• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Monotropism

Au Naturel

Au Naturel
There seems to be a relationship between monotropism - a tendency to focus on a small number of interests at any time, tending to miss things outside those interests. I took this test:

https://dlcincluded.github.io/MQ/
And got these results

Monotropism Score: 185 / 235
Your Average: 3.94
This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 28% of autistic people and about 91% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

Which I found out about from this video:

"Monotropism Score: 192 / 235

Your Average: 4.09

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 44% of autistic people and about 95% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study."

Monotropism Score: 190 / 235

Your Average: 4.04

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 38% of autistic people and about 93% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

Monotropism Score: 173 / 235
Your Average: 3.68
This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 9% of autistic people and about 81% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

Monotropism Score: 191 / 235

Your Average: 4.15

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 50% of autistic people and about 96% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

196/235

Whoo Hoo! I've got the highest score, so far! :eek::p;)

"This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 53% of autistic people and about 96% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study."

Monotropism Score: 181 / 235

Your Average: 3.85

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 20% of autistic people and about 88% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

Monotropism Score: 192 / 235

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 44% of autistic people and about 95% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

Score would be higher, but I tend toward modest appraisals and rarely click
"strongly" anything.

Monotropism Score: 216 / 235

Your Average: 4.60

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 91% of autistic people and about 100% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

Monotropism Score: 137 / 235
Your Average: 2.91
This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 1% of autistic people and about 32% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

Monotropism Score: 228 / 235

Your Average: 4.85

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 98% of autistic people and about 100% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

Monotropism Score: 206 / 235

Your Average: 4.38

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 75% of autistic people and about 99% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

"Monotropism Score: 192 / 235

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 44% of autistic people and about 95% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study."

I got the exact same score. Bound to happen with only 236 possible outcomes, and more likely as the outcome approaches the average for a person on this site.

Last edited:
Monotropism Score: 203 / 235

Your Average: 4.32

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 69% of autistic people and about 98% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

The test was too uninteresting to focus on.

Personally I find the whole “let’s define autism” less interesting than the why’s and how’s of autism.

I am not sure any of these ideas help people on the spectrum.

I have very specific interests that I passionately work on. That is very monotropic.

My main interest in this life is how humanity came to be the way it is and why. I want scientific predictions that help us understand autism and how that fits into the whole of the human species.

We all have a notion of “disorder”… what is the order? Are disorders things that simply “suck”?

Why do ordered people act disordered in a mob?

What is disorder? Why is autism a spectrum? Why are some more monotropic than others?

I have my theoretical understanding of the why’s… I really wish we would move past the need to define so, so we can have other possibly valid theories.

Monotropism Score: 223 / 235

Your Average: 4.74

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 96% of autistic people and about 100% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

I want scientific predictions that help us understand autism and how that fits into the whole of the human species.
Balanced polymorphism. The same principle allows sickle cell anemia to persist despite being a lethal gene if you have a matching pair. Only in our case there are many gene locations instead of just one. The more genes involved and the more environmental influence there is, the closer you get to a classic Bell curve.

The superiority of heterozygotes over homozygotes favors the maintenance of a pool of otherwise damaging genes in a population. We are one tail of the Bell curve. People with very few or no autism-related genes end up on the other tail of the Bell curve. Neither tail survives well, but the middle survives better. And then environmental influences further muddy things up, potentiating or inhibiting traits.

There's a theory. Go test it.

IMG_1890.png

New Threads

Top Bottom