• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Spoof: "How to be a real man!"

Thank you @Callistemon

It is good to look at yourself occasionally and see someone pointing out things you would rather not accept.

Yeah, if you can laugh at yourself, you'll always have something to laugh about! ;)

And it's also true that one of the best ways for me to see what might need changing about myself is how ridiculous it actually is - which the right kind of mirror can point out.

I enjoyed the mickey being taken in each of the clips.

I am reminded of the line "tell the truth but tell it slant"

I always thought Dave Allen was an excellent comedian because much of his comedy was actually just a slight exaggeration of things that really happen, and it made us laugh and look at ourselves and the world critically at the same time. Nothing was safe, and nothing was sacred; he regularly took the mickey out of all the "honourable institutions" and social mores - and did it very intelligently, to get you not just to laugh, but to really think.

Watching this made me so glad i don't identify as male. Chances are, i would be a even more messed up person than i am living in the horrifically sexist society i live in, trying to live up to these expectations.

I liked his video on Gurus too, which I posted a while back somewhere. Back in the 80's there was a early meme, if I can call it that, with running jokes like 'Real men don't _____ or Real men do ____' I think it got started by a book called 'Real Men don't eat Quiche'.

The guy is hilarious. But I have some of these traits.

e.g.
I don't ask for help.
I don't cry. (Never in front others at least.)

Yeah I'm not convinced woman respect vulnerability. I often recoil at such instances , displays in other men. (Excessive displays.) I can only imagine what some women must think. Granted, the skit is an exaggeration for comedic purposes. Let me pose the question, though, who would a woman rather go out with? This guy, red headed redneck guy, who hits the gym, he's clearly got muscle mass, may act like a caveman, but.... Or a woody allen type? nerdy intellectual, self deprecating but 'sensitive' and understanding.....I think I know the answer....outliers excepted, most woman are going to find the tall strong guy whoa acts like a jerk, if not attractive, certainly a more appealing prospect. I've seen it with my own eyes.

^Yeah, women are also sexist in that regard.
They also expect men to act a certain way.

I think every person has masculine and feminine qualities inside them, but people get conditioned to act a certain way/suppress some of their innate qualities bc of societal pressure.

I want to point out a few things. If someone made a video like that about women, it would not be tolerated. Some would rage about it and others would be forced to appologize.

And as a man, it's strange to see that so many people are trying to convince us men that masculinity is toxic. It's something negative. It's poison, it's bad for us and everyone else, they say.

We're men, we are born with masculinity. So how can that be wrong. And what are we supposed to do? I don't think people understand how much this affects men in negative ways. People are now trying to train us, like dogs. Change who and what we are. We're now constantly being told that we are wrong and toxic and we must change. I not taking part in that. I'm a normal and decent man, I'm not hurting anyone and I'm not changing. And I'm keeping my masculinity. I was born a man and I was raised to be a man. So I'm sticking with that.

You realize that the video was humor, right?
Making fun of stereotypes that many people believe.

Chances are, i would be a even more messed up person than i am

Being male and then being diagnosed aspergers is a double blow. It's like damn, if life wasn't hard enough, I'm now on extra hard mode. I have to play on the hardest settings. And overcome this natural state of mine, and "be a man," at the same time. Live up to societies standards. It's like there's a rulebook to life, and anybody who doesn't comply is mercilessly treated. These are stereotypes for a reason. They perpetuate through the culture for a reason. People simply don't respect "weaklings," this is a harsh truth, and even more of a truth for males.

The guy is hilarious. But I have some of these traits.

e.g.
I don't ask for help.
I don't cry. (Never in front others at least.)

And you're British! ;)

I've never seen my husband cry (British family), although I've seen him very sad. And he has a lot of trouble asking for help, and we're working on that one, because I am not the only human being who could use help in our household.

Interestingly, the singer of the British band above relates making studio instructions to himself and his bandmates like, "Today, by 5pm, everyone must have cried." (...not sure if substance assisted or not ;))

Italian and Middle Eastern men are more expressive than the more northern European types. And even Jesus wept! ;)

So I guess the point is, just because you're male you shouldn't feel a pressure not to do something human - same is true if you substitute female for male in that sentence. There's a social conditioning problem around gender stereotypes that is restrictive and often unhelpful, for people to be fully human.

This is not to say that all men must now cry, @Slim Jim included. Just that men should feel free to do that if they wish and not feel less manly because of it. Of course there's still a lot of social pressure not to - but without talking about it, we can't change that pressure and unhelpful attitudes that ridicule healthy types of emotional expression.

Yeah I'm not convinced woman respect vulnerability. I often recoil at such instances , displays in other men. (Excessive displays.) I can only imagine what some women must think.

About the stuff that's spoofed, or about displaying emotions that traditionally (Anglo/northern European etc) men have been expected to suppress?

I think whether women respect vulnerability depends on the individual women. We can't broad-brush here. The women I hang out with mostly do.

Granted, the skit is an exaggeration for comedic purposes. Let me pose the question, though, who would a woman rather go out with? This guy, red headed redneck guy, who hits the gym, he's clearly got muscle mass, may act like a caveman, but.... Or a woody allen type? nerdy intellectual, self deprecating but 'sensitive' and understanding.....I think I know the answer....outliers excepted, most woman are going to find the tall strong guy whoa acts like a jerk, if not attractive, certainly a more appealing prospect. I've seen it with my own eyes.

I saw that kind of thing reasonably frequently when I lived in Launceston, Tasmania, and also up in Perth, Western Australia, and in London too - where that kind stuff is more culturally ingrained than in some other places. Sydney was better - just from my experience, which is not a statistically authoritative experience, just anecdotal and talking to people, including lots of resident teenagers!

Brett made that observation dating in his 20s - why did so many nice girls end up with these horrible men? My first relationship was with someone who was pretty horrible viewed in retrospect - but for me the problem was not that I wanted to go out with cavemen, it was that because of my family background my sexual script was basically shot - and I textbook fell subconsciously for exactly the sort of person who replicated the family of origin pattern. If I'd been asked to write an essay about what I was looking for, it was not the same thing as what I was actually ending up with. So the sexual script needed to be re-written.

So for some girls it's that, and for others (like some Year 12s I had in Launceston) they are actually consciously looking for cavemen and find them cool! :dizzy: Granted though, that was one of the least bright Year 12 cohorts I ever taught - they were pretty unthinking people and they had a pretty low grade average in that class. It was a little like what the film Idiocracy lampoons. The boys had bullying tendencies and wanted to do bog-laps in their cars, and the girls thought that was super-attractive (which is where they were unlike the majority of teenage girls I have taught - I tended probably not to teach in schools where those kinds of attitudes were majority attitudes).

To an extent people mature out of it (and/or divorce later - marry in haste, repent at leisure etc). But one thing to consider is that outliers match better with outliers, and that's certainly what my husband and I found. So if you're an outlier and looking at what the majority do when dating, that's not actually your pool, so to speak.

Sigh. Should I start a specific thread on this issue? It's such a wrought and complicated subject. It comes up over and over again, and it's not like relationships are a huge NT strength either, no matter what some NDs may think.

The funny, not funny, idea for me was acting confident about things you know nothing about. We have seen the type. For me, it sometimes seems pitiful, as a person who took time to develop skills in some inherently risky activities to have some guy try to talk game rather than actually participating. One guy I know talks cars but always has excuses not to get out on a track day in his mustang.

I can only imagine what aspie guys feel. My (aspie) dad is in some ways much more emotional than my nt mom, yet he presents as the stereotypical stoic aspie. He feels things so strong and has to hide it. Meanwhile my nt mom is.. Not that sensitive at all, but she is a lot more free to express her feelings. It doesn't feel fair.

Both genders have their own difficulties.

But one thing to consider is that outliers match better with outliers, and that's certainly what my husband and I found. So if you're an outlier and looking at what the majority do when dating, that's not actually your pool, so to speak.
That is certainly a topic to consider. I never felt like a real man, reveling in my masculinity with a stupid certainty about my place in the world. Yet I developed a confidence in myself and my abilities. An outlier certainly. And I liked that I fell in love with an outlier. While I had difficulty with my sexuality in the context of my social isolation and anxiety, I was primed to meet an accepting woman. The woman who was to become my spouse also had social anxiety and had felt used by men she was intimate with when she was trying for an honest connection. She fell for me when i was interested in her pleasure and followed up to enjoy seeing her again as a companion for shared experiences. She was adventurous and we continue that today.

The last time I cried in front of anybody was maybe when I was 12 or 13. Usually involving a physical confrontation of some kind. Or I had a tantrum and was going bezerk. I was a very moody kid. I could get so angry and belligerent and worked up I would hyperventilate on occasion. :sweatsmile:

I remember feigning tears to stop a fight when I was kid. I was losing. Very embarrassing. Also tearing up from various blunt force injuries.

I cried many times since then. Just not in front of others. That's alien to me. It'd be deeply humiliating. And it's deeply ingrained in my psyche. You just don't show weakness in front of others. Especially males. Predators and prey dynamics. If an animal runs shows weakness, fear. The attacking animal will be emboldened, chase and attack. I've watched nature videos. These responses are there for a reason. No just random chance. That millions of men refuse to cry. And don't have any qualms whatsoever about not crying. Or see it as any kind of a problem. Or care to change that. It's also about your environment too. Conditioning factors.

:sob: No cry zone. (To paraphrase Charlton Heston.) "You can take my tears from my cold dead body."

Yeah I like that song, By The Cure. It's so true. If it was true back then; The 70's. It was still true back In the 90's when I was growing up.

I don't know where to start with this,...;).

He covered my life at all sorts of stages from childhood (don't cry), to teenage (flexing), to adult (don't ask for help). The rest of it,...probably not so true for me personally,...but sure, I've met plenty of guys with a few of those traits.

The list of "manly" traits,...can be found somewhat in all heterosexual males,...certainly some of the list,...but I've never met anyone with all.

AwakenWithJP does quite a few satire videos on a variety of topics, especially controversial topics,...mainly pointing out how ridiculous we are.

As someone who is frankly a ball of gender confusion, I found this extra hilarious.

Particularly when he was just suddenly holding a hammer for no reason whatsoever. I've known people that act like this (to a point).

The last time I cried in front of anybody was maybe when I was 12 or 13. Usually involving a physical confrontation of some kind. Or I had a tantrum and was going bezerk. I was a very moody kid. I could get so angry and belligerent and worked up I would hyperventilate on occasion. :sweatsmile:

I remember feigning tears to stop a fight when I was kid. I was losing. Very embarrassing. Also tearing up from various blunt force injuries.

I cried many times since then. Just not in front of others. That's alien to me. It'd be deeply humiliating. And it's deeply ingrained in my psyche. You just don't show weakness in front of others. Especially males. Predators and prey dynamics. If an animal runs shows weakness, fear. The attacking animal will be emboldened, chase and attack. I've watched nature videos. These responses are there for a reason. No just random chance. That millions of men refuse to cry. And don't have any qualms whatsoever about not crying. Or see it as any kind of a problem. Or care to change that. It's also about your environment too. Conditioning factors.

:sob: No cry zone. (To paraphrase Charlton Heston.) "You can take my tears from my cold dead body."

Yeah I like that song, By The Cure. It's so true. If it was true back then; The 70's. It was still true back In the 90's when I was growing up.

The bit about not crying is always very strange to me.

It always makes me think of the old anime series Fist of the North Star. Kenshiro, the main character and probably the single manliest thing to ever exist in the history of freaking ever, actually cries quite a few times over the course of the series. Doesnt try to hide it either.

TVTropes calls it "manly tears of manliness", Kenshiro is certainly not the only character to have ever done it. If anything, it somehow makes him even MORE manly.

The way I see it, it's more about confidence than about anything gender related. I personally cry at the drop of the hat, and I'm *definitely* not the masculine sort, but the big difference is that I simply dont give a fart if anyone sees that. My general confidence says "who cares if anyone sees? If they dont like it, it's THEIR problem, not mine, and they can go shove a tree up their nose".

I've met quite a few people though who will act as masculine as possible (to the point where it just gets downright stupid), yet they dont seem to REALLY have any confidence in themselves or anything they do, and will be easily pushed around / influenced / manipulated by others.

That's just my own thoughts on it though and it will of course differ from one person to the next.

I don’t think I fit into a specific gender category in terms of behavior or mentality, but I definitely seem more outwardly feminine in a lot of ways.

My voice is distinctly female which I think came as a surprise to some people :confused: Lol
Although I think I look like how my voice sounds!

Both genders have their own difficulties.

Thank you for the reminder not to go down the "grass on the other side is greener" route. yes there are stereotypes being spoken of, but one Aspie is still only one Aspie and one NT is one NT.

Spock: "As opposed to an un-real man? Highly illogical Captain. You humans are a strange lot." :rolleyes:
Kirk: "Why Spock...did you just roll your eyes?"
Spock: "Never mind, Jim."
Kirk: "Yeah, right. Any thoughts, Bones?"
Bones: "He's dead, Jim"

Last edited:
No Spock no ..don't let the vulcan race down !

tumblr_inline_nwl4eavNVB1t3n3zv_250.gifv

Control yourself !!! your eyes are leaking !!

980x.gif

You've dishonored the star fleet...

tumblr_mrezj4JXFF1qiy629o7_400.gifv

With your shameful display of un-vulcan-like behavior

Years ago Dad would head for a door in a shopping centre as you do. If he saw someone coming the other way he'd 'change course' for the a different door at the last moment leaving the person, who expected the door to be opened for them, rather surprised.

New Threads

Top Bottom