• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Super Aspie Sense of . . .

Guppyfry

Hearing! I work in a helicopter maintenance hangar at the local airport. The other day, as I was sitting at my desk, I kept hearing emergency vehicles in the distance. Several of them, coming in one after another. I got up and went upstairs to look out a window overlooking the runway and a nearby highway, wondering if there was an accident, but all was quiet. I asked around, but nobody else has heard anything.

Later that day I found out that a plane had made an emergency landing due to a landing gear issue (it landed safely), but a number of emergency vehicles had been called on scene as a precaution.

My super Aspie senses don't lie, LOL!

That is the same with me! I can hear television sets from a distance and my husband hardly ever hears the things that I do. Lots of other annoying things too, like fluorescent lights, or clocks ticking, things like that.

Sometimes it is cool to have autie superpowers huh?

Some crazy stuff can occur when playing with aircraft. A no lock indicator on a retractable landing gear craft is good cause for concern. Most of the time,the pilot radio requests the tower to observe the gear from the ground to see if it has been lowered,but that doesn't confirm a lock.

No tower or radio,no luck and prep for a belly landing or one without a nose gear if that is the warning light that is on. Full flaps for max lift at lower airspeed,slow as possible forward speed at the verge of a full wing stall during the flair out and switch off the magnetos as soon as the aircraft is done flying is the best way out. If the gear is locked and only the light failed,no problems,only a trip to the repair shop. If the gear was in fact not locked, the minimum of damages will occur,but you have a better chance of survival.

I watched a family of four burn up in a V tail Beechcraft Bonanza at Whitman Field once after the pilot in command retracted the landing gear after he touched down.It is necessary to dump the flaps on it after touchdown and confusion can set in due to the proximity of the flap handle and the gear retract handle. The runway ground it's way thru one of the main tanks in the belly and started a fire that engulfed the entire cabin. The final approach speed of the aircraft was about 60 knots,so it was moving pretty quick when it hit the runway and all that the fire crew could do was extinguish the flames about five minutes after it stopped. The NTSB looked into it after repeated incidences over the years and mods were made to prevent future incidents from occurring.

Last edited:
I have super acute hearing also. My parents live almost a mile from the railway but I used to always be able to hear train horns and that buckling/squeaking sound when the track is slightly warped and a train is passing over it. I could also hear songs played at my sisters' school and memorised them from that, it was over the road but it was a big campus and where their common room was, was about a quarter of a mile from my house. I also have a very good sense of direction, even in strange cities, when I was in Copenhagen, my phone battery ran out and I worried I was lost but when I got back to my hotel and checked google maps I had taken the shortest most direct route back, without any map, or asking for directions etc. Finally, I have a sixth sense, where I can tell where people live with little or no details to go on, I can guess within a few streets, and often I have guessed the exact street. Also I know if two people have met previously, even if they are from other cities to each other and there is no indication that they would know one another, I often get this feeling that they do, and I have never been wrong so far :)

I think this may be part of the aspie trait of the brain perceiving sounds and lights as louder than they really are. My daughter mumbled something about breakfast this morning from her bedroom and my wife couldn't believe I could understand it.

I think this may be part of the aspie trait of the brain perceiving sounds and lights as louder than they really are. My daughter mumbled something about breakfast this morning from her bedroom and my wife couldn't believe I could understand it.
i personally dont think its a case of perceiving sounds as louder than they are, i think people on the spectrum truly do have better hearing.
the reason i say that is ive had hearing tests and the audiologist has told me my hearing is beyond what their computer software can manage.
if my hearing was simply percieved i wouldnt have been able to hear the lower sounds and higher sounds,i also can hear anti squirrel/cat devices and those 'mosquito' devices which are designed to chase young people away,despite being 32.

i have once severe,now moderate classic autism and i believe i have a lot of good traits to off set the crappy bits.

Wish that my hearing was worse than it was, it's as if I hear everything going on within a certain radius of where I live.

For several years late at night I would hear the metal gate to my property squeaking as if it were being opened, it happened most nights. It made me nervous as if someone was going to break in. My husband never heard this. He thought I was imagining it, or having some sort of episode of paranoia.

Late at night my husband was sitting outside after I'd gone to bed. A local guy climbed on top of the gate and down onto the property, my husband ran over and grabbed him and asked him what he was doing, he said he was passing through. He'd been doing it for years. That's what I'd heard all along.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom