• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What song are you listening to right now?

Terri Clark - Poor, Poor Pitiful Me
I used to have the same GTO as she has in this video :D

Martina McBride - "The Dance"
John and Martina McBride used to fund a project I worked on for the music recording industry when I was designing and manufacturing parts for Korby Audio Technology studio grade recording microphones.
There was one particular part I made for the mics that required a 7/8-100 thread per inch internal thread to a shoulder that was about 1MM (.040) deep and a matching external thread on the mating part that were both made of brass. The peak to peak size of the thread was about .004 inch,or about .001 inch larger than an average human hair.

The blind shouldered thread was about .75 MM deep with a .25 MM tool clearance groove that had a serious crash potential for a very tiny delicate internal thread cutting tool if it hit the back wall. The tool was ground on a surface grinding machine that was about .5 MM(.020 in.) wide in order for it to have clearance to the relief before the shoulder with a full thread before the blind area crash zone and had to be hand finished on a whetstone to make it smooth enough to cut cleanly in miserable to cut brass. I ran 20 multiple pass cuts that took about thirty seconds for the entire process to complete that was moving and stopping faster than you could see. Every time I hit the start program button,I had to hold my breath because of the crash potential and ruining a tool that took five hours to make. I never broke the tool.

The thread was .005 inch deep and required inspection under a microscope because it resembled a scratch to the naked eye. At first,my shop produced hundreds of both parts at a time and select fitted parts to find suitable fits for adjustments done in a sound lab.After tweaking my CNC machine and using a $500 commercial grade thread go/no go standard,I has able to produce runs of 100 mating parts that were interchangeable. With a .007 theoretical thread depth that can never be achieved in full and the .00025 inch tolerance for the actual thread clearance,they were really something to be proud and the awe of many seasoned machinists. Korby burned me for some product,so I shut his tap off and he sent the work to China where the quality suffered a lot,but they were willing to play for cash up front :p

Leave it to autie focus to some serious detail,otherwise stay on the porch with the pups ;)

This is me holding an unfinished KAT HRS body I designed and machined that took about two hours of CNC machine time to produce both parts.

20151020_025720.jpg
kat hrs.JPG

The lower pic is from the Korby website of a finished mic

The next pic is of a recent dealer sale price for one
KAT HRS sale pricing.JPG

http://www.korbyaudio.com/ client list
Sorry for the rant,or am I? :D

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom