• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What, you think l am NT?

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Tonite, l told someone, l am actually ND. l know you thought some how l was a social butterfly and all that. But l am not.

Has this ever happened to you, where people think you are like a socially outgoing person based on your status or and looks?

Because of this forum, l finally feel comfortable being ND. l don't feel like a bad person, because l am more logically oriented.

👍 that's good

👎 we like a little resistance too, because we like that 😎

Edit: But what is the difference between [Neurodivergent (and askew or Gay?)]

Hi, Salam

Linguistically

My question is:
But what is the difference between [Neurodivergent (and askew or Gay?)]

Neurodivergent means "splitting out", unlike Neuroconvergent means "turning inwards". Both are askew.

The Truth might be between these two verges. The straight path.

Okay, l accept your post, and welcome your opinions to opening up us to further enlightenment.

👍 that's good

👎 we like a little resistance too, because we like that 😎

Edit: But what is the difference between [Neurodivergent (and askew or Gay?)]
The term “neurodivergent” describes people whose brain differences affect how their brain works. That means they have different strengths and challenges from people whose brains don't have those differences. The possible differences include medical disorders, learning disabilities and other conditions.

Gay mean you are sexually or romantically attracted to people of your own sex (used especially for men, women are often described as lesbians).

Askew means "out of the normal or correct position", but it has no connection to being gay, because being gay is a normal thing to do, it's not a disability, or disorder, or sickness etc.

Tonite, l told someone, l am actually ND. l know you thought some how l was a social butterfly and all that. But l am not.

Has this ever happened to you, where people think you are like a socially outgoing person based on your status or and looks?
I am thinking, given my limited experience with female autism (I have a female co-worker on the spectrum), that females are often much better at masking their condition. It's one of the reasons why many females never get diagnosed, or falsely diagnosed. For example, my co-worker does not come off, at all, as being on the spectrum, but when we have had our private heart-to-heart conversations about it, I know she is on medications and struggles a bit. She's appears, on the surface, to be a very happy, outgoing, social person.

Sorry, Aspychata, for talking about not connected to your topic things :)
Can't really add anything to what you wrote, because I'm NT, but I'm glad to know, that you are feeling comfortable now about being ND, being yourself.

Most of us here do not know you well enough, but me personally have no doubt based on your previous responses, I do believe you are one of us. To be be truthful I did not know your sex or give much thought to it.

Funny to think that these days I don't have enough exposure to much of anyone for them to contemplate such a question.

Or maybe I just like to keep them guessing...lol. :eek:

@Aspychata

FWIW: If I tell NT's I don't know well that I'm ND they either don't care; tell me I'm not (lol); or become confused because it demonstrates that much of what they've assumed about me is wrong.

BTW I don't make a thing about telling people, but if it's relevant I do so. There's a big difference in how men react and how women react. FWIW I think I know the reason for the M/F difference, but I rarely explain it.

The people surrounding me (and my doctor) thought I was too social to be on the spectrum. So if I got your question right, then it happened to me quite a few times.

My own experiences of telling people I'm totally insane (😉) in the spectrum have been interesting. It seems the majority of people do not want to know this, not one little bit! Even my oldest friend of 45 years first reaction was to accuse me of being an ASD wannabe (it was trending in tictok at the time, everyone wanted 'autistic superpowers' apparently, a sure sign of being NT if you ask me! 🙄).
Though he did admit I was an incalculably exasperating little tw*t!
Which maybe counts as acknowledging I'm ND? 😁

After the riotous rollercoaster period of self diagnosis with all it's ups and down, this came as quite a surprisingly hurtful blow at first. Nothing he intended, and he got more used to the idea over time, but he, and all others I've 'come out' to, have one interesting thing in common it seems, they do NOT want any details about it. I don't know if this is cultural and more specific to British people?
Maybe it's just my own over sensitivity and I see more in that silence that is really there (maybe it's simply awkwardness at not knowing how to respond?). Maybe it's just that my friends have got so used to me anyway, it was easier to just carry on as normal?
Just as I had my coping mechanisms, maybe so do they?

I suspect a good few (especially managers at work) think it's just some BS and I'm just a naturally troublesome and sometimes aggressive person, and nothing more to it (and to be fair, ASD or not, I am naturally aggressively troublesome, as many of you must have noticed by now! I hope so, it's hard work keeping that up y'know! 😊).

I've had a few people not believe me that I'm ND. I'm 42 and only found out a few months ago and I've been unknowingly until then masking all my life. So much so that it's been a bit of an existential crisis in figuring out who I am without the mask. But the mask I put on without thinking for the public world is the "social, somewhat odd yet still charming" normie.

Moving forward with my life I'm not bothering to tell folks that aren't close friends or family. If I can pass for normal and I don't need any supports then for me at least being quiet about it is the simplest thing.

I don't think so.

Long before my diagnosis, I claimed that I was a magnet for 'strange people', and that I must be a strange person myself. I didn't know what I was referring to at the time, since I had absolutely no point of reference, but to this day I still believe I have a really good neurodivergence radar (usually my suspicions are confirmed, even with online friends) and get along way better with people who are closer to neurodiversity than neurotypicality. So in turn, I think people closer to the spectrum can kind of pick me out from NTs, and even some NTs have a good ND radar as well.

Clueless NTs, though, they just actively try to figure me out like I'm some kind of alien. I've been kind of scrutinized out of sheer confusion by a few of those in my life.

I think I also just made up a few words there by accident, lol

I don't think so.

Long before my diagnosis, I claimed that I was a magnet for 'strange people', and that I must be a strange person myself. I didn't know what I was referring to at the time, since I had absolutely no point of reference, but to this day I still believe I have a really good neurodivergence radar (usually my suspicions are confirmed, even with online friends) and get along way better with people who are closer to neurodiversity than neurotypicality. So in turn, I think people closer to the spectrum can kind of pick me out from NTs, and even some NTs have a good ND radar as well.

Clueless NTs, though, they just actively try to figure me out like I'm some kind of alien. I've been kind of scrutinized out of sheer confusion by a few of those in my life.

I was dealing with some health issues talking to a friend of mine and she, herself a late diagnosed autistic, was the one that suggested I might be on the spectrum. After speaking with a psychologist I spoke to my friend again and let her know she was right. Her reply," I never had a doubt, the autism radar has been going off with you.". It's almost amusing as I feel like I was the last one to find out.

I don't think so.

I call mine a "specdar"😉🤭 it's kind of like a "gaydar" but for people on the spectrum, and seeing as I'm one of them, with a family full of them, I'm not too bad at calling it. I had that vibe about a neighbor slash ex of my oldest son (who I'm staying with, at the moment), and after sharing a bit about my own neurodivergence, at a party, she came over and shared that she suspected she had what I have (ASD+ADHD).

Nothing recently. I do remember being hurt long ago by a friend to whom I confessed to being stressed at a wedding party. She said to me ‘I’ve been watching you! You’re having a great time!’ In a dismissive tone of voice. In reality, I had had full nuclear masking going on.

New Threads

Top Bottom