• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Motorsports Fans

I'm the guy that would turn it off :p

I was being groomed for road racing by a Bondurant competition driving instructor as a teen :cool:

Most car enthusiasts are likely to. Even the sales manager that sold me my car told me he does it on occasion. But in my old age I think I'll keep it on. :p

Years ago I once had a one-car accident in my Honda where the front wheel drive hit an oily patch at an intersection during the first rain of the season. It hydroplaned, losing traction in one wheel and sending me straight into a curb. I was powerless to change direction. Gave me some perception when I first learned about these new generation cars with traction control. Works for me!

Years ago I once had a one-car accident in my Honda where the front wheel drive hit an oily patch at an intersection during the first rain of the season. It hydroplaned, losing traction in one wheel and sending me straight into a curb. I was powerless to change direction. Gave me some perception when I first learned about these new generation cars with traction control. Works for me!
I hear ya.

You should see how quick things go wrong when you up the power ante :p

I hear ya.

You should see how quick things go wrong when you up the power ante :p

Oh, I have. But only as a spectator at a few SCCA events. ;)

But dayim...that feeling of losing traction that one time...spooked me. Made me much more sensitive- and wary about the feel of my 88 Honda's front wheel drive. And that was with a pathetic amount of power!

Last edited:
Oh, I have. But only as a spectator. ;)

But dayim...that feeling of losing traction that one time...spooked me. Made me much more sensitive about the feel of my 88 Honda's front wheel drive.
I saw a body leave a TF Funnycar once at half track.
It went airborne than settled into the bleachers.
A guy near me said that it only weighed 150 Lbs, so it probably wouldn't hurt anyone.

Two people got taken away in an ambulance.

I saw a body leave a TF Funnycar once at half track.
It went airborne than settled into the bleachers.
A guy near me said that it only weighed 150 Lbs, so it probably wouldn't hurt anyone.

Two people got taken away in an ambulance.

Wow, that sounds ugly.

Something similar to seeing an MGTD as a dragster (no joke) at the Orange County Intl Raceway back in the mid 60s. Damn little thing was so overpowered it could barely inch up to the Christmas Tree. The car went everywhere but in a straight line. Lucky no one got killed. I was just a kid back then but it was one of those things I'll never forget.

Ya never know what you'll witness at a drag race.

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds ugly.

Something similar to seeing an MGTD as a dragster at the Orange County Intl Raceway back in the mid 60s. Damn little thing was so overpowered it could barely inch up to the Christmas Tree. The car went everywhere but in a straight line. Lucky no one got killed. I was just a kid back then but it was one of those things I'll never forget.
That was at Charlotte during the 4 wides a few years ago.

That is an estimated 44,000 horsepower unleashed for about 4 seconds.

Two topfuelers at a time is like an earthquake, but four is beyond description :p
A single topfueler produces so much resonance that you cannot physically see one as it goes by because your eyes jiggle too much.

11,000 horsepower out of a supercharged nitromethane 500 cubic inch hemi engine that shares the physical dimensions of the original 426 inch street hemi that was rated at 425 horses.

It uses up more parasitic horsepower to turn the blower on one than the original normally aspirated gasoline unit was capable of producing.

Two topfuelers at a time is like an earthquake, but four is beyond description :p
A single topfueler produces so much resonance that you cannot physically see one as it goes by because your eyes jiggle too much.

Incredible. I've never been close enough to a top-fuel eliminator to have experienced such a thing. :eek:

Though I have been buzzed by an F-22 at very low altitude at an air show...lol. :p

Incredible. I've never been close enough to a top-fuel eliminator to have experienced such a thing. :eek:

Though I have been buzzed by an F-22 at very low altitude at an air show...lol. :p
Never experiences the F-22 yet.

I got to see a North American P-51 fly in formation with an F-14 Tomcat right before they were phased out of service.
It was at a military airshow, so that made it very special.

Never experiences the F-22 yet.
I got to see a North American P-51 fly in formation with an F-14 Tomcat right before they were phased out of service.
It was at a military airshow, so that made it very special.

Fallon NAS, Nevada- 2010. P-38, P-51, F-22 and an A-10.

Fallon NAS Show.jpg

Wow! I can see the A-10 being able to fly with the P-38 and the P-51, but that had to be pretty tricky for the F-22. They just are not made to fly that slow.

If I had to guess, I'd say they were doing a little more than 350 to 400 mph. Unfortunately the official slowest speed the F-22 can do appears to remain classified. Though personally I've witnessed this aircraft do some amazing things at low altitude and not particularly fast speeds.

Like level flight that instantly went ballistic. All I could say was "OMG".

I'm still trying to process that. I mean, that can't feel very good if your eyeballs are literally vibrating inside your own eye sockets from resonance occurring laterally only a matter of feet from you. :eek:

I'm still trying to process that. I mean, that can't feel very good if your eyeballs are literally vibrating inside your own eye sockets from resonance occurring laterally only a matter of feet from you. :eek:
Nitro virgins :p

Starting line resonance.
Keep in mind, they reach the 60 foot mark already going 100 MPH in about .8 seconds and will exceed 200 MPH by the 330 foot marker in about 2, so they aren't at the starting line for very long.

They used to seat the clutches by snapping open the throttle in the pits.
They now get seated during the burnouts, so this doesn't go down anymore.

All fans have access to the pit area where you can stand within 15 feet of the cars.
Even knowing exactly when it is going to happen by watching the crew chief reach for the throttle linkage, you still jump.

The whole crowd jumps in unison, but the crew stays cool as cucumbers when they hit it.

Throttle whack.

For many, this would be a true sensory overload.
This is possibly the loudest thing I have ever experienced and is not for the faint of heart.

Sorry kids, you got me going on one of my oldest special interests

I've found this all fascinating.

An element of drag racing that never occurred to me as a mere spectator. :cool:
The the physics that come into play are what fascinates me the most.
The most recent horsepower reports were gathered from a transducer placed in the final drive of one and calculated from the torque that was applied to it.

The fact they they share the same physical dimensions of a production passenger car engine limits the sizes of the internals, so there isn't a lot of wiggle room for larger parts.

Given that info, I can appreciate that the crankshafts are intentionally machined out of phase to compensate for the twist they will encounter when under load.

Refreshing or revolting? :eek:

Not an auspicious start for Toyota reintroducing the Supra that left the car market in 2002. Not really surprising to me though. I mean if you look at the entire Toyota line, they've got a design team that leaves you either loving or hating them with very little in between. The 2020 Supra is no different.

Refreshing or Revolting: 2020 Toyota Supra

I follow almost everything with wheels and an engine! NASCAR, Indy, IMSA, WEC, F1, WRC, Dakar... Since the last season was over in november it became a little boring on tv, luckly Formula E season began on december and this past weekend we had the Race Of Champions (RoC).

Youtube usually recommends me this tractor pulling videos, most of the time when the engine blows. It is awesome but the thing I'm most impressed/"disgusted" is the huuuugggeee dark smoke column from the exhaust, I'm like wth! there goes another hole in the ozone layer. Is that because most of those engines are diesel?

New Threads

Top Bottom