• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thoughts on sensory sensitive earplugs?

Dom529

Hey everyone,

Not sure if there is another/previous thread on this - what does everyone think?

This would be to be sensory friendly (my work (I am leaving) has had various types of building/construction going (for the last few months)) & that + the work just leaves me completely drained on the hectic days.

I have heard of Loops from my old partner & they sound like something to look into - has anyone with ASD tried them?

Feel like sensory noise issues are coming along with more learning + awareness (nothing wrong with the link).

Thanks!

I've seen a few people (not on this forum) recommending the sort of custom earplugs that are used by musicians. They have drivers in them that block out a lot of overwhelming noise, but still allow you to hear people speaking.

They're very expensive though. Some companies do off-the-shelf versions that are less expensive, but still a lot more than those Loops you mentioned. But generally they're custom made. Either someone comes to your home or they send you a kit for taking a mould of your ear. Then they fit the drivers into those custom shapes.

The best ones have bluetooth too, so you can hook them up to your phone for listening to music. Or for motorcyclists for example, you can listen to GPS directions or take phone calls while riding (which I've done but I have to say it's a bit distracting!)

I don't like ear plugs. The foam ones that I used at a Motorola factory stayed in, but most fall out. I prefer protective earmuffs. Noise-Cancelling Ear Muffs
full

They are high ranked on Amazon however the reviews make them less than foam ones. I tried all sorts of silicone ones and they're just super heating and uncomfortable.

I have eventually had to learn how to put foam ones in and even use hand cream to help them slide in because of my small ears but once they're in they're the most effective as well as comfortable. I still think perhaps construction earphones might do better in terms of blocking sound if you don't mind the eardrum pressure or the heat around the ears.

learn how to put foam ones in

Agreed. I've used lots of different foam earplugs and it's definitely worth experimenting with different brands and sizes. Also some are stiffer than others. Some I just couldn't get on with and they kept falling out. But others stay in no problem. When I found a type that worked, I'd buy a box of 100+ so I always had fresh ones to use.

One of the most useful techniques was to scrunch them up before pushing them in your ear and then leave your finger there, applying a little pressure for a few seconds while the foam expands again. Then it's more locked into the ear.

I’ve tried a few different things, and I do keep the squishy foam earplugs around as a back up, but I really prefer my noise canceling headphones. Earmuffs style. They have a Bluetooth connection to listen to music or white noise, but you can use the noise canceling feature by itself.

And I can still hear the things that I want to/need to hear.
Very fair consideration - the earplugs (I was mentioned) do have a version that allows you still hear conversations (while tuning out what you don't want to hear).

Each to their own but thank you for the interesting input (as always)!

I use a pair of in-ear buds with active noise cancelling and ambient sound. They weren't cheap but I splashed out because they looked to serve the purpose well. Sometimes I listen to music, but if it's a busy environment - or worse a quiet environment with someone doing something like eating an apple - I often just stick them in with noise cancelling. If I need to talk with someone, one tap and all the outside sound gets in. Another tap and you're back on your own.

I have to give earplugs a try. I hear badly, even though there is nothing wrong with the hardware. I got used to the idea that I might need hearing aid and if that would work, why not, it's worth an investment. The Loops seem interesting.

In public places like shopping malls I just listen to music usually or leave them in just because I don't want to be approached and bothered. I recently got myself noise-cancelling earbuds, but it was before realizing that my ADHD is in fact autism. Noise cancellation is a very neat feature. They're a bit bulky, but they stick very well in the place as intended. These:
https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/TAT4556BK_00/true-wireless-headphones
I used the foam earplugs while playing music and now use them while using ultrasound devices (don't ask me why I hear ultrasounds and I hear them as extremely loud, but they luckily don't transfer well between different mediums, so simple foam earplugs work well).

Hey everyone,

Not sure if there is another/previous thread on this - what does everyone think?

This would be to be sensory friendly (my work (I am leaving) has had various types of building/construction going (for the last few months)) & that + the work just leaves me completely drained on the hectic days.

I have heard of Loops from my old partner & they sound like something to look into - has anyone with ASD tried them?

Feel like sensory noise issues are coming along with more learning + awareness (nothing wrong with the link).

Thanks!

They are very expensive and not earplugs so I do not know if you want learn about them but I use Apple Airpods Pro and they are remarkable. I do not think it is possible to describe how effective and amazing they are, it has to be experienced.

Wearing them at home with the noise-cancelling turned on, I can use the vacuum and hardly hear it. It is normally a very loud thing, with the Airpods, it hardly like anything. Loud motorcycles going by, sirens, the garbage truck when it comes to pick up and dump the steel dumpster and also aerial shows with Navy jets are all fine with the Airpods in.

One of my first remarkable experiences was on a public bus. I got on when it was empty, a few stops later near a school about 60 middle school children came on laughing and screaming very loudly. I turned on the noise-cancelling and it felt like 80% of the sounds were gone.

If you do mean to use in-ear foam earplugs I recommend using the brightest you can so people see you have them in and can interact properly. I use The Ear Buddy foam earplugs, I get them from Amazon. Sometimes they make my ears hurt having them in.

Silicone earplugs for swimming do a very good job and are comfortable but they are expensive because you can only wear them once.

It is your age. I used to be able to hear the buzz of the flyback transformer (inside of old TVs & monitors) when I was your age & younger. It is the same frequency as the "mosquito" tone.
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_mosquito.phphttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito
Yeah I can hear both sounds, lol. Annoying! The higher fluctuating sound is actually louder for me, but it may be that constant sounds don't grab attention in the same manner as movement does, and constant things get damped more easily by the brain. I used to hear something make a very hight pitched noise in the TV too, but TVs no longer make this sound. I hear bats echolotating too xD Darn noise makers.

Yeah I can hear both sounds, lol. Annoying! The higher fluctuating sound is actually louder for me, but it may be that constant sounds don't grab attention in the same manner as movement does, and constant things get damped more easily by the brain. I used to hear something make a very hight pitched noise in the TV too, but TVs no longer make this sound. I hear bats echolotating too xD Darn noise makers.
Other articles say that even if you are too old to hear those frequencies, loud versions can still damage your hearing as with the frequencies you can hear.

New Threads

Top Bottom