• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Understanding of Autism in mental health services?

Hi James, I tried to complete your survey, especially after reading other people's comments I thought it looked like you were being treated pretty harshly. I understand that you are restricted to the guidelines by which your university operates but this survey really highlights how far behind the times Britain is with mental health issues.

A lot of the questions really are quite offensive, not in their wording or intent but in their naivety.

A much more interesting survey would be to gather knowledge from more advanced countries like Australia, Canada and France and find out just how far behind mental health is in the UK. Ask the "mental health professionals" how much they know.

Knowing human nature (primitive primate brains operating in a modern world), I am not sure that financial incentives for inclusivity are the way to go about it. Sure, any business can be forced to meet certain inclusivity quotas and have a diverse staff, but, (and this is a big but), in doing this, are employers also being forced, in some cases, to NOT hire more qualified people? I am all for giving someone a chance in life, but there are certain situations where a meritocracy is better suited, for example, when lives are at stake. If I am a passenger on an airliner, it would ease my mind that this pilot has the intellectual and emotional capacity that exceeds the average person, that this person who is responsible for all of us, is most qualified. As an educator, I don't want to have different criteria for accepting students into a medical educational program. I want the most qualified, in part, because many schools in the US receive their funding based upon pass rate, which then becomes an ethical issue when educators have to "dumb down" the curriculum to achieve a certain pass rate, which, in turn, means the types of individuals being hired in the healthcare system are "less than", which, in turn, puts us all at risk.

The big ugly elephant in the room is that, for a long list of reasons, socio-economic, intellectual/mental health, etc. that some people, for no fault of their own, are at a disadvantage. That disadvantage often translates into less intellectual and emotional capacity to achieve the metrics needed to be effective in certain fields. Lowering standards for specific groups of individuals and meeting quotas, as well-intended as it is, then becomes discriminatory towards people who are most qualified. So, how is that solving any real-world issues? It's making it worse.

Knowing how the typical human reacts to others who are "different" in some way, we need to address the real issue, that being ignorance. The unknown triggers our primate brain (more specifically, the amygdala) to have fear, and fear can be manifested in many different ways from avoidance behaviors, to not creating social bonds, discriminatory behaviors, to all out aggression. Address that component, enhance understanding, minimize ignorance, minimize fear, and you will minimize discriminatory behaviors. If you want to change things with humans, you have to change culture, and not through some sort of well-meaning diversity, equity, and equality program that is forced upon them. Fix the problem, not the symptom.
Ignorance is indeed the enemy; today, I'm disillusioned by how far we have to go; tomorrow is a new day, but there has been steady progress since the civil rights movements, and I know that will continue. From what I understand the deaf community are an excellent example of what can be achieved over time.

If you want to change things with humans, you have to change culture, and not through some sort of well-meaning diversity, equity, and equality program that is forced upon them. Fix the problem, not the symptom.
I once read of a study that followed two groups of college applicants.

These applicants were in the 90% tier. Could get into decent universities, but not the 1% schools like MIT.

The study followed a group that went into a "decent university" and another group that got specialized admission into the 1% schools.

Turns out, the students forcibly admitted into the 1% university got washed out and had poorer life outcomes than the group who went into "decent university."

Of course, this study took place before this mentality started being institutionalized at all levels, not just at admittance criteria. These same students probably would not be failing any class in elite universities now.

From what I understand the deaf community are an excellent example of what can be achieved over time.
Yes and no. Literacy levels, employment levels, and poverty are still big problems. The progress is in discovering that sign language isn't to be blamed for these things.

Hi James, I tried to complete your survey, especially after reading other people's comments I thought it looked like you were being treated pretty harshly. I understand that you are restricted to the guidelines by which your university operates but this survey really highlights how far behind the times Britain is with mental health issues.

A lot of the questions really are quite offensive, not in their wording or intent but in their naivety.

A much more interesting survey would be to gather knowledge from more advanced countries like Australia, Canada and France and find out just how far behind mental health is in the UK. Ask the "mental health professionals" how much they know.
Having to keep things vague, I do research as well and we are probably the largest database of its kind by now. Data collection has been a historical problem in this particular field. Many participants are unwilling.

I can't say what works for autistic people, but in the demographic I work with, the only thing that has worked to collect accurate data is to go out to these people directly and authentically and in-person, relying heavily on local advocacy leaders. We also get a much higher velocity and quality of samples as a result.

I don't know. It's just been the historical kneejerk reaction of hearing people to blame it on sign language.

I have the impression that being in a disadvantaged minority means you "fall off the grid" and therefore can't find employment, struggle with education etc., because it is all based on certain assumptions and if you fail to fulfill one of them, everything stops working. Or alternatively, you can put in enormous work to fit in.

I can't say what works for autistic people, but in the demographic I work with, the only thing that has worked to collect accurate data is to go out to these people directly and authentically and in-person, relying heavily on local advocacy leaders. We also get a much higher velocity and quality of samples as a result.
I think certainly for people like me that were diagnosed later in life that holds true. Like many others here I had a lifetime of doctors and professionals giving poor advice and refusing to understand evidence put before them, and almost any official documentation we read is at best misguided and poorly informed. There isn't a lot of trust there.

I'm glad to hear someone's working towards correcting that.

I think a lot of us respond more readily when we're talking to a real person and that person can demonstrate that they have at least some level of understanding.

I have the impression that being in a disadvantaged minority means you "fall off the grid" and therefore can't find employment, struggle with education etc., because it is all based on certain assumptions and if you fail to fulfill one of them, everything stops working. Or alternatively, you can put in enormous work to fit in.
The 80:80 business rule. If you can satisfy 80% of your customers 80% of the time then you're doing OK.

Much of the world works the same way, it panders to the majority and people outside that demographic are going to have to work a lot harder to have the same quality of life. There's nothing that can be done about this, it's the most efficient way to run a society, but it's worth remembering that nothing's ever going to be easy.

New Threads

Top Bottom