• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

so does anyone here know why desktop icons will get screwed up in linux mint

it's annoying like the grid spacing icons will get screwed up and some icons will just like start overlapping with each other or be unaligned with each other or they'll just move to entirely new spaces entirely

literally when i logged in this morning, the computer and trash icons on my desktop moved themselves over to the other side

it's really annoying, is there a way to just like lock desktop icon placement in mint lol
I'm having the opposite problem. Idk how they are supposed to be able to be moved around.

I installed Mint Cinnamon onto a Virtual Machine to try it out.

Why can't I reposition the desktop shortcuts?

Did you turn off auto-arrange? (right-click the desktop, choose "customize")

If you don't, the icons will line up in the upper lefthand corner. Turning off auto arrange should allow you to place them where you want. You can also alter the grid they should align to, though it's something I've never messed with. I stopped putting favorite icons directly on the desktop a long time ago, preferring only to use them in the panel (tray).

Mint 21.3 Desktop.jpg

Last edited:
Did you turn off auto-arrange? (right-click the desktop, choose "customize")

If you don't, the icons will line up in the upper lefthand corner. Turning off auto arrange should allow you to place them where you want. You can also alter the grid they should align to, though it's something I've never messed with. I stopped putting favorite icons directly on the desktop a long time ago, preferring only to use them in the panel (tray).

View attachment 132553
Oh

Annoyed as hell,linux mint virginia wouldn't install properly saying grub file missing ,used my last memory stick so had to go and get some more
Are you trying to dual boot on a Windows laptop? Windows will keep deleting the Linux boot sector and replacing it with the Windows boot menu.

@Judge is the current expert on that, he uses external drives for different operating systems.

Annoyed as hell,linux mint virginia wouldn't install properly saying grub file missing ,used my last memory stick so had to go and get some more

When you burned the .iso file to your flash USB, did you also verify the ISO image (SHA256 Checksum) prior burning it ? If those characters don't totally match up, I know a Linux install can go awry like that. And that your image software may not necessarily detect a problem when you make the flash drive.

See the link below pertaining to "integrity & authenticity":

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=312
You might also consider downloading it again from another server source, presumably one that your browser will tell you if it's safe to do so. The last download mirror I used safely was "kernel.org".

Otherwise I take it that your BIOS is set up with UEFI and Secure Boot? With version 21.3 it should crank out that grub file without incident. Made to run alongside Windows, though dual booting may prove precarious as @Outdated pointed out above. Microsoft doesn't want to play fair.

Last edited:
When you burned the .iso file to your flash USB, did you also verify the ISO image (SHA256 Checksum) prior burning it ? If those characters don't totally match up, I know a Linux install can go awry like that. And that your image software may not necessarily detect a problem when you make the flash drive.

See the link below pertaining to "integrity & authenticity":

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=312
You might also consider downloading it again from another server source, presumably one that your browser will tell you if it's safe to do so. The last download mirror I used safely was "kernel.org".

Otherwise I take it that your BIOS is set up with UEFI and Secure Boot? With version 21.3 it should crank out that grub file without incident. Made to run alongside Windows, though dual booting may prove precarious as @Outdated pointed out above. Microsoft doesn't want to play fair.
I managed to do it,I overwrote everything on the PC with a completely fresh copy of mint virginia amd now it's working like a dream,I wasn't too bothered about getting rid of una just glad it worked

so linux mint 22 is out of beta now

i can't install it yet because right now the upgrade instructions for 21.3 aren't available yet and i don't want to do a clean install

so linux mint 22 is out of beta now

i can't install it yet because right now the upgrade instructions for 21.3 aren't available yet and i don't want to do a clean install

I've decided to hold back and wait for the consensus of the community before making that decision. I'm still not sure if I'll do a clean install or not. On smaller upgrades I've experienced no problems...but this one seems considerably larger in scope.

Ubuntu's been through about 3 different kernels in the past 2 weeks which is unusual, now running Kernel 6.5.0-45. It really surprised me when you told me Mint is still using Kernel 5.x and I'm guessing that'll be a big part of your update. If the kernel doesn't get updated enough then everything else has to be held back as well.

Ubuntu's been through about 3 different kernels in the past 2 weeks which is unusual, now running Kernel 6.5.0-45. It really surprised me when you told me Mint is still using Kernel 5.x and I'm guessing that'll be a big part of your update. If the kernel doesn't get updated enough then everything else has to be held back as well.

Frankly that's my main interest in Mint 22. Going to kernel 6.5. They're a conservative lot about that sort of thing though, seeing other Ubuntu-based distros like Pop!OS22.04 already using I think version 6.8.

Though so far in two years of Linux Mint, I can't honestly say that I've seen any advantage or disadvantage in older kernels versus more current ones. Looks like more of a gamer consideration where some games thrive on the latest kernels. I'm just stoked that all my hardware is recognized without fail. Though I have learned to manually use the "CUPS" program as opposed to letting the system automatically configure printer drivers from my HP 5530 color printer. (The ones automatically chosen produce a minor visual glitch in the printing section of Gimp 2.10, making paper sizes like 4x6 a bit munged.) Manually selecting a slightly different CUPS driver solves this issue.

Another notable feature is they are getting pedantic about Flatpaks. To differentiate ones validated and considered safe versus ones that are distributed from third parties who may or may not be trusted.

The one thing I won't be looking forward to is the deductive process of wiping out as many log file entries of glitches as I can. Not entirely necessary, but it's one of those things guided by my OCD and little else. To have a log file showing no glitches at all, even when none of them amount to anything important.It would be nice to get rid of these last two errors in my log, for which I have yet to find a solution that actually works:

1) System error: [drm:nv_drm_master_set [nvidia_drm]] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Failed to grab modeset ownership

2) Lightdm error: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

(I suspect if I rolled back my Nvidia 535 driver to 470 error #1 would just go away. As for error #2, it seems like an ongoing unsolved mystery in Linux.)

I have a third error, but don't seriously consider it as this shows up only because I elected to manually turn off Bluetooth and don't turn it on in the startup apps section. Don't leave it on if you don't use it. (Security considerations)

Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)

Last edited:
I elected to manually turn off Bluetooth and don't turn it on in the startup apps section. Don't leave it on if you don't use it. (Security considerations)
One nice thing about living in the boonies is that the house wifi doesn't reach the end of the driveway, let alone Bluetooth.

I have my home system set up to dual boot Ubuntu / Windows if you want to count that. I honestly don't use the ubuntu side that much but I do like having the option available.

One nice thing about living in the boonies is that the house wifi doesn't reach the end of the driveway, let alone Bluetooth.

I dumped WiFi to use only Ethernet years ago. (566+ Mbps is plenty.) One of the best decisions I ever made. I only use Wifi to connect to my color printer on very rare occasion given the cost of ink is more expensive than a drug addiction.

As for Bluetooth, it does appear to have a number of security issues, even when it does work as advertised. And to this day I own no Bluetooth devices.

Dual boot? Nope...I use removable drives by Icy Dock. With no particular OS dominating the other beyond a consideration of Secure Boot. Which without Windows, I don't even keep on.

Last edited:
I have my home system set up to dual boot Ubuntu / Windows if you want to count that. I honestly don't use the ubuntu side that much but I do like having the option available.
I am oppsite. I have dual boot Parrot Linux/Windows. I use Windows maybe once a month or so. I keep the wifi off when I'm in Windows, or it will try to update every time, and I can't sit and wait on that.

I am oppsite. I have dual boot Parrot Linux/Windows. I use Windows maybe once a month or so. I keep the wifi off when I'm in Windows, or it will try to update every time, and I can't sit and wait on that.
I went back into Windows 10 recently, having not updated the system in a very long time. LOL..morbid curiosity on my part and little else.

Reminded me instantly of everything I can't stand about Microsoft. Yeah, the updating takes so long compared to Linux....ugh. Realized how visually simplistic various distros of Linux are in comparison. Makes Windows seem like one big headache.

Given the mess Windows 11 is in at the moment, I have decided to reevalute whether or not I want to use Windows 11 on a separate SSD. It will all depend on what I learn when their massive 24H2 update comes out, supposedly in September. They may want too high a price for me to use their OS only as a gaming platform.

Last edited:
I went back into Windows 10 recently, having not updated the system in a very long time. LOL..morbid curiosity on my part and little else.

Reminded me instantly of everything I can't stand about Microsoft. Yeah, the updating takes so long compared to Linux....ugh. Realized how visually simplistic various distros of Linux are in comparison. Makes Windows seem like one big headache.

Given the mess Windows 11 is in at the moment, I have decided to reevalute whether or not I want to use Windows 11 on a separate SSD. It will all depend on what I learn when their massive 24H2 update comes out, supposedly in September. They may want too high a price for me to use their OS only as a gaming platform.
Honestly, if you just want Win10 to play games that still aren't playable on Linux, just get an unactivated copy, or use the LTSC version.

I'm saving up to either upgrade my laptop's storage to have two 2tb ssds (one for windows pc games that can't easily run on Linux, one to run Linux Mint), as well as a cheap used thinkpad to put Linux Mint into as a writing machine.

Another notable feature is they are getting pedantic about Flatpaks. To differentiate ones validated and considered safe versus ones that are distributed from third parties who may or may not be trusted.
I honestly hate the flatpak system and it's one of the things that I seriously don't like about Ubuntu based systems. It introduces too many loopholes into the security system. I probably will go back to Fedora again soon, I much prefer the rpm package management system. I especially like the Dynamic RPM system where you don't download and replace whole files but instead just download the updated sections of files.

1) System error: [drm:nv_drm_master_set [nvidia_drm]] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Failed to grab modeset ownership
I never had a lot of luck trying to use default nVidia drivers, they always glitched on me. So I'd download the latest source package from nVidia and compile it myself. That always worked flawlessly but then when you update your system you have to recompile the driver again. Pain in the bum. No such issues with ATI.

I honestly hate the flatpak system and it's one of the things that I seriously don't like about Ubuntu based systems. It introduces too many loopholes into the security system. I probably will go back to Fedora again soon, I much prefer the rpm package management system. I especially like the Dynamic RPM system where you don't download and replace whole files but instead just download the updated sections of files.

I never had a lot of luck trying to use default nVidia drivers, they always glitched on me. So I'd download the latest source package from nVidia and compile it myself. That always worked flawlessly but then when you update your system you have to recompile the driver again. Pain in the bum. No such issues with ATI.
Yeah. Trial and error has taught me a preference of downloading apps native to Linux Mint when they're available.

Nvidia driver problems? I just work my way up with them, assuming the most recent ones may not work on my Nvidia Ti1660. And on my Ti650 I know better than to try past their 390 driver.

I stick with Nvidia if only for color accuracy. Allegedly better than Radeon. Though I can certainly appreciate a driver that doesn't have fits with the kernel. Decades ago I rather liked my ATI video card.

New Threads

Top Bottom