• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Does Reading Facial Expressions Really Mean?

WoW I failed at that, 12 of 36, I'd feel better if 10 of the twelve weren't straight guesses, if it was fill in the blank I'd have no clue... :/

I'm somewhat under the impression that for these tests multiple choice exists since we're unable to create a format that's a bit more forgiving if you're lousy with spelling a word. If there's a proper way to implement such a tool I'm guessing blanks will become a thing.

But overall this multiple choice thing with facial expressions is hardly realistic, since that's not how it works in real life either...

I got 22 out of 36 but quite a few were lucky guesses. In real life though I have more difficulty reading faces.

I remember taking a test before about facial expressions, and I got most of them wrong, but apparently even NT's didn't get them all, they just missed fewer than autistics. I found that very interesting. Doesn't mean the trouble with nonverbal expression thing is not a thing, but it does suggest that a lot more than just the face is relevant in nonverbal expression.

I one time was on an interview for a job. The person interviewing me dropped their jaw in amazement at the nutty things I was saying on that interview. They could not believe what was coming out of my mouth on an interview. I did not get their facial expressions or get I was saying inappropriate things on an interview at all until about a week later. Many times it takes me a while to figure out I said a very crazy thing that really surprised the person. I have done this many times to bosses. I cannot read facial expressions even when very obvious and I cannot respond appropriately myself to news given to me. One time my daughter fell right in front of me at a store and broke her arm. It took me 30 seconds to respond to incident. I just kept staring not knowing how to respond.

The problem with these facial expression tests is that they don't happen in isolation: they cannot be read in isolation.

I'm considered very good at it, having discovered Ekman's work decades ago and seeing how it fit into my own passionate psychological interests. But I'm working with a person who is also doing body language, voice tones, and context in what they say. It's a package deal and with an Aspie who can pick up subtle cues, I believe it can be taught.

NT's are taught. Just not in a way Aspies can understand.

I do poorly on that test despite it being helpful that it is multiple choice. I noticed that many times my initial interpretation of the image was wrong but I recognised the correct answer in the choices. In real life I do okay with positive facial expressions but misread the negatives or see it as negative when it may be more neutral. As someone with some serious RBF herself I should be more able to spot it in others.

New Threads

Top Bottom