• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Monotropism

Approximately 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510. I know you can't tell I didn't google that, but I didn't. I memorized it in the 1970s

Approximately 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510. I know you can't tell I didn't google that, but I didn't. I memorized it in the 1970s
That's cool! I got my last digit wrong it seems. I used to try to memorize Pi or go through the Fibonacci Sequence to ward off anxiety. I could remember more of Pi but I use a weird scheme to remember it and I've forgotten it lol.

It was 3.141 (that's easy)

59 (59 comes after 3.141)

265 (That's similar to the RAM on an Amstrad PCW 256k but the 6 and 5 are switched round)

35 (second and 3rd digit of the oldest phone number I can remember)

And from there I forget lol! But Pi is a fun number, it definitely shouldn't be 3.2!

EDIT: Now I remember the 897 bit was "that's just 789 but almost backwards"

It will probably stick now :-)

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I was going by pre-internet hearsay rather than fact checking before my post. So I ended up in the wrong state and had the law having been passed. At least I got the numerical value corrrect.

Definitions are not useless. Two people have to agree on a defintion before effective communication occurs. The more concrete a word becomes, the easier this is. We fail in psychology because what is a "disorder" to one is just a normal variation in human behavior to another and disgusting perversity to yet another. If we agree on the nature of the trait, we can communicate. If we don't, we may get into an arm wrestling match.

If the engineer tells a technician to take the wrench and tighten a specific nut to 50 lbs of torque and we have different definitions of wrench, tighten, nut, and what exactly 50 lbs of torque means, the job doesn't get done, and someone won't get paid. Or maybe the joint fails and the machine we're working on falls apart.

All of human technological progress depends on scientists agreeing on definitions. Electronics work because we share a pre-defined set of terms. You don't get to disagree on what a volt is or how resistance is measured and be taken seriously. Engineered structures would be problematic if the definition of static and dynamic loading varied by how we felt about a project. When a physicist speaks of entropy, his emotional state is irrelevant. If they don't think the accepted definition of entropy is useful or broad enough, they will add a qualifier to make the term more specific. (Like loop quantum gravity and Newtonian gravity instead of just gravity. Or calling Pluto a minor planet instead of a planet.) Or they create a whole new term and apply a defintion.

OTOH, psychology is not a science. The crisis in replication in psychology demonstrates this. Sociology is even less of a science. It is buried in agenda-driven politics.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/basics/replication-crisis
“Definitions are useless” was an attempt to point out how absolutely important they are.

I hate definitions that are not accurate. Disorder is not well defined but used as though it is.

We cannot use the term “disorder” without defining “order”.

My beef is with the concept of “order”.

What does that mean? Scientifically In biology, order is function. Function defines how form exists in life. Do humans escape function because they are “special”?

I think it is better to define function. Order is a concept that is linked to human functionality that make culture work. This is incomplete. Goedel/Hilbert kind of incomplete. A system cannot define itself level incomplete….

Definitions are very important. Completeness is important.

Psychological definitions are intuitional. This is unscientific and irrational. It assumes that humans are not part of life as it exists outside of humanity.

I am a formalist.

This doesn’t mean that my theories are correct. It means that I base my theories on a stable foundation.

Humans are living beings with a flawed and cultural language. There is a “math” to life. Life is a kind of stuff that reacts to its environment. This reaction is called function. This has rules.

There is no absolute answer… just asking simple questions. Humans have a survival method that is pre-eusocial.

Ask the right questions. That is what I am saying.

Last edited:
Link to the test (for ease of use). I thought this was pretty interesting to check out in relation to ASD. Obviously this doesn't diagnose (or even attempt to diagnose) anything, but I figured it could be an interesting tool to use for people either pre-or-post diagnosis by a professional.

Untitled.png

And for my score (apparently I got a very high one):

score.png

I have been hearing about this lately. Interesting. 187/235. I did not think mine would be as high as this because I feel like my "special interests" might be more generalized than many autistic people, but my partner does say I have a one-track, highly-focused mind.

Monotropism Score: 184 / 235

Your Average: 3.91

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 25% of autistic people and about 90% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

I saw That Autistic Guy cover this, it’s very interesting, my score was quite high -

Monotropism Score: 205 / 235

Your Average: 4.36

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 73% of autistic people and about 98% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

“Definitions are useless” was an attempt to point out how absolutely important they are.

I hate definitions that are not accurate. Disorder is not well defined but used as though it is.
I think of order in terms of enthalpy and entropy. They are mathematically well-defined.

Monotropism score 220/235
Average 4.68
This score suggests I am more monotropic than about 94% of autistic people and about 100% of allistic people

Monotropism Score: 195 / 235

Your Average: 4.15

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 50% of autistic people and about 96% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

Monotropism Score: 142 / 235
Your Average: 3.02

This score suggests that you are more Monotropic than about 1% of autistic people and about 39% of allistic people based on data from the initial validation study.

Had to go back and look, but it seems Catwoman and I tied for 1st place on this. Yea us!

This is just an estimate, as I often am not sure I'm answering the questions 'correctly' (for me).

Monotropism Score: 173 / 235

Your Average: 3.68

@Neri I think we are both have a higher score than most though I did see at least two others that were very high further back but do not remember who they were.

New Threads

Top Bottom