• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

To Feel Sick After Drinking Coffee?

Do you feel bad after drinking coffee?

• Yes

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

Sozdatelniza

х̷р̷о̷н̷і̷ч̷н̷а̷ ̷в̷т̷о̷м̷а̷ ̷
I adore the coffee smell and eating tiramisu but I don't like to drink coffee itself. Last time I drank coffee I almost vomited. I noticed I feel sick because of drinking coffee and I decided not to drink it at all.

How about you? Do you feel also badly after drinking it?

I used to, though not as badly. And it was a weird "started out of nowhere" thing. It turned out for me to be heartburn/acid reflux. One Zantac each morning and I don't get it anymore. For some reason my acid reflux always feels more like nausea than anything else.

Nope. But I do drink it with lots of creamer, so maybe that makes a differnce. And I switched to decaf to see if caffeine was making me edgy.

Only after drinking on an empty stomach. It's not a pleasant feeling, but even that subsides after a while. It's the acid in brewed coffee that's probably doing it, and there are low acid brands out there if you want to try something different.

Only time I ever had a bad coffee was in a local Cafe last week, I can't name the place for legal reasons, but suffice to say the coffee wasn't drinkable, too hot, and the milk was a bit off as well, it was that UHT stuff, I prefer semi skimmed.

Drinking coffee often upsets my stomach. It's the acid in it, I think. I drink one small cup loaded with milk or half & half most mornings. A lot of the time I just make hot tea with honey for breakfast.

People who drink too much coffee often have very bad breath and a distinct and disagreeable body odor as if the coffee oozes out of their pores when they sweat.

I love the IDEA of coffee and love the smell, but if I drink it strong or even medium, it gets my heart beating so fast and yes, feeling sick. So, because I really do like coffee, I actually only have a quater teaspoon in and honey and it for me, is delicious, but others would say: that is not coffee and yet, if I had just water and honey, it would not taste the same; so I get a hint of it and works very well for me.

People who drink too much coffee often have very bad breath and a distinct and disagreeable body odor as if the coffee oozes out of their pores when they sweat.

I agree. That smell is enough to make me gag.

I don't drink coffee as I'm sensitive to caffeine. The buzzing head/spaced out feeling post coffee isn't worth it. De-caffeinated doesn't taste the same.

I adore the coffee smell and eating tiramisu but I don't like to drink coffee itself. Last time I drank coffee I almost vomited. I noticed I feel sick because of drinking coffee and I decided not to drink it at all.

How about you? Do you feel also badly after drinking it?
not instant coffee,fresh coffee makes me nauseous.it's a good idea of coffee is a laxative,so you should only consume a small amount.

I love coffee but have to be careful at times, like when my stomach is weak. I also drink a lot of tea which is easier on the stomach. Not letting it over brew helps a bit. I drink mine with milk and sugar and don't know if that helps or makes it harder.

It depends. If I drink a black coffee, I tend to sick slightly nauseous afterwards, that's why I drink mostly coffee with milk. It also depends on the kind of coffee, the kind of milk and the amounts drank during one day. If I drink more than 250 ml coffee with typical milk, I tend to get either stomachache or become really nauseous due to lactose-intolerance. Above 5 cups of coffee makes me agitated and my hands trembling due to caffeine overdose.
The worst is when drinking too much coffe while sleep deprived since it also worsens my anxiety and causes severe chest pains along the typical stomach problems.

The caffeine makes me feel very irritable and unpleasant, this alone can make me feel sick from the horrible feeling of anxiety it can cause, especially in strong coffee. I also have a lactose intolerance which makes me start to feel sickly, sometimes bloated, often with stomach cramps if I have more than a very small amount of normal milk, if I have a lot of milk or other dairy products I can actually be sick, but I now know to avoid this and lactose intolerance is very common.

There is a solution to both of the above issues however. Firstly there's obviously decaffeinated coffee which many people seem to hate the idea of, but I've found that if I buy a quality name it's surprising good and it can be difficult to tell the difference, they seem to have come a long way these days with decaf coffee than in the past when it was noticeably inferior in taste. Secondly lactose free milk has become readily available in mainstream supermarkets and it only costs slightly more than normal milk, plus in my opinion I really can't tell any difference in the taste and I never buy normal milk any more. You could even use soy milk, I personally like it sometimes, but it does have a different taste which you may or may not like, also I've never tried it with coffee and some people complain that it causes it to curdle, although this can apparently be avoided if you warm the soy milk slowly by pouring it into the cup first, then gradually add the coffee. There are other alternatives too including coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk and more which some people love, but again they have all have a different taste. Vegans use soy milk and/or other milk alternatives all the time for everything, I've been vegetarian since 1996 so I can have dairy products at the moment, but I keep them to a minimum and I'm bordering on going all the way.

Last edited:
Only time I ever had a bad coffee was in a local Cafe last week, I can't name the place for legal reasons, but suffice to say the coffee wasn't drinkable, too hot, and the milk was a bit off as well, it was that UHT stuff, I prefer semi skimmed.
Unless you are taking them to court and you can't talk about the case, it is perfectly legal to review and give your opinion on any product or service whether good or bad, that's freedom of speech. If you wish to name and shame a cafe where you had a bad experience it's your right to do so.

Any good business should appreciate all feedback, especially bad feedback as it helps them improve, if they don't see this they are more likely to fail in the long term. I was always told to appreciate complaints the most because the majority of people who are unhappy simply leave without saying anything and they will never return, plus often through word of mouth they can prevent other people from becoming customers too. If you receive a complaint you should sincerely apologise and also thank them for letting you know, then not only do you put everything right, but you also delight them by giving them something extra, E.g. a customer complains about a bad coffee, you correct the problem and give them a free cake of their choice too, if you are unable to correct the problem on that occasion you offer them a full refund and still give them something for free, it's well worth the small loss in the long run. Obviously it won't help them to name and shame them in a place where loads of people can read about it and I would always tell them about the issue first to give them the opportunity to put it right, but it's still your right to do so if you wanted to as long as it's an honest opinion.

I hate UHT milk generally, it's got a horrid sickly after taste which I definitely wouldn't recommend in coffee and it's only mainly used because it's got an especially long shelf life. No reasonable restaurant or cafe would serve this in my opinion.

Last edited:
Coffee has many effects on the body, but perhaps the most pertinent to those on the Spectrum is its effect on cortisol.

We make too much cortisol when under stress, which most of us are. Coffee magnifies this effect.

I like roasted & ground cocoa beans instead of coffee. Delicious, can be boiled for the most flavor, and it doesn't have caffeine; but theobromine, which has a gentler action. Crio Bru is one brand name here in the States.

I love the smell... I love the taste but it sometimes makes me feel really awkward and shaky, not really sick but on the edge of being so maybe...

In the winter I love mixing hot chocolate and coffee no added anything... but I can't drink very much or I become very queasy and shaky. Summer I drink iced coffee every now and then, but just on occasion... Its a big thing here. People will brew it and then put all there stuff in there and then fill a glass full of ice and pour it in there after it has cooled a little bit. Its really good.

I love going to "Sprouts" and going down the coffee bean isle... It has a grinder and people are always using it... I stand there and just smell it for a minute and not try and be weird about it...

Others do this also so I'm not too freaked over it... It just smells so good... Need to bottle the smell and take it home...

I can't stand coffee, but I have had a similar problem with tea. Somebody recommended that I add ginger to my tea. It seems to have helped. (It has been used to similar effect for morning sickness.) ;)

I'm very sensitive to caffeine, and I have a sensitive stomach. One cup of coffee I can usually handle, but when I have more than that I get the shakes coupled with palpitations, agitation, nausea and other intestinal misbehavior.

New Threads

Top Bottom