• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is this

Alright 1 in favor of acid bath, it will happen!

I did a quick search and found several similar looking examples called Drusy Quartz. And funnily enough, the examples that looked the most like the pictures above were found in Wisconsin.

I enjoy the geology here a lot

Soaking in CLR and water.
1000002528.jpg

It's doing something! The water turned yellow.

May have to step it up to hydrochloric acid after I wash it a few times. Or just be more patient.

On today's instillation of what is this

I know it druzy quartz, but it appears to be on some sort of lacey looking quartz. Or possibly lace agate? I am unsureView attachment 130812
Looks to me like drusy (or druzy) quartz on agate and limonite. There does appear to be some lace agate, but that term is often in the mind of the beholder. Last time I checked, lace agate was a lapidary or gem term, and not an official geological term. The CLR ought to dissolve the limonite.

Yes It appears you are correct @Shamar , I really don't know how else to describe it though. Here is an update

IMG_20240608_200301429.jpg

I will have to get more CLR tomorrow morning as I do not want to mix hydrochloric acid if there is somehow any residual CLR left in the pourous rock. And I really do not feel like driving 20 miles to get it tonight.

This is off topic but I saw it in a youtube video and for some reason it made me think of you. It's a rare gem found in Australia's Northern Territory - Rainbow Latticed Sunstone.

sunstone.jpg

I looked it up on the net and looked at lots of pictures, but I never thought of looking for a price. Only found in one small region of the planet suggests that large diamonds would be cheap by comparison.

I just started looking at examples for sale, certainly not cheap but not as bad as I first thought. It would be nice to find a piece one day, maybe I should fossick around a bit next time I go back up there.

I lived up there for 20 years but never thought of looking for gems. I do want to go back for a visit one day but I need to buy a car first. 32 hours drive from Adelaide to Darwin.

New Threads

Top Bottom