• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So... I Have Aspergers.

• Thread starter Thread starter Chris
  • Start date Start date
I think the NHS is great. It would be just as bad here as in America, where you have to pay $700 just for some stitches, without the NHS. Also, I got a fantastic service from the NHS. I only had one psych that was a prick (out of the four) because he was really snappy. And tbh I was a bit pissed off they didn't notice I had AS until the worst possible moment (after I had ****ed school up).

So you can get over stuff quickly. So what ? Just means you're a heartless arse to me. I envy people that are constantly happy.

Lol. Who said I got over it quickly. I've had problems with depression for like 10 years. I'm the opposite of heartless, naturally. But to cope in this world you have to have thick skin, and I wanna get somewhere in life, not just sit around feeling sorry for myself.

I don't see how you can come off all sounding all thoughtful and talk about how hard your life is, when a lot of your posts are pretty horrible... If you know how tough it can be, why not stop being a jerk? :/

Lol. Who said I got over it quickly. I've had problems with depression for like 10 years. I'm the opposite of heartless, naturally. But to cope in this world you have to have thick skin, and I wanna get somewhere in life, not just sit around feeling sorry for myself.

A tender heart without the false pretense of thick skin, can get you farther than you think. I'm sorry that's the way you've had to cope with things.

I don't see how you can come off all sounding all thoughtful and talk about how hard your life is, when a lot of your posts are pretty horrible... If you know how tough it can be, why not stop being a jerk? :/

Thats pretty usual when people speak their minds. Not everyone is always gonna like what they see or hear.

A tender heart without the false pretense of thick skin, can get you farther than you think. I'm sorry that's the way you've had to cope with things.

Its not really a false pretense, at least not anymore. It used to paralyze me if I saw or read about an animal getting hurt. But I worked on a turkey farm a few times, and saw lots of things there and elsewhere. You learn to toughen up, you have to. I can be sensetive if I want to be.

Because I kept moving, it was 2 years before I was properly diagnosed with PDD-NOS. (I was on a waiting list for a few months to be diagnosed with AS when I was 14.) The doc was incompetent, as I said before, and diagnosed me based on lies from my mother (she didn't necessarily deliberately lie about me or say ambiguous things, but she did assume a lot about me that wasn't true and then presented it as the truth. Some of the lies the doctor told me to confirm, others he didn't, and as a result my assessment papers told horrific things, worse than things like "dangerous" or "needs to be kept on a psych hold for 3 days", which I would have actually preferred. What it said about me simply made me seem way more fargone and impacted by AS and low functioning than I was. And I'm pretty low functioning, at least I was then, so coming from me this is ****ing scary.

PS: I've been on 3 involuntary psych holds that weren't as bad as that day.

LOL...I don't sit around feeling sorry for myself. I've been trying very ****ing hard to get back into education for your info. And uhm. You obviously haven't had severe depression. If you had you wouldn't be ABLE to get up out of bed. It's actually a symptom you can't get any motivation. Look it up.

IMO, it's pretty stupid people are questioning other people's diagnosis'. Almost as if it's offensive to not have AS, or to not be depressed.
It's almost as if some people are possessive of a diagnosis. 'You can't have AS! It's mine!' :/.
Benji says he's depressed. It's stupid to think that would reflect on his behaviour on an internet forum. IMO.
IMO, a lot of trolls are depressed. That's why they troll.
Lulz, imo, is just another form of an anti-depressant.
EMZ=]

LOL...I don't sit around feeling sorry for myself. I've been trying very ****ing hard to get back into education for your info. And uhm. You obviously haven't had severe depression. If you had you wouldn't be ABLE to get up out of bed. It's actually a symptom you can't get any motivation. Look it up.

fxwgh0.gif

Everyone reacts differently to depression. I've felt like that, about not getting out of bed. But i've just got more fight in me. I don't think i'm naturally a depressive kind of person, drugs were the main cause.

And no Emz, i'm not trying to troll. I mess around sometimes, but thats how I am. If someone annoys me, or something, i'll call them up on it, I do it a lot in real life. Doesn't mean i'm going around "trolling" in real life.

IMO, it's pretty stupid people are questioning other people's diagnosis'. Almost as if it's offensive to not have AS, or to not be depressed.
It's almost as if some people are possessive of a diagnosis. 'You can't have AS! It's mine!' :/.
Benji says he's depressed. It's stupid to think that would reflect on his behaviour on an internet forum. IMO.
IMO, a lot of trolls are depressed. That's why they troll.
Lulz, imo, is just another form of an anti-depressant.
EMZ=]

You're obviously misinterpreting me. I'm just making a point that if you do really suffer from the illness, depression, then just 'pulling your socks up' can be impossible. It's ****ing ridiculous to say I sit down feeling sorry for myself, if I don't have the motivation to do anything BECAUSE of the illness.

God. I work(ed) for a mental illness awareness company, trying to help other people who DO suffer from the actual illness depressed...and not just the emotion 'depressed'.

I quote:

Psychological symptoms:

• continuous low mood or sadness,
  • feelings of hopelessness and helplessness,
  • low self-esteem,
  • tearfulness,
  • feelings of guilt,
  • feeling irritable and intolerant of others,
  • lack of motivation and little interest in things,
  • difficulty making decisions,
  • lack of enjoyment,
  • suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming someone else,
  • feeling anxious or worried, and
  • reduced sex drive.

Physical symptoms:

• slowed movement or speech,
  • change in appetite or weight (usually decreased, but sometimes increased),
  • constipation,
  • unexplained aches and pains,
  • lack of energy or lack of interest in sex,
  • changes to the menstrual cycle, and
  • disturbed sleep patterns (for example, problems going to sleep or waking in the early hours of the morning).

Social symptoms:

• not performing well at work,
  • taking part in fewer social activities and avoiding contact with friends,
  • reduced hobbies and interests, and
  • difficulties in home and family life.
Plus...have a look at the diagnoses critera here: http://www.mental-health-today.com/dep/dsm.htm

But w.e.

And how can you possibly tell from posts on an internet forum that they fit the diagnostic criteria?
You can't.
I've met people similar to you on the specific subject. They over-react when someone claims they're depressed 'cause they feel their experience with depression was worse. Truth is, while that may be the case, some people just aren't as vocal/verbal about their problems.
IMO, my Mum hates her life and is probably depressed, but she rarely shows it. She just sometimes says things which makes it obvious.
Just because depression isn't evident by their behaviour really doesn't mean they're not depressed. Some people just have no choice but to hide it. It's okay when you're a teenager because you don't have that many people that depend on you, and you don't even depend on yourself.
I can't really say 'cause I've not been in the position, but I assume when you're an adult you can't stay in bed all day and what not 'cause you're dependent on yourself to bring income, etc. Thus I'd assume less get dx'd regardless.
TBH, I'm just rambling here. None of this really pertains to anyone here.
EMZ=]

Michael H: thanks for posting that info.

All the snarky, know-it-all comments in the world won't change the fact that depression is a serious and debilitating illness for many, not something that you simply will yourself to "snap out of".

No, you're pretty much right there Emor. I keep myself busy. I've had like days in a row, usually the beggining of the year, where I didn't wanna get out of bed. The way that Mh is putting it, everyone with depression is exactly the same, ********. I know other adults that are suicidally depressed a lot of the time, do they feel like curling up in a ball a lot of the time? Yes. But they have too much going on to do that.

I have a lot of the symptoms on the list, or have had. I try to break things down, and beat them one at a time. I don't feel like I deserve to spend all day in bed. I did, when I was being more selfish. I feel bad, I do something, clean my room, the house, go to work, go to the gym, tennis golf, for a drive, sit in my room on here, and listen to music, watch a film etc, even if I don't feel like it.

I'm probably more manic anyway, depression isn't the same for everyone, and its severely retarded to think it is.

And how can you possibly tell from posts on an internet forum that they fit the diagnostic criteria?
You can't.
I've met people similar to you on the specific subject. They over-react when someone claims they're depressed 'cause they feel their experience with depression was worse. Truth is, while that may be the case, some people just aren't as vocal/verbal about their problems.
IMO, my Mum hates her life and is probably depressed, but she rarely shows it. She just sometimes says things which makes it obvious.
Just because depression isn't evident by their behaviour really doesn't mean they're not depressed. Some people just have no chance but to hide it. It's okay when you're a teenager because you don't have that many people that depend on you, and you don't even depend on yourself.
I can't really say 'cause I've not been in the position, but I assume when you're an adult you can't stay in bed all day and what not 'cause you're dependent on yourself to bring income, etc. Thus I'd assume less get dx'd regardless.
TBH, I'm just rambling here. None of this really pertains to anyone here.
EMZ=]

Lol...I didn't.

You're just misinterpreting me because you want to make an argument out of anything.

Michael H: thanks for posting that info.

All the snarky, know-it-all comments in the world won't change the fact that depression is a serious and debilitating illness for many, not something that you simply will yourself to "snap out of".

Thank you!

Lol...I didn't.

You're just misinterpreting me because you want to make an argument out of anything.
I'm not trying to make an argument or be critical of you(well, I might be, but not with the intent to hurt).
I simply think you've got the wrong idea about depression, or at least, only one perspective.
Maybe I am misinterpreting.
I don't know.
IMO, you were the one being confrontational, questioning him being depressed.
EMZ.

New Threads

Top Bottom