• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What? I am on the speaker phone, oh boy.....

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Do you have a relative or boyfriend/girlfriend or co-worker who doesn't tell you that you are on speaker phone at times when you call?

If you are calling, you almost have to assume you are on speaker phone, but l feel bewildered if l need to let them know or not know. Or if they need to let me know? It's like it's a grey area?

It's not a grey area. The person using speakerphone should always tell the other party if other people can hear them.

I would definitely want to know if I am on speakerphone and it is the first thing I say to someone if I have them on speakerphone.

I remember one time I phoned my aunt crying about something personal and private, but she was in a restaurant - with speakerphone on. She always has speakerphone on because she's partly deaf but I forgot. I was in too much of a state to think. Although nobody in the restaurant knew me or even saw me, there's still a chance some might have heard and it's still a bit embarrassing to have strangers hear your private business.

We tell people they're on speaker even when they're expecting to talk to more than one of us, even when they want to talk to more than one of us. People should always mention it!

I always assume that what I say on the phone will be rebroadcast on CNN evening news. That way, speaker phones don't bother me.

Do you have a relative or boyfriend/girlfriend or co-worker who doesn't tell you that you are on speaker phone at times when you call?

If you are calling, you almost have to assume you are on speaker phone, but l feel bewildered if l need to let them know or not know. Or if they need to let me know? It's like it's a grey area?
I so often hear private phone conversations of complete strangers because one party doesn't seem to care who hears them.

A sign of the times? Perhaps...but rude as hell IMO. :rolleyes:

I am still laughing about that @Fino , but l know you didn't mean it that way. You are a very intelligent and interesting person with a lot of common sense. I hope you aren't upset with me. I am glad you are at this forum.

Last edited:
I so often hear private phone conversations of complete strangers because one party doesn't seem to care who hears them.
That's something a lot of tourists do here, very annoying and very rude. Tight enclosed spaces like on public transport or in an elevator are quiet places normally, but some people are so self absorbed that they don't notice that they're the only ones making noise and everyone else is staring at them with angry faces.

I can usually tell. The other person sounds like they are inside a coffee can or in "the cone of silence."

My penultimate son often has me on speaker phone in his home or in his car. Only his bride is in earshot, so I do not mind. The only down side is that he often moves outside the mic's range and I cannot hear him.
Cone Of Silence, Get Smart

Last edited:
I always use speakerphone at home because it works better for my ears, never mention it to others because there’s never anyone else here. Don’t use speakerphone in public because I don’t like when others do it. In fact, I’m not terribly impressed with people carrying on public phonecons when Not on speakerphone.

Great ‘callback’ on the Cone of Silence, @Crossbreed . :D

I am still laughing about that @Fino , but l know you didn't mean it that way. You are a very intelligent and interesting person with a lot of common sense. I hope you aren't upset with me. I am glad you are at this forum.

Not upset at all. It's hilarious! I laughed on and off for a while.

I always laugh at the people walking round with their phone horizontal in front of their face like some sort of sandwich, talking into the end of it. AFAIK this came about from reality TV. On programs where contestants/stars have to use a smartphone (e.g. the Apprentice, Kardiashians) it's a big hassle to record the conversation using apps etc. Much cheaper and easier to stick it on speaker and have a boom mic record it all. So NTs, being highly enamoured with copying their heroes, decide they'll use their phone the same way, despite not being on TV, and it being a terrible and annoying way to use a phone. I'm so happy to be autistic sometimes.

A sign of the times? Perhaps...but rude as hell IMO. :rolleyes:
It does take some getting used to. I guess what is being said is very important to them, and they can't wait. They expect you to ignore them because it isn't your business. That isn't always easy if they get loud. Or maybe they don't care if everyone knows their business because they are just being real.

The ones that sometimes crack me up are the people on their Bluetooth headsets that look like they are having wildly animated conversations with thin air.

For many people, this is the new normal, and considerations of perceived rudeness are your problem and not theirs. I rather agree with them.

For many people, this is the new normal, and considerations of perceived rudeness are your problem and not theirs. I rather agree with them.
It's been many years since I enjoyed going out to restaurants but I used to love going to one in Melbourne, Leo's Spaghetti Bar. It was a bar and a restaurant and it ran a signal jammer - no phones or wifi inside the building.

They had a huge sign out the front warning people to turn their phones off but most people think they're above other people's comfort. When a phone is constantly seeking a connection it runs the battery down really fast. It was amusing watching idiots complaining that they were expecting calls and now they had a flat battery.

...it ran a signal jammer - no phones or wifi inside the building.
Such jamming is illegal in the US except for very limited use by law enforcement (such as during hostage negotiation). For some reason, we can still order them...
full

Such jamming is illegal in the US except for very limited use by law enforcement (such as during hostage negotiation). For some reason, we can still order them...
full
It's probably illegal here now too, but some people simply have no manners or any concept of common courtesy. I have seen people kicked out of restaurants because they're too loud and obnoxious with their phones though and are disturbing other patrons. In Australia we don't normally tip but I've always bought the waiter a drink when I see that happen.

I tell people they're on speaker. The only time I might not is when using the phone alone in my apartment, because no one else will hear the call. I often use speaker then because the sound is less jarring.

New Threads

Top Bottom