• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Sandwich Thread

ancusmitis

The toast thread got me thinking about this. What are your thoughts on sandwiches? What kind do you like? Did you eat/make one today? How was it?

When I was a kid, I used to hate sandwiches. Refused to ever eat them. Then I started on burgers, with no toppings. I expanded my repertoire over a period of several years. Nowadays there's a few different ones I'll eat, but I don't eat cheese or mayonnaise so my choices are still a bit limited. Right now I am munching a peanut butter and jelly sandwich--something I have only recently started eating!

If I have to pick something, I rather enjoy cheese and mustard on bread but I tend to only eat bread because I have to. I just stuff it down cuz I have to eat (underweight yay) so often I just eat it dry because I can't be bothered to put anything on it.

I'm pretty good at eating things I don't like, otherwise my parents start ranting and whatnot.
I don't like bread, don't like the taste of it and don't like the texture of it but wouldn't know what else to easily take along to school etc.

I love toasted sandwiches - cheese, strong hot mustard and onion is a good combination, or maybe Tabasco sauce instead on mustard. I love the way the cheese melts inside, and I love eating the fried or burnt cheese from around the edges where it has leaked out onto the hot plate of the toaster - yum, that's my favourite part!

I love toasted sandwiches - cheese, strong hot mustard and onion is a good combination, or maybe Tabasco sauce instead on mustard. I love the way the cheese melts inside, and I love eating the fried or burnt cheese from around the edges where it has leaked out onto the hot plate of the toaster - yum, that's my favourite part!
As soon as it has "spicy" anywhere near the description of the package, it's not something I will eat voluntarily :3

i have some issues with sandwiches. i actually really like them, but don't eat them often for a few reasons:
  1. i like to eat and cook at home, where i can use whole foods and know what i'm putting into my body. so, i don't like buying deli meats; i roast my own beef, chicken, and turkey... which obviously is not a quick affair. the "quick meal" aspect of sandwiches, then, doesn't really apply anymore :(
  2. i like sandwiches with some layers: a meat of some kind, spinach or lettuce, onions (raw or caramelized), a nice homemade spread of some kind, and home-baked bread. having all of these ready or around--and fresh!--requires some advanced planning.
  3. when i do eat sandwiches, it's usually when i'm out at a restaurant. and they end up being messy, so depending on whom i'm eating with, it's usually not my first choice.
  4. the worst part of eating a multi-layered (often messy) sandwich for me is when you're getting towards the end, and each bite pushes the contents of the sandwich further out the end... so that when you finally get to those last few bites, the whole thing falls apart into your fingers. wasting yummy sandwich bums me out. :oops:
...... i've obviously thought about this way too much, but yes, i have very strong opinions about sandwiches :p

i have some issues with sandwiches. i actually really like them, but don't eat them often for a few reasons:
  1. i like to eat and cook at home, where i can use whole foods and know what i'm putting into my body. so, i don't like buying deli meats; i roast my own beef, chicken, and turkey... which obviously is not a quick affair. the "quick meal" aspect of sandwiches, then, doesn't really apply anymore :(
  2. i like sandwiches with some layers: a meat of some kind, spinach or lettuce, onions (raw or caramelized), a nice homemade spread of some kind, and home-baked bread. having all of these ready or around--and fresh!--requires some advanced planning.
  3. when i do eat sandwiches, it's usually when i'm out at a restaurant. and they end up being messy, so depending on whom i'm eating with, it's usually not my first choice.
  4. the worst part of eating a multi-layered (often messy) sandwich for me is when you're getting towards the end, and each bite pushes the contents of the sandwich further out the end... so that when you finally get to those last few bites, the whole thing falls apart into your fingers. wasting yummy sandwich bums me out. :oops:
...... i've obviously thought about this way too much, but yes, i have very strong opinions about sandwiches :p
That does sound like a lot of work. But it must be wonderful to eat such a sandwich, especially the caramelized onions!

I worked out one sandwich that I really enjoy. Flash-fry some garlic in olive oil and paint one slice of whole-wheat bread with the oil (but don't let it soak all the way through). Add lettuce, tomato, spicy brown mustard, and sandwich meat--usually ham or turkey. Dribble some balsamic vinegar on the other bread. Been a while since I made one of those, though.

That does sound like a lot of work. But it must be wonderful to eat such a sandwich, especially the caramelized onions!

I worked out one sandwich that I really enjoy. Flash-fry some garlic in olive oil and paint one slice of whole-wheat bread with the oil (but don't let it soak all the way through). Add lettuce, tomato, spicy brown mustard, and sandwich meat--usually ham or turkey. Dribble some balsamic vinegar on the other bread. Been a while since I made one of those, though.

Damn that sounds like a lot of work for a sandwich O.o

But I think 10 minutes is really pushing the boundaries even for dinner, so it's opinions here :3

I actually sometimes manage to forget to eat at all, silly body

Damn that sounds like a lot of work for a sandwich o_O

But I think 10 minutes is really pushing the boundaries even for dinner, so it's opinions here :3

I actually sometimes manage to forget to eat at all, silly body
I've been known to spend five hours or longer behind the stove. Mostly to get caramelized onions, but spaghetti sauce can take a while too, unless you add that grody canned tomato paste XD

Not a sandwich person. Unless it's grilled cheese. And then it has to be on specific types of bread.

However, I do love bread.

When I was very young I would eat grilled cheese pretty frequently. Then all of a sudden I decided that I hated it, lol.

When I was very young I would eat grilled cheese pretty frequently. Then all of a sudden I decided that I hated it, lol.

That was me with PB&J. I had a stint as a vegetarian and basically subsided on PB&J. Cannot even look at it now without gagging.

That was me with PB&J. I had a stint as a vegetarian and basically subsided on PB&J. Cannot even look at it now without gagging.
I had almost the same experience, except with tofu. I used to be okay with it, but then for a while it was my main source of protein. Now? Never again, lol.

I'm not big on traditional sandwiches but, I do like the more "exotic" or regional specialties. Muffeletta, Cuban, Lox on a bagel, lingonberry stuffed toast, those sorts of things.

Meat, mayo and cheese, you can keep that. I might take a Rueben or corned beef on rye, but only if nothing better is available.

I'm not big on traditional sandwiches but, I do like the more "exotic" or regional specialties. Muffeletta, Cuban, Lox on a bagel, lingonberry stuffed toast, those sorts of things.

Meat, mayo and cheese, you can keep that. I might take a Rueben or corned beef on rye, but only if nothing better is available.
I ordered a reuben once, but I told them to hold the dressing and the cheese. My mom told me, "That's not a reuben. It's just a corned beef sandwich." I don't care, it was still good though.

How about peanut butter and green olive sandwich? OK, I haven't had one of those in years.
Any restaurant I go to I usually get a Reuben, but very difficult to get a good one though. Wrong bread, toasted like a brick, too little meat, to little sauerkraut, too little dressing, poor quality ingredients. Luckily I know of a little one horse town about 50 miles from me where they are serving up gourmet food for cheap. They have the best one there that I have ever had.

I ordered a reuben once, but I told them to hold the dressing and the cheese. My mom told me, "That's not a reuben. It's just a corned beef sandwich." I don't care, it was still good though.

So long as it had corned beef and sauerkraut, it was a Ruben. I prefer mine with Balsamic Vinaigrette and smoked Provolone cheese rather than the thousand island dressing and Swiss that is traditional.

Destination Unknown That sounds good, I've never tried one but, I will now.

New Threads

Top Bottom