• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My recent positive dreams need to stop now.

"In a perfect world, stuff like this would be taught in schools. And if communication skills of that kind were taught, life would be easier for many ASDs."

never truer words have been said or spoken, reminds me of long written statements i've read from people who say they find it to be a tragedy that interpersonal communication, or just knowing how to relate and connect with people better, is sadly not taugh in school in our formative years, the education system doesn't nothing to prepare us for the real world.

"In a perfect world, stuff like this would be taught in schools. And if communication skills of that kind were taught, life would be easier for many ASDs."

never truer words have been said or spoken, reminds me of long written statements i've read from people who say they find it to be a tragedy that interpersonal communication, or just knowing how to relate and connect with people better, is sadly not taugh in school in our formative years, the education system doesn't nothing to prepare us for the real world.
Now that's a damn fine comment if you ask me (and even if you don't!).
And gets closer to the crux of the condition than most intellectualising, because whatever the causes, it's the interactions that make the difference, and education is key to everything.

Unfortunately, we live in a different world of intolerance and pragmatism (i.e. "what? spend all that effort and cost teaching all of us to put up with them few weirdo's? we don't need them, do we?"). Of course, education of the right sort would have helped in resolving the pollution (read climate for simplicity) crisis, in fact maybe we'd never have allowed it to get this bad if we were mostly more enlightened and taught to think for ourselves.

On that topic (ish), Emmanuel Kant wrote a very good essay on enlightenment - remarkably readable I found, and very interesting. About wisdom and what it's nature is, etc. Bottom line was - think for yourself. Listen to others, but never trust their judgement, think it through, lacking knowledge, gain it, apply it, but always consider the possibilities (I'm putting in my words of course!). Don't blindly believe others. This is antithetical to how we grow up, we are evolved to believe blindly (for survival! "Oi! Junior! Don't walk on the edge of that cliff!"). So we have to work at reversing that when mature, it doesn't come naturally, it's hard work, we can never be perfect at it, only strive towards it. But we can be taught this is something good to do. More meaningful than 24 hour soap operas, and fawning at famous people (to be hyper critical - a bit unfair really).

I long for dreams. I know that can be a poisoned chalice, but all the same, whether I never recall them, or don't have them much, who can say. But the few rare and intense one's I recall have been a experience I'd love to have again, even the bad one's in a strange way - to feel something maybe?

Why are parents missing from your lament about schools not teaching children how to communicate? Where are the parents? What role do you think parents should play in teaching their children how to relate and connect to people better?

It is taught in schools.

Maybe it was not available to everyone, but "social emotional" curricula are very common in schools these days.

I spent many years teaching children in different educational environments about thoughts, feelings, communication, interaction. Children learn much of this stuff through play.

https://www.panoramaed.com/blog/social-emotional-learning-curriculum
https://www.cfchildren.org/resources/free-classroom-activities/
https://www.weareteachers.com/sel-curriculum/

Why are parents missing from your lament about schools not teaching children how to communicate? Where are the parents? What role do you think parents should play in teaching their children how to relate and connect to people better?
Maybe because parents too need educating in many cases? Especially as many have similar traits, often never diagnosed, themselves.

I long for dreams. I know that can be a poisoned chalice, but all the same, whether I never recall them, or don't have them much, who can say. But the few rare and intense one's I recall have been a experience I'd love to have again, even the bad one's in a strange way - to feel something maybe?

I mostly remember bad dreams/nightmares that wake me up in a cold sweat. They are always dreams of helplessness in which I try to do something or go somewhere but cannot or I'm lost in a dangerous place. Weird stuff.

It is taught in schools.

Maybe it was not available to everyone, but "social emotional" curricula are very common in schools these days.

I spent many years teaching children in different educational environments about thoughts, feelings, communication, interaction. Children learn much of this stuff through play.

https://www.panoramaed.com/blog/social-emotional-learning-curriculum
https://www.cfchildren.org/resources/free-classroom-activities/
https://www.weareteachers.com/sel-curriculum/
they never taught me that, and i'm sure tons of men can relate, i don't think i've heard ever heard of a class teaching people proper social etiquette, conversation-skills, in school growing up.

Well, I always wonder just how much those who set syllabuses try to avoid the topics that may make people think for themselves?

Or is my paranoia monkey waking up again?

I'd like to see children taught to think for themselves, to learn to love to learn, be given free reign to find their thing, to make their own minds up about things, basically taught to want to be educated, and then presented with all those choices of more academic (or other) subjects.

I can't see any more important social investment than excellent teaching (and that goes well beyond just schools).
Enlightened people will then be motivated to strive to provide the other social improvements

New Threads

Top Bottom