• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People using your name/using other people's names

Oh my, as stupid as it seems, I have tears in my eyes right now, because I feel the same way. But I would describe it as not fitting in my skin properly. Like saying: I really do not like you, but have no choice but to be you, so will do the best I can!!!!

I don't think that's stupid at all, and I often feel the same way as you described, except I wouldn't so much describe it as being in the wrong skin (I've taken care of that) as being in the wrong person, if you know what I mean.

The only time I freak is when they put 'Mister' in front of my name, I feel like a five year old that's about to be told off ;)

The only time I freak is when they put 'Mister' in front of my name, I feel like a five year old that's about to be told off ;)
The 'mister' also freaks me out, but for a different reason. It makes me feel like I'm old :rolleyes:

I like when people use my name. Well, except if I am in trouble. I find the lack on names used (especially on the internet) to be colder, less personal. If a person uses my name I am always very surprised and pleased. I miss the use of names.

I passionately hate being called anything "lady", and if there is a "little" or "girl" involved, I believe I should reserve the stomp on their foot.

This attitude seems odd to me. In my experience (with the exception of medical doctors) it has always been the norm to address people by their first name in work situations. If I were to start using people's sir names my co-workers would likely find that excessively formal and uncomfortable. It would almost be like I was showing them undue reverence, or perhaps doing so sarcastically. I am not sure if this is generational, regional, or merely the different culture of our work environments. That said, I always try to refer to people by their preferred method.

Personally, I like my name. I chose it myself. When people use my previous name however (which is a very rare occurrence these days) it bothers me a great deal. I am not that person, and I never was.
Possibly generational, which puts me in the wrong generation. To me, first names are private and intimate. Last names are public. I don't want some stranger trying to get personal with me any more than I want a random person groping my butt.

But, I am that person who scored 0% on the closeness/friendship test. o_O

I always do my best to address people as they would like.

[rant warning]
I prefer people to refer to me by my first name (Paul), but get very pi***d-off when they decide that it's O.K. to use 'Paulie'.
I hate that word and feel like punching them.
[end of rant]
Us fussy people very much appreciate it.

And I have a few nicknames that make my knuckles tingle too. :)

If people actually use my name when speaking to me, well that tells me they think I'm not GETTING it, it's a bit like talking to a pet or something (and pets aren't daft either, they just seem to ignore me until I specify that I'm talking to them LOL). "Bad dog Sparky, bad dog!" Using my name when talking to me just means whoever it is thinks I need to be brought back to their way of thinking, and that they think it's ok to remind me of my humanity while they ignore theirs.

Now if someone uses my nickname, at the very least there's some affection there, because that's where nicknames spring from.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom