• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The last thing you bought?

I just ordered a new "Padfolio" for work. While the image shows it setup for a right handed person it can be turned around and the notepad inserted into the other way to better suit a lefty like myself. And because of poor impulse control I also bought another fancy pen. A Wordsworth and Black just to try something from that brand.
1728914330556.png
1728914349048.png

What are you dressing up as? Very curious. It's been a while but last time I did it was as the Pope.
Not saying - at least not yet. It seems weird that I'd be willing to wear something in public but feel afraid of sharing it in a space in which I'm so open, but that's the reality right now. I'll tell anyone who asks in a DM, though.

Bought a pair of disposable fountain pens. Pilot Vpen is the brand. They are $5 Cad each. I honestly didn't even know till today that there were disposable fountain pens. Always wanted to try them out so this is a good cheap introduction.

IMG_20241015_104436728.jpg

During my primary schoolboy days, we had desks that still had inkwell holes in them :p
I'm almost ashamed to admit this but my Brother and I as children ruined a very very expensive antique fountain pen that had belonged to my grandfather. We did not know about things like filling the pen, or not putting too much pressure on the nib so we were just dipping the thing into the ink bottle and then trying to write. I know my Father still has the pen, I should think about sending it away to have the nib replaced and bring it back to its former glory. And at the same point lay claim to it for my own collection. :)

We did not know about things like filling the pen, or not putting too much pressure on the nib so we were just dipping the thing into the ink bottle and then trying to write.
When I was in Grade 2 we were taught to write with a dip pen and ink. We weren't allowed to use biros until we were proficient with "real" pens. I was always incredibly slow but I liked using a fountain pen.

When I was in Grade 2 we were taught to write with a dip pen and ink. We weren't allowed to use biros until we were proficient with "real" pens. I was always incredibly slow but I liked using a fountain pen.
We started off on big fat oldschool pencils

We weren't allowed to use pens of any kind until grade 7

We started off on big fat oldschool pencils

We weren't allowed to use pens of any kind until grade 7
Education standards used to be very high here, not so much these days. But there was also the mentality of our education department where they thought the new biros were just a passing fad and they wouldn't last. There's no art to them.

I used a fountain pen by choice for most of my years in grammar school and junior high.

I liked the tactile smoothness of ink on paper....more so than a ballpoint pen. :)

In 7th grade, our shop classes included mechanical drawing.
I excelled at it because I had been using them for several years prior to that.

I adopted the printing used on prints and still do my best to use it each day.

I have not written in cursive since my days at school.

Me neither.
Me too. I printed all my bluebook exams in college. Anything more formal required typing. The only cursive I really do is my signature. Nothing more.

In taking drafting in high school I also learned to print quite well within a specific methodology. Always preferred it to cursive after that. Go figure...

I used a fountain pen by choice for most of my years in grammar school and junior high.

I liked the tactile smoothness of ink on paper....more so than a ballpoint pen. :)
My preference, unless I switch over to the fountain pen is the rollerball and not the ballpoint. Rollerballs have much more free flowing ink than ballpoints. From what I've read the rollerball is halfway between the feel of a ballpoint and a fountain pen. I know as a lefty with rollerballs I have to be more cautious about the ink as it does not dry instantly like most ballpoints.

Also @Outdated thank you for inadvertently teaching my something new today. Had never heard the term biro before. Looked it up and it's in reference to the inventor of the ballpoint, Hungarian-Argentinian inventor László Bíró. There is some debate but he usually gets the credit for the invention.

My preference, unless I switch over to the fountain pen is the rollerball and not the ballpoint. Rollerballs have much more free flowing ink than ballpoints. From what I've read the rollerball is halfway between the feel of a ballpoint and a fountain pen. I know as a lefty with rollerballs I have to be more cautious about the ink as it does not dry instantly like most ballpoints.
I still use rollerball pens and specialized ink for some very specific transactions. :cool:

Me too. I printed all my bluebook exams in college. Anything more formal required typing. The only cursive I really do is my signature. Nothing more.

In taking drafting in high school I also learned to print quite well within a specific methodology. Always preferred it to cursive after that. Go figure...
I had office workers at business ventures I was involved in that wanted to be on my check signing list.

My go to was for them to forge my signature to relieve them of any possibility of their accounts being locked if I got audited.

They got so good at it that more often than not, my bank would refuse my signature because it didn't look like the one on record :p

New Threads

Top Bottom