• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My memory problem

Like it took more than 45 minutes or so to recall Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, and Bert Lahr. Better known as the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion.
The problem doesn't seem to be memory retention here.
It is a problem with the recall mechanism.
I have the same issue.

I remember names and birthdays very well though. I just forget things in a disorganised way, not things about people.
Consider ED.
Not that ED, the other one. :eek:
Disorganised thinking must have a big impact on memory storage/recall.

In addition to that, ppl who have a problem with intrusive thoughts are at a further disadvantage since it interferes with a person's thought process.

The problem doesn't seem to be memory retention here.
It is a problem with the recall mechanism.
I have the same issue.
Interesting.

I haven't thought of it in those terms, but neurologically speaking retention and recall could be very different things.

I agree with Jonn on this. I've had instances where memories have returned with amazing clarity yet I see no reason for me to have retained those memories.

The last time was when I went from being homeless to living where I am now. When I got this unit my case worker lady gave me a hug, and when she hugged me a memory came back so strong that it came with smells and emotions, everything. From nearly 30 years earlier:

I had been having an argument with my fiance and I walked out in to the front yard to cool down a little bit. While I was out there a little girl came walking down the street with a wicker basket full of bags of lollies. She was going door to door selling them to raise money for some charity. I did the autistic thing and sorted out all the bags of lollies so that all the same kinds were next to each other then bought two of them.

When I mentioned remembering that to my case worker lady she freaked out a bit and I never heard from her since. It was her, she was the little girl selling lollies.

New Threads

Top Bottom