• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

Archiving my home directory as a tar file is exactly what I was gonna do.
Don't copy over all your hidden files - ones that start with a dot. That will corrupt your new system and it'll fail to boot.

Some are worth saving, .mozilla contains your Firefox profile with all it's saved logins and passwords, bookmarks, etc. Caveat with copying that one to a new system - if there's already a .mozilla folder in the new system you Must delete it before copying the old profile in, overwriting the new one doesn't work.

If you use Thunderbird for email then the .thunderbird is safe to copy over as well.

Some positive observations about Mint 22.0:

The repository does work much faster now than before. Not an exaggeration at all. Also the update manager icon shows up quite quickly in the panel compared to Mint 21.3 and earlier versions. The Ubuntu font seems a bit sharper as well, although no font settings were changed.

Though within the repository they are clearly restricting Flatpak options of various apps to download. You can choose to turn off the filter that restricts "unverified" Flatpaks, but it recommends you don't. No surprise given Mint's usual elevated attention to security concerns.

Oddly enough the previous versions I had of apps such as Audacity, Audacious and VLC were all deleted with the upgrade. In reinstalling them from the new repository, all were updated versions, but still not Flatpaks. I wasn't very happy with the VLC update though, as it still carries a more primitive interface that doesn't gel well with the dark scheme. I'm almost tempted to override the Flatpak filter to download a version of VLC not considered "safe" just to get something that I had before that visually fits with a dark interface scheme.

While the upgrade didn't delete my version of Thunderbird, it did replace it with a later version. Weird and inconsistent...but it all works fine. (I already had the most up-to-date version of Firefox.) And while the upgrade didn't delete or update ClamTk, I had to delete it and reinstall it to get it to work in Mint 22.0.

About the only "glitch" I've noticed so far is on boot when the cursor jumps momentarily to the right, only to bounce back to where it should center. They'll probably fix that in the near future, but it has no effect once the OS is fully booted.

Log file errors seem to be predominantly indicative of Bluetooth concerns. Kind of funny, basically because I turned off Bluetooth both in the startup apps as well as the panel icon.

I have yet to encounter that strange freeze of the OS I encountered previously with Mint 21.3, despite defaulting to Nvidia driver 535. Hopefully this problem has been rectified with the latest Linux kernel (6.8) being applied in this version of Mint 22.0.

Otherwise it all seems fine at this point, making me prefer to install it from scratch through an .ISO flash drive if I have to reload it again in the future. This was by no means a simple- or routine upgrade.

Last edited:
An amusing observation I discovered with Mint 22.0. When I accessed the "Gnome Tweaks" app the fonts section contained many more different "ubuntu" typefaces than before. Switching them made the overall appearance of my main font much better looking, especially in Firefox.

Still odd though, in going into the "settings" menu and then to "fonts" the variety of ubuntu fonts seemed much more conventional and limited in comparison. - Weird.

But hey....even this website looks improved!

Yet when I accessed Libre Office Writer and looked at the available ubuntu fonts, the selection was more like before...with just a couple of basic variations.

Most of all I have yet to experience the OS freezing. Maybe that big upgrade with the kernel in conjunction with my Nvidia driver did the trick. Hope so....

Last edited:
Yeah....I'm going to reformat this SSD and install Linux Mint 22.0 from scratch, based on a recently downloaded ISO flash drive from Linux Mint's site. Using the "kernel.org" source.

I continue to have random freezes of the OS based on various apps in use at the times. Still have not been able to confirm it's all relative to my Nvidia driver or hardware. Though the same issue has never happened when using Ubuntu-based Pop!OS22.04 on this same computer.

The one thing I know for certain is that the problem started after a specific kernel 5 update when this was still Mint 21.3. Knowing version 22.0 uses the advanced version "6" kernel. So I'm guessing whatever caused this in the first place was not purged in upgrading version 21.3 to 22.0.

And I previously posted how "rough" it seemed to do an upgrade rather than an installation from scratch. So hopefully installing Linux Mint 22.0 from scratch may solve whatever this issue involves.

Last edited:
I still haven't upgraded to Mint 22 because I can't find any of my flash drives to burn the ISO to make a bootable USB to lmao. I know I brought them with me, but I just can't find them.

Honestly maybe yesterday I should've stopped at Walmart and just grabbed like the first USB 3.0 thumb drive I saw so I could do it but I didn't.

Well, I installed Linux Mint 22.0 from an ISO flash drive. An uneventful installation. In fact in booting it up or shutting it down I'm not getting any weird messages usually relative to my Nvidia card and driver. However this time I have chosen to put off even looking at the log file. That may have been what has gotten me into trouble, making a number of "tweaks" for which may have caused the occasional freezing up of the OS, causing me to have to cold boot. All in effort to eliminate log comments, one-by-one. Which may not have even really mattered.

So for the most part, I'll be troubleshooting the OS based on a "vanilla" installation without any exotic tweaks. Hopefully the infrequent and random freezing won't happen again.

It's taken me two years to figure out how to change the icon of Photoshop 5.5 used through Wine 9.0. (Keeping in mind non-Wine app icons can be easily changed within the Cinnamon Menu Editor.) All I had to do was choose the exact name of the icon I wanted inside Linux Mint and use the "Main Menu" and click on the button "Edit Desktop File". From there I just changed the precise name of the icon in text to finally change that ugly icon used by the Windows version of Photoshop: Icon=org.xfce.ristretto

Another nice thing I found in Mint 22.0 was that they finally fixed the "repair" function in the "Disks" program, so repairing a flash drive is just a one-step operation as it should be. Fonts also seem to render clearer and crisper in Firefox 129.0.

And the CUPS program has updated my HP laser and inkjet printers so I no longer see glitches in the menu text regarding printing paper sizes in the print menu for Gimp 2.10. (Apparently it looks like Gimp 3.0 will be out in the near future.)

Didn't "Redshift" come installed on earlier versions of Linux Mint? I was also pleasantly surprised that it isn't already loaded on Mint 22.0. As well as any number of fonts which seem to be somewhat less with version 22.0. Nice trend....

One thing that doesn't appear to have changed with Linux Mint is that you cannot trust the Repository (Software Manager) to display only software that it actually can download. I've found this particularly with games. Where it didn't show BillardGL (Pool) at all, yet when I typed the name in the search box it came right up. So don't assume just because you don't see a particular app you want that it isn't there.

Last edited:
It's taken me two years to figure out how to change the icon of Photoshop 5.5 used through Wine 9.0. (Keeping in mind non-Wine app icons can be easily changed within the Cinnamon Menu Editor.) All I had to do was choose the exact name of the icon I wanted inside Linux Mint and use the "Main Menu" and click on the button "Edit Desktop File". From there I just changed the precise name of the icon in text to finally change that ugly icon used by the Windows version of Photoshop: Icon=org.xfce.ristretto
You seem to suffer the same problem as me - over thinking things. Changing desktop icons for Any program is a lot easier than that.

Right click on the icon and select permissions. That opens the left hand window in the image below. Click on the icon in that window to change it.

When you click on the icon to change it you get the right hand window in the image below, by default it opens up looking at a system folder full of common system icons, but in the top right hand corner is a Browse button. Simply browse to where ever you installed your program and use it's own set of icons.

desktop icons.jpg

Right click on the icon and select permissions. That opens the left hand window in the image below. Click on the icon in that window to change it.

When you click on the icon to change it you get the right hand window in the image below, by default it opens up looking at a system folder full of common system icons, but in the top right hand corner is a Browse button. Simply browse to where ever you installed your program and use it's own set of icons.

I had to think about what you posted given a slightly different interface in Ubuntu compared to Mint. The real issue that I was referring to was exclusive to apps used in conjunction with Wine 9.0 and the fact that the defaulted to exclusive and primitive icons normally seen in Windows- not Linux. In the case of Photoshop, it always defaults to an ugly icon called "B48A Photoshp.0".

In the past when I tried to change the original Photoshop icon in the most basic way as you show above, it caused some kind of problem that would keep the app from even opening via Wine. (Of course changing any Linux-based icon worked just fine in the way you indicated above.) It's only when I changed the text file name that I got Photoshop 5.5 to render properly with a new Linux Mint icon.

I have no idea if this issue goes beyond Linux Mint, relative to Wine-based Windows applications. I only know it was the only way after two years of Linux to finally get Photoshop to accept a much nicer-looking Linux-based icon.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom