• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Proof I was a weird 5 year old

My eyes are too sensitive. I literally can't put a lens inside without it closing before it. I read tips and tricks, and practiced, and yada yada, nope, can't hold an eye opened, when something is too close to it.

So glasses on others were attractive for you?
I definitely connected glasses to people being smarter. And there is something adorably vulnerable in seeing a person not knowing what is where, when they remove them, heh
I watched The Andromeda Strain when I was a kid. After being Queen of England, being a scientist was my second dream profession.

My eyes are too sensitive. I literally can't put a lens inside without it closing before it. I read tips and tricks, and practiced, and yada yada, nope, can't hold an eye opened, when something is too close to it.

It's not fun. It also depends on the dynamics of contact lens themselves...and whether or not they must be "seated" in a certain way on your eye surface. And just getting used to the idea of placing a foreign object on top of your eyeball isn't for everyone!

I still recall how the first month I wore them to work how painful they were when I first put them on. When I would take the train to work and sit down and keep my eyes shut for about 50 minutes before going to work in the financial district of San Francisco. By then my eyes would adjust to the contacts until the next day. After a month or so my eyes really started to get used to them.

There's just no telling how each and every person deals with wearing contacts for the first few weeks.

It's not fun. It also depends on the dynamics of contact lens themselves...and whether or not they must be "seated" in a certain way on your eye surface. And just getting used to the idea of placing a foreign object on top of your eyeball isn't for everyone!

I still recall how the first month I wore them to work how painful they were when I first put them on. When I would take the train to work and sit down and keep my eyes shut for about 50 minutes before going to work in the financial district of San Francisco. By then my eyes would adjust to the contacts until the next day. After a month or so my eyes really started to get used to them.

There's just no telling how each and every person deals with wearing contacts for the first few weeks.
Didn't your eyes dry out too much?

Wow. Just one day of having pain in my eyes would be enough for me to never wear them again. I guess your willpower or stubbornness is higher than mine.

Wow. Just one day of having pain in my eyes would be enough for me to never wear them again. I guess your willpower or stubbornness is higher than mine.
Even the optician who fitted me for contacts emphasized "a period of pain"...so I just adjusted accordingly, especially when it seemed to gradually get better.

But looking back, I wish I would have just passed on it all. With astigmatism the contacts didn't always work as well as I needed. Especially when stooping down to look at the contents in bottom level file cabinets.

New Threads

Top Bottom