• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Standing Tall, Keeping Watch

1689814924275.jpeg

The Tourlitis Lighthouse looks like it’s straight out of Harry Potter. It sits atop a narrow stone spire poking out of the Aegean Sea off the Greek island of Andros. Originally built in 1897, the lighthouse was destroyed in World War II and rebuilt on the rock in the early 1990s. The stone spire was shaped by thousands of years of erosion, making it the optimal pedestal for a lighthouse (both functionally and aesthetically). Adding to its fantasy-like appearance, a carved stone staircase winds up the rock to the structure itself. After its reconstruction, Tourlitis became Greece’s first automated lighthouse, operating without an on-site keeper.

1689815313908.jpeg

Sitting atop a rocky volcanic crag in the Tyrrhenian Sea is the Strombolicchio Lighthouse. Built in 1905, the remote lighthouse sits atop the exposed chimney of a former volcano, an island unto itself. A part of the famed Aeolian islands, which the Greeks believed were the home to the god of the winds. Visitors can hike up to lighthouse itself, but be warned the trip is somewhat perilous.

1689815655205.png

Maiden’s Tower, Turkey​

Also commonly referred to as Leander’s Tower, Maiden’s Tower is located on a small islet at the southern entrance to the Bosphorus Strait. Steeped in an invigorating history, Maiden’s Tower first opened in 1110, when it was used primarily as a watchtower. For a time, a defense wall linked the tower to the Asiatic shore, the remnants of which can be viewed underwater still today. It wasn’t until the tower was destroyed by an earthquake in 1509 and then later burned in 1721 that it began being used as a lighthouse. Since then, it has also functioned as a quarantine station, appeared in a James Bond movie, and now acts as a popular tourist attraction. Several small boats leave Istanbul for the tower daily. Once there, visitors can enjoy a drink or a snack in the tower’s cafe and restaurant before ascending to its cupola summit.

View attachment 109512

The Tourlitis Lighthouse looks like it’s straight out of Harry Potter. It sits atop a narrow stone spire poking out of the Aegean Sea off the Greek island of Andros. Originally built in 1897, the lighthouse was destroyed in World War II and rebuilt on the rock in the early 1990s. The stone spire was shaped by thousands of years of erosion, making it the optimal pedestal for a lighthouse (both functionally and aesthetically). Adding to its fantasy-like appearance, a carved stone staircase winds up the rock to the structure itself. After its reconstruction, Tourlitis became Greece’s first automated lighthouse, operating without an on-site keeper.
Wow!

This is the nearest lighthouse to where I live, or at least the most interesting one. Isle of May lighthouse.

Isle_of_May_Stevenson_Lighthouse.jpg

Also, a sketch of the original lighthouse, back when it was coal-fired. The first permanently manned lighthouse in Scotland, it took 3 lighthouse keepers to keep it running.

Original_lighthouse_on_the_Isle_of_May.jpg

I've always thought that the idea of "leading lights" is genius. If there's just one safe way to approach a shore (with rocks or other obstacles on either side), there will be a lighthouse and then a leading light, so that the two lights are at different heights and different locations. When the lights are lined up from the ship's point of view, the ship is on the safe course to shore.

leading-lights2.jpg

leading-lights.jpg

When looking up these pictures, I found this website: Leading lights - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia, which says:

Some major rivers, such as the Elbe River in Germany, have a series of leading lines. When it is necessary to make a turn, the navigator lines up the next pair of leading lights. This provides guidance from Hamburg to the sea, using successive pairs of leading lights.

A few more of my local lighthouses, situated on the islands in the Forth estuary, north of Edinburgh:

Bass Rock (which I used to call "Tracy Island" when I was a kid, after Thunderbirds!)

Bass Rock.JPG

The lighthouse up close

Bass Rock Lighthouse.jpg

Inchkeith Island, with surviving WW2 fortifications.

Inchkeith Island.jpg

The lighthouse up close

Inchkeith Lighthouse.jpg

And finally, Fidra

Fidra.jpg

The lighthouse

Fidra Lighthouse.jpg

Cats are excellent lighthouse keepers. :)

9780060096045.jpg
Yes! Life in a lighthouse with a cat would be wonderful. A dog may not do so well there, but a cat would be the perfect companion.

This lighthouse keeper business is starting to look better and better every day. If I disappear someday and no one can find me, look toward the light and I will be in the tall tower with my cat.

Cats are excellent lighthouse keepers. :)

9780060096045.jpg
Thanks, you just reminded me of a classic childhood series.

118339-ml-1226053-468893415.jpeg

They stop seagulls from stealing your lunch!

613WWfnoInL-3656594424.jpeg

Ahh, The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch. Anyone else remember this from their childhood? I don't know if the series made it outside the UK. The authors still write the books. The last one, The Lighthouse Keeper's Mystery was published in 2020.

This extremely creepy (but cool) haunted lighthouse is basically down the street from me.

Its light flashes in a distinct "1-4-3" pattern, which is the number of letters in "I love you," hence my 1-4-3 tattoo.

Won't say the name of the lighthouse as I don't want to give away my location, but it can be found pretty easily anyway, even if you're not a detective lol (just don't post the name or location of it on here if you do find it, please.)

3295dfc1c383c469d048e8c1ace89ce8.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom