• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Meaning of No Pain No Gain? + More

Based on what you wrote I think you want to exercise or do cardio to get in better shape. This will cause soreness as you build strength and endurance, but it should not cause literal pain unless you go too far too fast. If you do 10+ real push ups you will probably start to feel the “burn” as the saying goes. Later that day or the next there will be soreness, but it shouldn’t be actual pain. It’s more discomfort.
If you stand still and hold a broom/stick/rifle/ whatever or any light object over your head for a while, you will start to feel the burn just holding the object up in the air. That’s the ATP or lactate or whatever it’s called doing chemical stuff in your body. Same deal, maybe causes soreness but not literal pain.

Perhaps the original phrase came from a professional athlete. When real pain helps facilitate real gains. But for the rest of us, not so much. ;)

So I watched a video on YouTube today going over various phrases that either upset or confused autistic people and one of them in particular caught me off guard and inspired me to make this post. And I don't know what kind of engagement I expect from this just felt compelled to post it.

It was the phrase "No pain no gain", and according to the autistic creator making the video it isn't meant to be taken quite literally which threw me because I've always assumed that it was.
I've most commonly heard that phrase used in regard to exercising and working out, and I always assumed that it meant that in order to gain muscle, or perhaps even lose weight, you have to be in pain while working out and that just never appealed to me so I've never really worked out before.
Which got me thinking about other similar phrases and wondering how literally they're meant to be taken too, phrases such as.. "Feel the burn!", and "Pain is weakness leaving the body!". Like are you really supposed to enjoy the burning sensation from working out? Again doesn't sound appealing to me, and do people really think that pain is weakness leaving the body or is it just a saying?
But yeah none of this rhetoric sounded appealing to me, because to me it made it seem like you have to be some level of masochist to work out at the gym, and that you need to embrace and enjoy the pain if you want to see any results. Which my thoughts to all that were.. "Umm no thank you, pain is painful, why would I want to subject myself to that and even enjoy it?"

Pain is bad.
Pleasure is good.
Yet in my view, we have a form-er (here and now) and a here-after (there and now). "No Pain is No Gain" is true in the former, but in the here-after we want to rest.

So Work Hard while you still can.

Edit: We Believe Allah can offer pleasure in both Former or Hereafter. Or only the Former. Or only the here-after. Or Pain in both.

Have you considered exercising at home. (I have never set foot in a gym even once in my life.) Also weights are not necessary to exercise. Especially since you are not trying to build muscle

That is a good point. Lifting weights is more about gaining mass, not losing it. So when the goal is to lose body weight, there are other forms of training that is better I think.

Well what kind of exercises can one do at home to lose weight?
I dunno, but what I do know if that "just hit the gym!" seems to be the most common response/suggestion given the those who need to lose weight.
And I live in a small one bedroom apartment to I don't have the space to buy my own equipment.

However like I said I am terrified of the gym because I'm worried I'd be judged, even if I wouldn't be.
I worry it'll be a repeat of PE, which I'd rather not revive as it was an awful experience and I hated it.
No, I wasn't judged by anyone in PE unless you count the PE teacher who was just doing his job in order to evaluate my grade. Still don't understand why PE is graded as it just made things worse for me, just made me feel more self conscious than I already was.
Because the main reason pe was awful for me was because I was made to feel super self conscious about my fitness. I'd look around me at my peers and see them doing everything effortlessly and I'm done cases even showing off that certain exercises were beneath them by making said exercises more challenging like doing one armed pushups for example.
I dunno if anyone was judging me in pe but I certainly worried they could be silently judging me since I did seem to be the only kid in the class having troubles with everything.

So I worry that could happen even nowadays if I went to a gym, that I'd just be worrying the whole time I'm there that the other gym goers could be silently judging me and that I'd have feelings of inadequacy again by seeing all the other people doing exercises effortlessly while I'm not capable of such a feat.

I think the best exercises for that is things like cycling, swimming, walking, running, jogging, interval training. But that's not at home. 🤔 People do use weight training to lose weight also, I did some googlin' and found this:

Here's What You Need to Know About Weight Training for Weight Loss

And there are probably many, many other sites out there with good tips about this. But you mentioned "at home", if you want to do this at home, you need some free space and money to buy some basic equipment.

Last edited:
How about hiking? That is a simple way to burn some calories and does not require exercise equipment. Those pilates balls that I mentioned earlier tend to come with a good list of simple exercise routines too. Health conditions can affect weight as well though, not just exercise vs lack thereof.

I think the best exercises for that is things like cycling, swimming, walking, running, jogging, interval training. But that's not at home. 🤔 People do use weight training to lose weight also, I did some googlin' and found this:

Here's What You Need to Know About Weight Training for Weight Loss

And there are probably many, many other sites out there with good tips about this. But you mentioned "at home", if you want to do this at home, you need some free space and money to buy some basic equipment.

I actually do own a bike, but haven't taken it out all that much as I actually only recently got it and just haven't found the time, or perhaps I should say I haven't made much time for it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions and link 🙂

How about hiking? That is a simple way to burn some calories and does not require exercise equipment. Those pilates balls that I mentioned earlier tend to come with a good list of simple exercise routines too. Health conditions can affect weight as well though, not just exercise vs lack thereof.
Unfortunately I don't really have any good joking places nearby, I'd have to drive miles away for one.
And I get a lot of walking in at my job since I essentially shop for people as my job is pulling online orders.
So I dunno why given that I have some weight on me, could be diet perhaps

So I watched a video on YouTube today going over various phrases that either upset or confused autistic people and one of them in particular caught me off guard and inspired me to make this post. And I don't know what kind of engagement I expect from this just felt compelled to post it.

It was the phrase "No pain no gain", and according to the autistic creator making the video it isn't meant to be taken quite literally which threw me because I've always assumed that it was.
I've most commonly heard that phrase used in regard to exercising and working out, and I always assumed that it meant that in order to gain muscle, or perhaps even lose weight, you have to be in pain while working out and that just never appealed to me so I've never really worked out before.
Which got me thinking about other similar phrases and wondering how literally they're meant to be taken too, phrases such as.. "Feel the burn!", and "Pain is weakness leaving the body!". Like are you really supposed to enjoy the burning sensation from working out? Again doesn't sound appealing to me, and do people really think that pain is weakness leaving the body or is it just a saying?
But yeah none of this rhetoric sounded appealing to me, because to me it made it seem like you have to be some level of masochist to work out at the gym, and that you need to embrace and enjoy the pain if you want to see any results. Which my thoughts to all that were.. "Umm no thank you, pain is painful, why would I want to subject myself to that and even enjoy it?"
I think people who say things like that are bragging about how tough and goal-oriented they are. (Or they are a drill sergeant/athletic coach.) If you start easy and slowly work your way up to a healthy level of fitness, there's no reason why you would ever feel anything but a little bit tired. However, big muscles or competitive levels of endurance do require a bit of pain.

If you push yourself to your limit the first time you work out, you will hurt for several days afterward. Start gently, well below your limit, and ease up to it. In basic training, we had guys who were literally cripples on day 2. I'd been working out hard for six months before, and it was no problem.

One thing about a hard workout. Once you are used to them, there's no more next-day pain.

If you want to maximize the rate at which you gain whatever you are after, each time you work out, you try to exceed your limits. As you attempt to exceed your limits, you'll feel pain. This is just as true of running as it is for weight lifting. Your body will produce endorphins to handle the pain. This is where the "runner's high" happens. You must be very fit to experience it because those endorphins don't flow until you have pushed yourself for quite a while. A not-as-fit person won't be able to get to that point.

In weight lifting, after a strenuous workout, the pain recedes rapidly, but the endorphins stick around for a while. Your body falls into a delicious languor, and everything feels very good. Until you get used to working out, this won't happen because you won't be able to push yourself hard enough or long enough.

There is psychological satisfaction in having tested your limits and gotten closer to a goal. If you don't have any fitness goals, and it is unimportant to you, or you have no interest in testing your physical limits, you won't feel these things. You also need to be good at delayed gratification because reaching a fitness goal is a long-term project—months or even years, depending on what you are after.

Pain is one of those things in life where attitude makes a big difference. Learning to handle pain - and not to focus on it - isn't just about exercise. It is a lesson that will serve one well in life.

I dunno, but what I do know if that "just hit the gym!" seems to be the most common response/suggestion given the those who need to lose weight.
And I live in a small one bedroom apartment to I don't have the space to buy my own equipment.

However like I said I am terrified of the gym because I'm worried I'd be judged, even if I wouldn't be.
I worry it'll be a repeat of PE, which I'd rather not revive as it was an awful experience and I hated it.
No, I wasn't judged by anyone in PE unless you count the PE teacher who was just doing his job in order to evaluate my grade. Still don't understand why PE is graded as it just made things worse for me, just made me feel more self conscious than I already was.
Because the main reason pe was awful for me was because I was made to feel super self conscious about my fitness. I'd look around me at my peers and see them doing everything effortlessly and I'm done cases even showing off that certain exercises were beneath them by making said exercises more challenging like doing one armed pushups for example.
I dunno if anyone was judging me in pe but I certainly worried they could be silently judging me since I did seem to be the only kid in the class having troubles with everything.

So I worry that could happen even nowadays if I went to a gym, that I'd just be worrying the whole time I'm there that the other gym goers could be silently judging me and that I'd have feelings of inadequacy again by seeing all the other people doing exercises effortlessly while I'm not capable of such a feat.
Lifting weights is not all about building muscle mass. To build mass, you do a few repetitions at higher weights. Suppose, instead, you do a lot of reps at a lower weight. You'll ultimately burn more calories and improve your cardiovascular fitness. I also found that a hard workout after work reduced my appetite for dinner.

Running/walking is great for cardio but does nothing for the upper body. If you walk one mile daily and keep your diet steady, you will lose ten pounds over a year. Jog two miles instead, and you'll lose twice as much weight and be in better cardio shape.

Losing weight by diet alone will only leave you less fit than when you were heavy. It peels off muscle as well as fat.

Putting on muscle mass is a good thing. I don't know why you wouldn't want to do that. Muscles require a lot of energy to maintain, which increases your basal rest metabolism. It does not have the negative effects on health that being overweight does. A stronger person finds all of life's physical tasks easier. They will be much less likely to be injured in a given situation.

You are not a kid in PE anymore. When I was a kid in PE, I threw a baseball "like a girl." I couldn't dribble without bobbling the ball almost immediately, hardly able to make a basket. Always the last in running, Always the last chosen when being picked for a team. PE was a combination of coaches deciding who they wanted on the school sports teams and preparing for being drafted into the military. I got into physical fitness after I left home for college and had no coaches yelling at me or anyone else to please but myself.

Nobody at the gym judges—that's in your head. They are focused on themselves and their training partner, if they have one. If anything, most will respect you for making the effort since few people do.

In psychology, this is called the "spotlight effect." You are looking at yourself through other people's eyes and imagining the worst. These people are not people you socialize with or have to coexist with. Why would you even care what they think?

I guess the real question is why you want to lose weight.

this "judgement free zone" and "anti-lunk" environment where people like yourself can come in, do their thing, and not feel like people are looking and judging, nor are there the high school - college aged "bros and hos" there to show off and mock people.
It makes all the difference when you’re in a gym that is not in the same area as your high school so you can be around people that don’t know you to prevent being bullied. Most of these bullies will never stop bullying you so it’s best to venture out somewhere further away like in a big city or similar so there’s less chance of seeing them around.

Every Gym teacher, Physical Education coach, and Boot Camp drill instructor taught me that physical exercise is to be used as a form of punishment. If I did something they didn't like, they would force me (under threat of worse punishment) to perform calisthenics until I puked, passed out, or both.

Through the pain, what did I gain? Only hatred for any form of physical exercise involving calisthenics.

New Threads

Top Bottom