• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lots and lots and lots of autistic folk

I'm another one who has auditory processing issues, I've come to realise, which is kind of hilarious (and sometimes annoying and a wee bit embarrassing😳😏)because of my "career" as a musician/vocalist. I guess, sometimes, we gravitate to occupations that help us develop our deficit areas🤔.

all noise in the room is at the same volume, background and foreground, everything louder than everything else. Like a Motorhead concert!

all noise in the room is at the same volume, background and foreground, everything louder than everything else. Like a Motorhead concert!
Or I miss the main words so it's nothing but gaps. Or hear a word completely wrong. I go on a motor: "uh huh. Uh huh. Um hmm. Uh huh. I see." Etc etc and forever. Without usually understanding a thing a person is saying. It's my biggest mask: acting like I understood when I completely don't

I don't know whether this is related, but I can't listen to people give me directions (walking or driving).
While the person is speaking, I can usually only mentally follow along until the second step in the directions. At that point, it all turns into a jumble of sounds and words.
If I don't just stop listening at that point, I will just start to get frustrated and angry.

Usually I'm thinking "im going to forget all this, what did they just say? What the heck is wrong with my brain?" whilst they are talking. This is the real reason men don't ask for directions 😜

I don't know whether this is related, but I can't listen to people give me directions (walking or driving).
While the person is speaking, I can usually only mentally follow along until the second step in the directions. At that point, it all turns into a jumble of sounds and words.
If I don't just stop listening at that point, I will just start to get frustrated and angry.
I have this problem, also.
Someone would try and explain something new in real time via voice, and my mind can't follow and shuts down in confusion which may become triggering.
I tell the person that I have to figure it out for myself, or watch the "tutorial in a video/live-stream.

It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

Usually I'm thinking "im going to forget all this, what did they just say? What the heck is wrong with my brain?" whilst they are talking.
...And then I spot a "Shiny Thing"...🤩

How the hell do you stop it, other than meds that don't always work?
I am researching ADHD to try and find out. :cool:

My flavour ain't ADHD, it's much more to do with how bloody awful other people are at giving directions in a clear rational and logical manner.
I think many only see those directions they are reeling out to you, from their own context of knowing the area. They see it clearly in their minds and describe what they see, not thinking that I don't have that context with which to turn their words into meaning. So as my terribly one-tracked mind spends 100% conscious effort on understanding their first half dozen words before the words themselves are lost to me, they are already on to their next paragraph of detail. And there's only so many times I can ask them to repeat it! 😕

I hate asking directions. For one thing, I don't like exposing myself to vulnerability in public, and telling someone I'm lost makes me vulnerable. Secondly, in the end, I've preferred to find other ways of making my way as much as possible. Be as independent as I possibly can from others, because I'm the only one I've ever been able to rely on (in my mind anyway).

Nothing stops it, apart from a terrible illness you may contract, called Neuro Typicality Normalis.
You wake up one morning to find...
Nothing!
Everything's normal! You can suddenly understand people, all of them! (apart from those annoying ND's).
Party's suddenly become compelling, inane conversations about nothing are exciting beyond measure, hobbies and interests are suddenly things to do in the odd 5 minutes once a month and are NEVER talked about, clothes become comfortable, even breakfast becomes tempting!

It's a terrible terrible thing to behold! Post-ND's trying to stim and yet completely unable to raise any motivation to do so. Desperate for a melt-down and yet functioning perfectly the whole day. Even willingly engaging with other people!!! 😱 Heck, I've even see one or two voluntarily go into a supermarket!
The horror... the horror!

Another factor to consider is that we are finding a lot of females who are autistic. Within my lifetime, there was a time when it was thought that females could not be autistic. It was thought an exclusively male disorder. Some of that bias remains, particularly in Europe.
Lived in every country in europe your whole life?

New Threads

Top Bottom