• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Old-fashioned Advertisements

Oh, how I hated these ads I would often see on the back of my mom's magazines that I began reading as a teenager. I hated how they brainwashed other girls my age into believing smoking was sexy or sophisticated. I once "vandalized" an ad on the back of a magazine by drawing a long stream of green phlegm from the woman's mouth, along with a loud hacking noise. It was awesome and hilarious.

0d7fc1a4eb5bc93c86b53ed8936b9c5b.jpg

When and why did advertising change from the old-school "here are the facts about this product" to the new "we're selling you a fantasy and a lifestyle" advertisements? The linked video is the beginning of a fantastic explanation for this paradigm change!

When and why did advertising change from the old-school "here are the facts about this product" to the new "we're selling you a fantasy and a lifestyle" advertisements?

Was that ever the case? It's hard to believe ads were ever just pure, factual information. The products, by definition, are things we don't need. Ads have to convey a different reality to some degree.

When and why did advertising change from the old-school "here are the facts about this product" to the new "we're selling you a fantasy and a lifestyle" advertisements? The linked video is the beginning of a fantastic explanation for this paradigm change!
Car ads were like those for any other kind of machinery until one came out in the mid 1920s with the headline "Somewhere West of Laramie" and a story about enjoying a trip in the car. Sorry I can't remember other details. I don't have time for the video, but I'm sure it lays a lot of blame on Edward Bernays. I wish that such advertising had been taxed to death to protect the public.
One time, I had not seen any TV for several years while doing a bit of meditation. Then, I visited my mother who kept her set on all the time. She was busy in the kitchen, so I sat down for some entertainment. When the ads came on I was literally rolling around laughing at how blatant the manipulation seemed to me. Only twenty minutes later, they were no longer funny; they were talking to my subconscious directly. Years later, I thought that it must be OK for me to listen to the radio, as their ads were for golf clubs and other things of no interest to me. However, every ad was telling me that I could not be happy without their product, and that negativity stuck.

Was that ever the case? It's hard to believe ads were ever just pure, factual information. The products, by definition, are things we don't need. Ads have to convey a different reality to some degree.
The video discusses this very effectively in my opinion. Edward Bernays (nephew of Sigmund Freud) weaponized his uncle's insights against humanity, wreaking untold havoc on us all, our health, and our pocketbooks.

There are still remnants of the original factual advertisements around. At first, machinery was hard to afford and unfamiliar, so there was a lot of hard info on how it would be a good investment. Car ads still often mention horsepower, and when looking up a product, there's usually a section on specifications - how many gallons per hour, how much power is used, dimensions, and so on. Catalogs with several similar products will emphasize their differences, not their images. There are collections of just camera specifications, so one can quickly compare features and limitations.
Now, we are very wealthy from burning oil, so demand is created by advertising that appeals to our non-rational thinking, which handles almost all of our daily business anyway. We think we are rational creatures, because we can be logical, but logic is so slow that it can only be applied to a tiny fraction of decisions. Rationalization of a choice made in the chemistry of the pre-verbal parts of the brain is far easier, and usually passes as rationality, which it is not.

Are these commercials or print ads? I got so excited when I saw old ads and I would have posted vids because I love ads more than a person is supposed to like ads. Sadly it's all pictures and I'm confused.

Are these commercials or print ads? I got so excited when I saw old ads and I would have posted vids because I love ads more than a person is supposed to like ads. Sadly it's all pictures and I'm confused.

Both from what I see.

New Threads

Top Bottom