• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mistaken For Racism...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here' there's a few issues with people from different African nations calling themselves black and that upsets the local Aboriginal populations who in general always were quite racist, there's no love lost between those two groups.
I suspect you're reflecting the same dynamic as my coworker from Haiti. ;)

Even the geneology/ancestry companies can get it wrong. My nephew is Korean. But his ancestry report said he was half Chinese and half Japanese!

It seems we Canadians are always either being mistaken for Americans by Europeans and mistaken for Europeans by Americans.
"You call football soccer, you must be American!"
"You use the metric system, you must be European!"
It's exhausting.

My Korean DIL was telling me that Korean, Japanese & Chinese generally look alike and the main way to tell them apart is by clues like language & clothing.
At first, that seemed racist until I thought about the similarities between Americans, Canadians, Brits & Australians.
The term "racist". I am reminded of a quote from the cult-classic movie "The Princess Bride". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.":) Are you showing prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism? If not, then perhaps you're only describing some sort of difference.

It irks me when people confuse nationality with race.

It can be tricky, for example, if I move to the US and get US citizenship I'm still Norwegian. I'm just a Norwegian with US citizenship. Because Norwegians are an ethnic group. According to wikipedia. So nothing can change the fact that I'm a Norwegian, no matter where I go. So there's ethnicity and citizienship and race. It's a mess really, discussing these things almost always ends in a mess because there are so many x factors. Many differences. 🤔

Last edited:
It can be tricky, for example, if I move to the US and get US citizenship I'm still Norwegian. I'm just a Norwegian with US citizenship. Because Norwegians are an ethnic group. So there's ethnicity and citizienship and race. It's a mess really, discussing these things almost always ends in a mess because there are so many x factors. 🤔

If you moved to the US, you'd be an American (nationality) with Norwegian ancestry (nationality). Norwegian is not a race. American isn't a race, either. Caucasian is a race.

Most people don't realize that Mexico is almost as diverse as the USA in the number of different races that comprise the population, yet people incorrectly refer to Mexican as a race. Hispanic is an ethnicity.

I am obsessed with Korea, since getting into watching Korean dramas and I would say that one can tell the differences.

I find Koreans have a softer orential look about them ( more subtle).

Wouldn't call her racist though; racist surely is about mocking another race?

I am obsessed with Korea, since getting into watching Korean dramas and I would say that one can tell the differences.

I find Koreans have a softer orential look about them ( more subtle).

Wouldn't call her racist though; racist surely is about mocking another race?

Just so you know, Asian Americans say that calling them "oriental" is racist. They are Asians. Rugs and decorations are oriental (a style).

I found similar issues when I worked in some communities. There were issues between Haitians and American blacks. Also between all the so-called "hispanic" groups. The Mexicans did not trust the Cubans and the Cubans saw the Mexican as "less than. And then there were the people from Colombia, Honduras, Guatamala and others. And then there were differences between the Indigenous people and the "conquerors."

I had to work with and balance all these differences and it was a real education because before I did this work, I would have lumped them all into Hispanic and think they all had the same values and culture. I was naive.

Last edited:
We had a similar issue in Melbourne for many years between different Greek populations and this often broke out in to extreme violence at soccer matches. Helenic Greeks against Macedonian Greeks.

In the end the government stepped in and all sporting clubs were forced to remove any non-Australian ethnic references from their clubs. Club names had to change, as well as the symbols they used. That sort of worked and then we introduced a new bill where people that demonstrate that they don't accept Australian values and way of life can lose their citizenship and be deported.

There hasn't been any soccer violence since the 90s now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom