• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Religion shaming

NB79

For me it's not religion anyway, is more interesting than that, i understand
people don't have faith.

But why i should be ashamed of positive comments made about my faith.
For me it's an important part of my life.

Funny because you can talk about suicide, sexual stuff, some other depraved stuff maybe, alcohol and drugs.

But you can't make a innocuous comment about the Holy spirit, which is not meant to be about debating even.

I think this society, is more than becoming secular, is even becoming a bit 'satanic'.

You know before I started posting I went through past posts and didn't want to repeat and was looking to get an idea of things what is going on. Also, where you can you will look and see if something exists so you can bump it. You know it I saw a post by your name saying similar and I will like hmmm, means unsure. I can see your issue back then having stayed some time. Nobody is perfect though.
I think here people should open their own posts as has been done today to avoid things that have been going on in threads.
I studied religious studies I have my beliefs and other people have their own. We are all entiteld to it and should be able to be respected. There is evil and you just have to be on guard.
Thank you for posting.

The old generation always thinks the previous one has gone totally insane, and they always think it's an exceptional kind of insane. And I can't help but give in to opine in that pattern, because it feels like the world is really coming apart, as there is suppression of all manner of speech and opinions which seemed sacred up until recently. It is very often that you see the teeth and claws come out, and from just about any random surprise place.

If someone powerful does something wrong, free speech is not sacred, suddenly it's "politics" that's taboo, even if it's a matter of plain right and wrong. Religion used to be untouchable based on the First Amendment, but now that's unacceptable, too. You are seeing the return of racism, and the resurrection of all manner of spectres and monsters which were not only laid to rest, but with much condemnation and lamentation to the effect of; "How did they not see it coming? Were they crazy?" And now, they are crazy again. One wonders if maybe Revelation is an "instanced" event which happens over and over again, but to a different group each time. We can hope that the victims of previous dictators departed on a good journey in good company, and in better shape than what I have witnessed, because if faith is a matter of perspective, and you see the world passing away, then so are you. I say good riddance to that ball of dirt, but where is good company for the journey?

Funny because you can talk about suicide, sexual stuff, some other depraved stuff maybe, alcohol and drugs.

But you can't make a innocuous comment about the Holy spirit, which is not meant to be about debating even.

I think it depends on the company. In my experience, the group who talks about the first set of things openly won't be talking a whole lot about religion a decent portion of the time, whereas those getting together to talk about positive and even spiritual experiences probably aren't discussing the morbid side of life too much.

Religion is unfortunately always going to be a conversation-starter, even if you don't mean for it to be. The dark side of life is very concrete and matter-of-fact (death kind of unites us all, eventually), but faith isn't quite as tangible. And what 'faith' means to us can be extremely personal, meaning almost entirely different things... even in the same exact denomination of the same exact religion, really.

My personal approach in life is to be ready for a conversation if I start one (even if it's accidental), so I like to keep in mind that some things aren't meant to be shared with everyone. But in opening cans of worms, I've learned to enjoy the backlash and remember that everyone's got an opinion. Even if it's different from mine.

I'm still an atheist, perhaps agnostic. The older I get and the more.life humbles you, I realise how society has discarded a lot of the built up wisdom and culture of our forebears. A lot of that truth is contained in parables and such.

I think it depends on the company. In my experience, the group who talks about the first set of things openly won't be talking a whole lot about religion a decent portion of the time, whereas those getting together to talk about positive and even spiritual experiences probably aren't discussing the morbid side of life too much.

Religion is unfortunately always going to be a conversation-starter, even if you don't mean for it to be. The dark side of life is very concrete and matter-of-fact (death kind of unites us all, eventually), but faith isn't quite as tangible. And what 'faith' means to us can be extremely personal, meaning almost entirely different things... even in the same exact denomination of the same exact religion, really.

My personal approach in life is to be ready for a conversation if I start one (even if it's accidental), so I like to keep in mind that some things aren't meant to be shared with everyone. But in opening cans of worms, I've learned to enjoy the backlash and remember that everyone's got an opinion. Even if it's different from mine.
I was going to say something sarcastic, but then I remembered that it's literally true, and not sarcasm. I was going to say; I bet you the people who killed Jesus blamed him for being weak enough to die from murder, and then I recalled that they indeed laughed and told him to save himself first. I wonder why people discuss dark things or contemplate suicide. You don't know? Really?

I'm still an atheist, perhaps agnostic. The older I get and the more.life humbles you, I realise how society has discarded a lot of the built up wisdom and culture of our forebears. A lot of that truth is contained in parables and such.
The Bible tells you that life will humble you, and it demonstrates that poverty, and scarcity, and sickness, and disabilities, and trials, and voids are just to make space for better things. That was illustrated both by Joseph, who was sold into slavery, and Job, who lost everything. If you suspect God is pulling, it's better to add your own motivation than to wait until things are unbearable, because you're warned that life and the world it begins on are temporary. I know you can't just will yourself to have faith. I asked God for a favor, in terms of unmistakable miracles, of a certain description, and I felt like he said "Sure, I can do anything. There you go. However, it's you that's supposed to learn to follow me, not the other way around. So, now it's back to God things for me, and you follow and learn." So, that to me, was how faith started and proceeded. You seldom understand what God is doing, but he will give you the mustard seed he promised. And the Bible said that he who asketh receiveth.

Attachments

• 218px-Hands_of_God_and_Adam.jpg
    218px-Hands_of_God_and_Adam.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0
I wonder why people discuss dark things or contemplate suicide. You don't know? Really?

I'm not entirely sure what this part of your post means. That part comes naturally since we're aware of our mortality, but faith is something we kind of develop and foster over time, if at all.

Faith can be challenging to a lot of people for a variety of different reasons (even just as a response to what life has handed them), so the weight and baggage behind both are very different. I'd say struggling with faith is possibly even harder than struggling with death, for some.

I'm not entirely sure what this part of your post means. That part comes naturally since we're aware of our mortality, but faith is something we kind of develop and foster over time, if at all.

Faith can be challenging to a lot of people for a variety of different reasons (even just as a response to what life has handed them), so the weight and baggage behind both are very different. I'd say struggling with faith is possibly even harder than struggling with death, for some.
A very great many times, I asked people where their faith came from, and their attitude was like "If you're bad/dumb/resistant enough not to know, it's your fault". I think the most charitable interpretation of that is that not everybody perceives the same things, and just like some of us will go "duh" about technical things, others will go "duh" about faith things, and there you have an impasse, because they are "smart" about different things. I think the entire concept of having autism, not being aware that you have it, and being at a total loss as to people's reasons for things; that's an illustration of that.

A less charitable interpretation is that a lot of the people who have faith have it in something evil, or they are lying entirely, but they're discovering that you're vulnerable because you don't believe yet.

New Threads

Top Bottom