• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unprofessional approach to known side effects.

I suspect I lost two years of recover after my stroke, due to the error the original doctor made and the other doctors including my original family doctor did not want to contradict the original doctor.

I suspect I lost two years of recover after my stroke, due to the error the original doctor made and the other doctors including my original family doctor did not want to contradict the original doctor.
Yeah...

It's no fun when you want to ask for help and get the "Well... if Dr so and so did that it's because he thought it was best." 🤦🏻‍♀️

Unfortunately, some doctors care more about pushing pills than about knowing what their patients are feeling
From my experience and in my country, we (the doctors) have no benefit whatsoever from medication we prescribe. Is that a thing? I get paid whether I prescribe something or not, no matter what that is. The insurance pays for it, but I don't get that money. That money goes to the pharmaceutical company (or to whomever). I always get the same amount. It would make no difference to me at all, financially, to prescribe something, or not to.

I understand that people make bad experiences with doctors, that doctors can be annoying, or act entitled, or be arrogant, or don't listen. But the young fellow doctors I know, myself included, are all doing their best with what they have available. Not one of them went into the career wanting to rip people off or make money while prescribing expensive pills. We would often love to have more time and resources available to treat patients better. We do our best. We listen and we try our hardest to get things right.

That's not to say you can't vent about things that went wrong, and many doctors out there are idiots, I don't argue with that. I just want to state this.

From my experience and in my country, we (the doctors) have no benefit whatsoever from medication we prescribe. Is that a thing? I get paid whether I prescribe something or not, no matter what that is. The insurance pays for it, but I don't get that money. That money goes to the pharmaceutical company (or to whomever). I always get the same amount. It would make no difference to me at all, financially, to prescribe something, or not to.

I understand that people make bad experiences with doctors, that doctors can be annoying, or act entitled, or be arrogant, or don't listen. But the young fellow doctors I know, myself included, are all doing their best with what they have available. Not one of them went into the career wanting to rip people off or make money while prescribing expensive pills. We would often love to have more time and resources available to treat patients better. We do our best. We listen and we try our hardest to get things right.

That's not to say you can't vent about things that went wrong, and many doctors out there are idiots, I don't argue with that. I just want to state this.
It's not a question of monetarily benefiting.

Sometimes, too many times, I have the feeling that they are just trying to push you along.
I tell a doctor that I'm having a certain issue, and they reach for the prescription pad. And if I try to argue and say that no, that's not it, I get replies like "If you refuse to take the medication, we'll know that you don't want to be helped and will have to let you go."

For instance. Currently I am overweight. That is a fact, and I don't try to divert from it, but also know that the only 2 times I lost weight was when I was so depressed that I stopped eating. Literally! I would spend weeks only drinking water because food gave me nausea. but As soon as I started eating normally I'd become plump. Then, when my dog died I stopped walking as much. I used to take him out 3 to 4 times per day, and walk kilometres with him. He loved that and I loved seeing him happy.
After my dog died I isolated myself even more and stayed home only going out 2 or 3 times per week to go to work. I gained a lot of weight...

All this has happened in the past 8 years, but I've been asking for psychiatric/psychological help for decades, long before I became fat.

Why the long story?

Because last month, when I had my first psychiatry appointment, one of the first things the doctor told me was "You are fat." and when I tried to tell him that my mental issues are not because I'm fat, he brushed aside what I was saying and pulled out the keyboard and started typing a list of 4 medications, saying how this one would help with my anxiety and curb my apetite, how this would help my panic attacks and help me lose weight, how this one would control my yearning for food...

I could spend days not eating, have to force myself to eat sometimes because it annoys me that I have to stop what I'm doing to go eat something. I don't drink sodas or bottled juices, hardly ever eat sweets or cookies or anything like that. Don't even have any at home. Grew up not having that kind of stuff at home.
I tried to tell him all that and his reply was "Take the meds or lose the help."

This is what I mean that they are more interested in pushing pills. He refused to listen to me. Then the psychologist did exactly the same.

What am I supposed to think?

In the USA, as I understand it, the main problem is physician ratings play a significant role in ACA - I've even heard it be claimed that it affects reimbursement rates. And patient satisfaction scores are part of that.

So my takeaway is that our system incentivizes doctors to give their patients whatever prescriptions they demand. We have an enormous doctor-shopping mentality here.

In the USA, as I understand it, the main problem is physician ratings play a significant role in ACA - I've even heard it be claimed that it affects reimbursement rates. And patient satisfaction scores are part of that.

So my takeaway is that our system incentivizes doctors to give their patients whatever prescriptions they demand. We have an enormous doctor-shopping mentality here.
Yeah... I think it's more or less like here, but we don't get to rate our NHS doctors. So many of them just try to show work. The more people they see the better.

My wife's mother gained weight after her marriage when I meet my wife did not give it much thought 35 years later she had a mild heart attack went into hospital they wanted to operate on her she went in they put her under when they opened her up found she had 4 holes in her heart she did not survive the operation none of her doctors over her 85 years of life caught this explained her weight gain after marriage. my wife's brother brother found out a few weeks later that he had a small hole. So you never know.

New Threads

Top Bottom