• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

“Mild” Autism?

In the 5th grade, I was so obsessed with not missing anything that I learned how to suppress the cough reflex when I was sick, so I could still go to school. I had a serious flu for about two weeks. I ached all over, was dead tired, and fought the reflex to hack up a lung the whole time - I even learned to breath evenly and shallowly when I slept so I wouldn't trigger the cough in my sleep. My parents and teacher never knew because I suppressed all symptoms and deliberately acted normal.

Reading the description of "Mild Autism" reminded me of that time. I'm sure that someone observant would have noticed my lack of energy and focus and thought I was "mildly sick."

I've had the "you must be high functioning' before." I think, because I was able to use the phone.

Thank you for sharing the link! As so many of the things I read on and via this forum, it is eyeopening!

This is very well written, I agree. But it is a bit confrontational. If we want them to put themselves in our shoes, we need to be prepared to put ourselves in theirs.

People cannot be expected to understand things they have never experienced. Sometimes I worry that neurodiverse people who are well practiced at blending in and articulating themselves when necessary can become self-righteous and superior in their own knowledge and self-awareness. Then again, perhaps that's just me...

Still I think it would be helpful to remember that neurotypicals are going to be more likely to want to engage in these types of conversations when we invite them to interact as equals, not as ill-informed simpletons. I used to be just like the misinformed person on the receiving end of this exchange... before I was diagnosed for myself. If an autistic person had spoken to me with that kind of condescension, I would have found a way to cut the conversation short very quickly.

If we want them to put themselves in our shoes, we need to be prepared to put ourselves in theirs.

I completely agree with you on that @Noelle however I think the blog makes the point very well even if it wouldn't be the best way to go about it in the real world. I think as a kind of thought experiment, an imaginary response to a situation it's very eloquent, but acting such a way with a real person would more than likely get their backs up rather than elicit the kind of understanding we really need to move forward.

New Threads

Top Bottom