary.....
You seem to have missed my point. I'm not anti vax or anti medication. But unless they can tell me exactly what's in it I can't have it. I've been misinformed and outright lied to by that many medicos that I won't just take their word for it either, it's not their own lives that they're playing with. Full chemical compound list from the manufacturer or it's no go.

There's nothing quite like death (the threat of) to create feelings of never feeling so alive.

Until all medical test results on varying systems in the body point to the 'dwindling phase'
(stuff is wearing out, breaking down, developing faults, requires medical engineers)

dwindle away until we die.

I too would appreciate some sort of date I might expect to take my last breath.
I could always create that date for myself but believe I might experience FOMO :)

I'd like to state that I'd prefer a natural passing but have to wonder if future countless medical procedures and being so full of synthetic drugs that alter varying systems functioning could be classed as 'natural'?

Until I've made up my mind about any or all of the above I guess I'll keep on waking up in a morning and going to work.
Direct my sac of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen to the workplace and contemplate insignificance...
... until colleagues makes jokes and say some really funny stuff.
It's worth turning up to work just for that :)

My last first aid course was just last year. Naturally when we were told to practice using dummy epi pens I raised the issue.

You seem to have missed my point. I'm not anti vax or anti medication. But unless they can tell me exactly what's in it I can't have it. I've been misinformed and outright lied to by that many medicos that I won't just take their word for it either, it's not their own lives that they're playing with. Full chemical compound list from the manufacturer or it's no go.
I'm not so demanding. If it is a drug that is in common use, it is easy enough to query about adverse reactions for the entire compound and decide if it is worth the risk. That is public data. One doesn't really need to know everything that is in it. Most of the chemical names are meaningless to a layperson. One just needs to know if the thing one is allergic to is in it.

I tried and could not find any reference about adrenaline or epinephrine allergy. What I did find were a few articles specifically relating to lidocaine - epinephrine injection by dentists. The epinephrine constricts local blood vessels which decreases blood loss and keeps the lidocaine from spreading into the system too fast. If it gets injected into a vein by accident there is a chance for an adverse reaction but it is pretty rare.

So if you could give me a link to the source information I'd appreciate it.

I had real trouble finding anything on it today. Back when I first researched in the 90s there was information everywhere. Google showed 0 results, DuckDuckGo showed more. It might have helped if you had searched for the drug I named in my original story - Citanest.

I did however find a pertinent result that you can follow up if you're interested.

"Central nervous system toxicity is a graded response with symptoms and signs of escalating severity. The first symptoms are circumoral paraesthesia, numbness of the tongue, light-headedness, hyperacusis, tinnitus and visual disturbances. Dysarthria, muscular twitching or tremors are more serious and precede the onset of generalized convulsions. These signs must not be mistaken for neurotic behaviour. Unconsciousness and grand mal convulsions may follow which may last from a few seconds to several minutes. Hypoxia and hypercarbia occur rapidly following convulsions due to the increased muscular activity, together with the interference with respiration and possible loss of functional airways. In severe cases apnoea may occur. Acidosis, hyperkalaemia, hypocalcaemia and hypoxia increase and extend the toxic effects of local anaesthetics."

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/163
The way the chief neurosurgeon explained things to me was very straight forward and made simple sense. I'll take his advice over anyone elses for the rest of my life.

I have since then been to dentists but I have to arrange with them many weeks ahead to make sure they have the right anaesthetic for me. As soon as I mention this allergy to a dentist they reognise what I'm describing to them. It's GPs and Nurses that refuse to listen.

[Edit] Found another example:
Septocaine® and epinephrine 1:100,000 is preferred during operative or surgical procedures when improved visualization of the surgical field is desirable. Reactions to Septocaine® (pain and headache, for example, or convulsions or respiratory arrest following accidental intravascular injection) are characteristic of those associated with other amide-type local anesthetics. Septocaine® contains sodium metabisulfite, a sulfite that may cause allergic-type reactions including anaphylactic symptoms and life-threatening or less severe asthmatic episodes in certain susceptible people.

https://www.septodontusa.com/products/septocaine-epinephrine-1100000

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom