• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This OR that?

If I ever go over budget, this is the principle reason for doing so. I can't decide which to buy - so let's have both! Or all 10 or 20! I once bought loads of fridge magnets, because I couldn't decide which one to buy. Solution? Buy all 14!

Some philosophers use unclear terminology. I think Kierkegaard has emotional appeal but I find his cases in point strange. I'll probably come to him after I've dealt with a lot else.

By all means go for what is "academic" or "intellectual" if it is good enough to grab you, on a subject you like. I struggled through studies badly when younger and am now resuming my education on my own.

Apples are practical. Let's have for example weeks A to D:

week A both apples
week B neither apple
week C red apple
week D green apple

You can then adopt an additional rule or not - to vary the system at whim, or because there is a W in the day of the week, or it's raining.

The problem for us in ASC is intensity leading to perseveration (in not doing) causing an initiative freeze. That is why rules take the heat off us. We can even have rules to stop the rules getting silly, as described.

The essential thing is, we give ourselves a system to keep life moving painlessly, in practical terms. Eventually, we'll stop freezing.

We can use lateral thinking to adopt what Donna Williams calls an "indirectly confrontational" tactic in things. Taking the intensity of perseverating in non-initiative, or in one action dominating others to impractical effect, off ourselves.

I used to pick up nearly all the litter nearly every time I went up the road, over-filling my clean bags and dirtying my hands. I then said to myself, I'll collect only half the litter, and only every second time I go along. It's still a good thing to collect litter. Then it was a third of the litter every third time. Then the rule was I was to exempt myself according to mood, e.g cool image, help keep clean space in bags, lack of time. I'm still doing my bit, see. Looking after me well is part and parcel of looking after the world.

My rule is that I break my rules to keep my rules, then it keeps everything moving smoothly, semi-consciously. NTs learned to do this in late infancy, I'm normal, just slow, that's all. But it is soon "second nature".

In visual thinking, mental as well as concrete vision benefits from an aesthetic of harmony in angles and parallels otherwise we literally see chaos in life (difficult processing). This is so for NTs as well - how else does camouflaging work?

I took the doors off most cupboards so that my things remind me what I've got (and save my wrists, and not have them take up space swinging). (I kept almost all the doors and hinges for "the next" leaseholder.)

And yes my rations and my effects are in serried ranks. And no it isn't pathological!

Each class of things has maximum two places in my home.

Using shelves, I go up the walls to save going up the wall!

As a youngster, arranging my toy cars in rainbow colour order was visual wit, not pathology.

My mother reminisced that sometimes, when she was choosing decor, I had saved the day by my suggestions.

We can use lateral thinking to adopt what Donna Williams calls an "indirectly confrontational" tactic in things. Taking the intensity of perseverating in non-initiative, or in one action dominating others to impractical effect, off ourselves.

I used to pick up nearly all the litter nearly every time I went up the road, over-filling my clean bags and dirtying my hands. I then said to myself, I'll collect only half the litter, and only every second time I go along. It's still a good thing to collect litter. Then it was a third of the litter every third time. Then the rule was I was to exempt myself according to mood, e.g cool image, help keep clean space in bags, lack of time. I'm still doing my bit, see. Looking after me well is part and parcel of looking after the world.

My rule is that I break my rules to keep my rules, then it keeps everything moving smoothly, semi-consciously. NTs learned to do this in late infancy, I'm normal, just slow, that's all. But it is soon "second nature".

In visual thinking, mental as well as concrete vision benefits from an aesthetic of harmony in angles and parallels otherwise we literally see chaos in life (difficult processing). This is so for NTs as well - how else does camouflaging work?

I took the doors off most cupboards so that my things remind me what I've got (and save my wrists, and not have them take up space swinging). (I kept almost all the doors and hinges for "the next" leaseholder.)

And yes my rations and my effects are in serried ranks. And no it isn't pathological!

Each class of things has maximum two places in my home.

Using shelves, I go up the walls to save going up the wall!

As a youngster, arranging my toy cars in rainbow colour order was visual wit, not pathology.

My mother reminisced that sometimes, when she was choosing decor, I had saved the day by my suggestions.
Yes, I like to see what I have too... out of sight out of mind and that way I know it’s there and as a visual person I can decide something about it when I remind myself that those things exist.

It’s very difficult to create those habits and rules in a shared house. There are four other people here and could be five as well as me and I don’t think this situation is good for someone like me. I can’t be in the kitchen when they’re in there and if I’m in there and someone comes in it messes with me Their activity, their stuff is chaotic to me so I can’t leave my stuff out it has to be in cupboards. I’m just compromising all the time in order to be able to function there.

I cook when I know they won’t be there. Eating them for the same reasons. Not having anything to do with the kitchen after 4 pm. Not even visiting it to get something from the fridge.
i’m a little easier when it comes to the rules. I don’t change them often, I might adapt them. I find them and they work for me and only adjust them in minor ways according to the circumstances.

I need to live alone on my own in my own space. The only way I can imagine doing that is another campervan. And with lockdown it’s not even easy to see these things any more. So in many ways I am in a state of anxiety stress and struggling and just managing it and coping with it as best I can and for one reason or another these things are more or less prevalent at any particular time.
it isn’t easy.

I remember when there were the crass intrusions on joint space I needed to use, horrific noises, sickening smells. Not daring be there or even elsewhere. Some of my family members went through it too.

person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect...google
I would add to that assumes a supernatural cause or connection in most situations

My addition to this would be neither left nor right physical brain, but, as in the quote,
to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute...beyond the intellect.
This is done by connection with the soul mind which receives from the absolute.
Beyond the intellect which comes from the physical brain.

Was watching a documentary tonight that told about how humans are the only species that has
an activated neo-cortex in the brain.
Don't know how true that is, because if you are naturally really connected with animals, you can
learn a type of communion with them.

I always thought of the right brain dominant person as being more creative and artistic or philosophical.
The left brain is more dominant in the academic, math, science, and physical interests etc.

Sometimes I get caught in having to decide whether what happens next should be this OR that. Sometimes it just isn’t easy to weigh one thing over another. To have to make a decision when I can see value in both things. And then I remember it doesn’t have to be this or that, it can be this AND that. It is a simple conceptual solution. This AND that feels so much easier to deal with, free from the anxiety of having to choose between this or that. Trouble is I don’t always remember though. Sometimes it takes me quite a while of considering this or that before the idea of this and that returns.
Could you avoid that by planning ahead?

New Threads

Top Bottom