• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Meme

As a person who is very into memes, it's funny to see how wrong those memes can be seen by people, who aren't into them, heh
It's not that I'm not into them, in fact I'm constantly frustrated at not being able to understand many of them that others pick up immediately, it's almost like another area of social exclusion - everyone else is in on the joke, I'm scratching my head, picking my nose, and going "Huh?". For me being unable to process imagery internally probably doesn't help. A dislike and avoidance of many social media streams (from TV to films to internet etc) isn't going to benefit either. A memory condition called SDAM doesn't help at all, impossible to recall experienced memories, and thus very hard to recall otherwise well known images and people. etc etc etc.

But there also seems to be some implicit knowledge of who the meme is speaking to and what the context is, that I tend to completely miss.

I find that I don't get a large percentage of memes. I enjoy many of them greatly, but a lot I just look at and totally don't get.
Some memes are very surreal and very "timed," in the way that they explode one month because some person said something somewhere, and then next month that meme is forgotten. I am into memes a lot, but some of them I don't understand as well, because I don't know the context of the meme, which is when I start googling :)

A dislike and avoidance of many social media streams (from TV to films to internet etc) isn't going to benefit either.

Yup, that's the main problem with memes. At one point I totally lost interest in memes, so when half a year later I tried to see, what's popular and funny, I was ultra confused.
but specifically this meme, for example, is very easy to understand for me. I don't need to know who people are, I just read the text, look at funny picture, immediately understand the joke. There is no context here for me to think what does it mean, I just get it, because earlier I saw many similar memes where there is "me," "something scary behind me" and a text explaining the joke.

...but specifically this meme, for example, is very easy to understand for me. I don't need to know who people are, I just read the text, look at funny picture, immediately understand the joke. There is no context here for me to think what does it mean, I just get it, because earlier I saw many similar memes where there is "me," "something scary behind me" and a text explaining the joke.
Then maybe you do have the context but it's in the form of subtext, and as such it's subconscious, you don't need to cogitate on it because you already understand and are familiar with the context on an intuitive level? So your subconscious simply did it's normal job and just made you conscious aware of the underlying meaning it already had.

For me, seeing this image just tells me there are two humans in it, both of whom have a connection of some sort with autism and probably are meant to represent two possible versions of an autistic person. Nothing to tell me who is meant to be looking at this (and presumably understand from that perspective). Is it one of those characters in the image, Is it a third party such as me as an autistic, or is it an allistic person's point of view?
Is it about music? Is it about repetitive behaviour.
Is it saying repetition is cool not creepy, or the opposite?
None of that is apparent to me beyond some vague and multiple possibilities for which the image and words themselves don't help to define as an abstraction.

Then maybe you do have the context but it's in the form of subtext, and as such it's subconscious, you don't need to cogitate on it because you already understand and are familiar with the context on an intuitive level? So your subconscious simply did it's normal job and just made you conscious aware of the underlying meaning it already had.
Hm yes, you're right.
For me, seeing this image just tells me there are two humans in it, both of whom have a connection of some sort with autism and probably are meant to represent two possible versions of an autistic person. Nothing to tell me who is meant to be looking at this (and presumably understand from that perspective). Is it one of those characters in the image, Is it a third party such as me as an autistic, or is it an allistic person's point of view?
Is it about music? Is it about repetitive behaviour.
Is it saying repetition is cool not creepy, or the opposite?
None of that is apparent to me beyond some vague and multiple possibilities for which the image and words themselves don't help to define as an abstraction.
And I understand your point of view as well. Memes are indeed confusing, and most of them are made by teenagers for teenagers, so everyone else has to deal with it, I guess :)

Hm yes, you're right.

And I understand your point of view as well. Memes are indeed confusing, and most of them are made by teenagers for teenagers, so everyone else has to deal with it, I guess :)
Hey! I'm totally immature enough to be considered a teenager!
(admittedly a very old teenager, but it's the thought that counts! 😏)

A teenager in spirit with decades of experience, that sounds damn good! ;)
That's cos you ain't see the actual thing in real life!
Decades of experience, expressed with all the wisdom and patience of a 5 year old! 🙃

I mean, what can ya do when your daughter tells you to grow up and behave for a change? 🤣

New Threads

Top Bottom