• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Skills?

BruceCM

Well, as it's half the forum title, may I ask anybody to explain, please? Presumably, social skills must basically mean communication skills? Anyway, what can anybody tell me about them, please?

In my opinion, social skills are not only communication skills. Communication skills are a part of social skills for sure, but they are not what make someone socially successful or not. I think social skills are your ability to form and maintain a certain relationship with others, as well as interacting with them. There are a lot of different ways to behave in different social situations and when having the ''necessary'' social skills it may be easier.

I don't really like the said ''social skills'' because of this preconception of certain people have. Most of the society has this idea of what another person ''should'' be like and what they ''should'' say in certain situation etc. I don't like that. Everybody has a different personality, different values and has a different way of dealing and interacting and talking with others.

Hope this help! xx

I've no idea what you're on about, sorry. Do we agree that communication skills are important? If not very important? Supposedly, they can be learned but when I ask, they can't be taught!

Do you have a counselor of some sort who's working with you on the issues? If not, that's cool, I believe it's possible to improve communication skills on your own. In childhood if I didn't read books on communication and body language, I would have no clue what to do. At that time my goal was to appear as normal as possible to others and I think, I did pretty good job :-)
About a year ago or so I downloaded a free e-book on communication, it's pretty good, straight to the point, it gives you just what you need. Check it out, maybe you'll find it helpful as well.
www.newconversations.net - just go to the "Workbook" section

I'm supposed to be getting sent to some therapist when that can be arranged but there's nobody really working with me on this at the moment. Thanks for your link, I'll check that out!

New Threads

Top Bottom