• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

I’ve been using linux for close to four years. I’m still using my System76 Gazelle (gaze 15). I didn’t stick with pop OS which is what is installed with it. But my nature to be constantly dissatisfied made me disto-hop until I settled with Manjaro for a while. But. I was dissatisfied with how buggy Manjaro gets and disto-hopped again until I landed on ArcoLinux. In spite of me not spending time on learning command-lines I am pretty much hooked on Arch because of AUR.

Edited for spelling errors
To amend what I said so far. I don’t think most people's will drop their current Operating Systems for Linux either. It has its advantages and disadvantages. It has come a long way.

For people who just want to use the current primary functions such as the Internet or word processing I think it’s a good thing to have especially as your computer ages.

To amend what I said so far. I don’t think most people's will drop their current Operating Systems for Linux either. It has its advantages and disadvantages. It has come a long way.

For people who just want to use the current primary functions such as the Internet or word processing I think it’s a good thing to have especially as your computer ages.
Nine years ago I installed Linux Mint on a desktop and found that it worked well. For a decade before that, I would try installing a distro on some machine about every year or so. When I ran into a problem that I'd have to spend any more than five hours nerding out to solve, I'd stop and wait until the next year.

As I used Mint on the desktop back in 2015, I found that it worked pretty well. Especially Libre Office, which I could get away with doing a lot of work for my business on, even though I interacted with a lot of Microsoft Office users. As time went by, I used Excel less and less.

I had one Asus laptop that I used for an Autocad install, so I installed the Stop Windows 10 utility to prevent the auto upgrades to Windows 10 and kept using Autocad on that laptop. Eventually Autocad went to a subscription model and basically tried to screw over everyone. So I decided to try out QCad on Linux. I was impressed, and started using it for any of the 2D work that I was doing, wherever possible.

So the Windows laptop got used less and less. The other day, I realized that I hadn't started it up in nearly two years, so I just blew it up and put Linux on it. It runs OK on Mint 21.3, even though it's now 12 years old. Another bonus. I use it to stream music and other low-intensity operations.

Here's my advice: If you're growing tired of being manipulated by Wall Streets pickpockets, just take one old computer and put Linux on it. Use it as a toy. Try out some things, especially Libre Office. It just might catch on. And it won't really cost you anything, nor make Windows any less available.

I really liked Windows XP and Windows 7. But it's Microsoft, which means they always deploy thousands of well-paid people to make a good product worse. If something good comes along, it's usually an accident that they strive mightily to correct.

Nine years ago I installed Linux Mint on a desktop and found that it worked well. For a decade before that, I would try installing a distro on some machine about every year or so. When I ran into a problem that I'd have to spend any more than five hours nerding out to solve, I'd stop and wait until the next year.

As I used Mint on the desktop back in 2015, I found that it worked pretty well. Especially Libre Office, which I could get away with doing a lot of work for my business on, even though I interacted with a lot of Microsoft Office users. As time went by, I used Excel less and less.

I had one Asus laptop that I used for an Autocad install, so I installed the Stop Windows 10 utility to prevent the auto upgrades to Windows 10 and kept using Autocad on that laptop. Eventually Autocad went to a subscription model and basically tried to screw over everyone. So I decided to try out QCad on Linux. I was impressed, and started using it for any of the 2D work that I was doing, wherever possible.

So the Windows laptop got used less and less. The other day, I realized that I hadn't started it up in nearly two years, so I just blew it up and put Linux on it. It runs OK on Mint 21.3, even though it's now 12 years old. Another bonus. I use it to stream music and other low-intensity operations.

Here's my advice: If you're growing tired of being manipulated by Wall Streets pickpockets, just take one old computer and put Linux on it. Use it as a toy. Try out some things, especially Libre Office. It just might catch on. And it won't really cost you anything, nor make Windows any less available.

I really liked Windows XP and Windows 7. But it's Microsoft, which means they always deploy thousands of well-paid people to make a good product worse. If something good comes along, it's usually an accident that they strive mightily to correct.
Thats much better than how expressed. I wasn’t aiming to minimize Linux use. Though depending on certain uses.

Some people can’t use GIMP and need Photoshop. Which, in of itself, has a very expensive subscription service. LibreOffice is fantastic. I don’t think there is much it can’t do that MS can.

Those are the same types of people who I feel don't actually want Linux to become more popular because they just want to continue to act smug and believe themselves to be superior in comparison to the plebeian masses using Windows.

(And then inevitably whenever someone makes a post about that type of Linux user on social media, there's always going to be at least one of them showing up in the replies to try and defend and justify their attitude and behavior while everyone else is like 'you're an a-hole' and they just continue to double-down on acting like that)

This is true. Yet another kind of "culture war".

Those who want to keep Linux to themselves versus those who would like to see it proliferate. And as as long as they keep troubleshooting difficult, the disparity between Windows and Linux won't likely change. The less user base in Linux, the less attractive it will always be to hackers.

Though I don't interact with such people in real-time anyways. Then again neither do I correspond with "Linux Elitists". I don't give a crap about the social aspect of it all, only the technical aspects. Where yes, part of being a Linux user with a moderate amount of skills requires me to scour the Internet looking for the right answer. Which admittedly can take time given how so many post alleged solutions that simply don't work. That most often I find the right answer I'm looking for, without having to interact with anyone. Effectively avoiding those inflated egos.

In Linux Mint I'm down to just two items in my log file. One no one seems to have an answer for:
"gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file".

Of course one thing I've also learned is the difference between what a log file posts, versus what the "System Report" actually posts as a genuine problem. That the log is more or less esoteric, where often the consensus is that if the system runs ok otherwise, not to be too concerned with what a log file spits out.

Then again, for whatever reasons I had built two computers more than a dozen years apart where neither would recognize audio output in any Linux distro I installed. I had to go out and search for the answer, and found it. It would seem that Linux doesn't like Realtek and Intel audio hardware. Leaving me to change the parameters of two files, and add an entirely new line to a third file. Plus most of all, having to download Alsa-Tools-GUI which provides a program (HDA Jack Retask) allowing me to change some parameters about my rear audio jack to actually give my computer sound. Rebooted and voila! I have good quality high-definition sound.

Yes, this is indeed what one is likely to face when making the switch from Windows to Linux. Requiring patience, curiosity and most of all perseverance. But dealing with the Uber-Nerd elistists of Linux is easy. Simply don't interact with them.

Some people can’t use GIMP and need Photoshop. Which, in of itself, has a very expensive subscription service. LibreOffice is fantastic. I don’t think there is much it can’t do that MS can.

I use GIMP 2.10 pretty much only to print photos rather well. Not create or alter them. For that I continue to use my cherished Photoshop 5.5. An ancient piece of software that runs far better through Wine and Linux than it did on Windows 10. (Wine-supported Photoshop cannot make use of its own printing features. I have to save the file then print it through Gimp 2.10).

Yet I too cannot imagine to be robbed by Adobe for what they want for a full-fledged version of Photoshop. That's insane...leaving only consummate professionals willing to pay that price. But then it's no secret Adobe is practicing niche marketing. And for them it works.

Linux alternatives like Gimp 2.10 and Photopea are great programs to use if one is willing to put in the time to handle their learning curve. But as long as I have Photoshop 5.5, I can attain what I want with time and patience. And without all the AI crap.

Libre Office? Nice! One case where if you know MS Word, you shouldn't have too much of a transition with LibreOffice Writer.

Of course my greatest fear in this respect is how long such old programs will be supported. Right now I know even Ubuntu is putting out their feelers on whether or not to tighten up hardware requirements for their future operating systems. So who knows? But I do hope that most Linux distros continue to offer alternatives for people with good, but older hardware and software.

I still feel the sting of having to abandon all my 16-bit software when Windows 7 came along.

Of course my greatest fear in this respect is how long such old programs will be supported. Right now I know even Ubuntu is putting out their feelers on whether or not to tighten up hardware requirements for their future operating systems. So who knows? But I do hope that most Linux distros continue to offer alternatives for people with good, but older hardware and software.

I still feel the sting of having to abandon all my 16-bit software when Windows 7 came along.
I know that there are some that are designed for 32 bit.

I don’t know if this helps, but I found a few here.

https://beebom.com/best-lightweight-linux-distros/

I know that there are some that are designed for 32 bit.

I don’t know if this helps, but I found a few here.

https://beebom.com/best-lightweight-linux-distros/
Oh thanks, that's ok though. These days I'm only interested in native Linux applications. Photoshop being the one and only exception. Up to recently I thought about putting Windows 11 on a separate, removable drive but only for gaming purposes.

Since Windows 11 has become such a mess recently, I just don't feel like taking the chance running such a vulnerable operating system compared to Linux.

I think about all those old 16-bit applications on occasion, but that's about all. Time marches on. I'll remain content as long as I can run 32-bit Photoshop 5.5. Even when tech-guru Chris Titus swears it's impossible....lol.

Last edited:
I friggin despise GIMP with a passion.

It's not like GIMP isn't a capable piece of software but it is still missing certain major features that are just expected in image editors. Did you know it doesn't even have non-destructive editing? They say it's going to be added in version 3.0 but I've found posts of people complaining about the lack of this feature from 11 years ago (and I could probably find even older complaints if I did some more digging).

To say nothing about how awful the UI and UX is when using GIMP and that's a complaint as old as GIMP itself probably. It doesn't matter how capable something is if using it is an exercise in frustration.

I know there have been forks and alternate UIs created to give GIMP a more Photoshop-like interface and UX but every single one of these projects has just ceased development.

I think people who seriously recommend GIMP as an alternative to Photoshop are either deliberately playing a prank on someone asking for recommendations, have never used any other image editing programs in their life, don't care if it takes longer to do something in GIMP vs doing it in alternatives (even though most people very much do care about how long it takes to do something like usability is a major factor in getting people to keep using your software and that is something that more FOSS developers need to start understanding), or just automatically think GIMP is superior because it's FOSS and therefore it's perfect and anyone who complains about the convoluted UI can just move back to Photoshop.

I friggin despise GIMP with a passion.
I used to love it a long time ago, especially version 2.6. I did a lot of very serious photo editing on it. I looked forward to version 2.8 coming out because up until then it had only supported 8 bit per pixel imaging and 2.8 was going to support 16 bit per pixel.

2.8 came out with that support but at the same time they changed the interface, dumped a whole heap of other very useful functions, and made it much more difficult and complicated to use.

Also, Linux support for conversion of RAW image files is still crap, it always was and still hasn't improved very much.

I'm a hardcore Photoshop user. Spent two decades just to get comfortable with it. It's the one and only piece of software I'm "married" to. Gimp makes for a wonderful way to print color images in Linux. But when it comes to creation and design, there are no substitutes for Photoshop. Not even close. That much is true.

I think some try to sell Gimp as a substitute because it is often a "deal-breaker" for people to dump Windows and go to Linux. Understandable if you are a graphic designer or photographer.
I also recall one of the first questions posed to me in a job interview for website design. That you had to know Photoshop. No substitutes allowed.

Yet my ancient 1998 Photoshop 5.5 works great in multiple Ubuntu distros combined with Wine 9.0. Can't complain about that. At the same time I get the impression from folks like YouTuber Chris Titus that more recent versions of Photoshop won't work at all in Linux. Adobe may have something to do with that, I'm not sure. But he has one other reason for hawking Gimp as a substitute for Photoshop.

-Pure prejudice. Titus HATES Adobe. Much like Linus Torvald hates Nvidia.

Last edited:
Also, Linux support for conversion of RAW image files is still crap, it always was and still hasn't improved very much.

I abandoned using RAW format not long after getting a DSLR. Though back then it seemed only camera manufacturers like Canon sold software to accommodate it, and of course only with Microsoft Windows. I'm not even sure if the Canon software I do have would even work on Windows 11.

At the same time I get the impression from folks like YouTuber Chris Titus that more recent versions of Photoshop won't work at all in Linux. Adobe may have something to do with that, I'm not sure.
Yeah, if you have to use a modern Photoshop version for your job or professional work, then you have to use Windows (or MacOS).

Like I think you can get some more modern versions to work through Wine but it's such a pain in the ass to even get them to work and the performance is just...not even worth it really.

Just from what I've read, even if you manage to get them to work, you can't get it to use your dedicated GPU so everything would have to be done through the CPU and it's so much slower.

Yeah, if you have to use a modern Photoshop version for your job or professional work, then you have to use Windows (or MacOS).

Like I think you can get some more modern versions to work through Wine but it's such a pain in the ass to even get them to work and the performance is just...not even worth it really.

Just from what I've read, even if you manage to get them to work, you can't get it to use your dedicated GPU so everything would have to be done through the CPU and it's so much slower.

It wouldn't surprise me if Adobe has done something internally to retain such a proprietary product on their more recent versions.

Ugh, Adobe. I can't stand Adobe.

I should mention that Adobe is getting sued by the US government over its cancellation policy. Between that, their overpriced SaaS model, and just how bloated their software is, I want nothing to do with any Adobe product.

Two days ago I was experimenting with Linux Mint 21.3 and that in the installation I loaded the recommended Nvidia 525 driver. When I did, I couldn't help but notice at least nine log issues.

When I rolled the driver back to version 470, seven of those log entries were gone. Reminding me of Linus Torvald's middle finger always pointed towards Nvidia. With other distros I've also had some rough times depending on which driver to use for Nvidia. But then I have an older GPU, a 1660Ti.

Of course with Linux, log entries are often just pedantic notations, not necessarily real problems. But to OCD people like me, I can't help but fret about them and try to correct as many as I can. Always having to search the net to find answers. One thing I like about Mint 21.3 is that it has a feature called system reports. Real potential problems are noted there as opposed to the log. I know in the past even Windows can be a little scary when you first see the log it creates.

Last edited:
Another thing to pass on. In using Photoshop through Wine 9.0 in Linux Mint 21.3 is great. However I have no way to use Photoshop to print whatever graphics I create.

That's where Gimp 2.10 comes into play. The only program I have that can print those native .PSD files. But it has taken me two years to finally discover why inside Gimp's printing function, that some of the fonts were all messed up regarding some of the sizes of photo paper to use.

Instead of 4 x 6 paperless, etc....it would have symbols as if it were an alphabet or language my existing fonts wouldn't support. And for all this time I just assumed it was ultimately some font dependency involved, given my ruthless approach to fonts I don't want or need.

What I discovered a few days was that it wasn't a font issue at all. Not even a Gimp 2.10 glitch. It was in the "CUPS" printing software. That I discovered that there were multiple choices of the same color printer I use through my network wirelessly. And that selecting a particular printer with the same name and model number which was different only in terms of the version of the CUPS software it used. And that going into the printer section of Linux and selecting the properties of my color printer is where I found the solution. Then clicking on my color printer, and reading ALL of what it showed relative to the make and model:

HP Envy 5530 Series, hpcups 3.21.12.

It was the most recent version of hpcups 3.21.12 that apparently corrected the glitch of past CUPS software for this particular printer.

So....if you find printing paper sizes all messed up inside Gimp 2.10, you might check your printer parameters to see if you have the latest CUPS software.

While many find the CUPS process to automatically configure and list a printer when it is turned on, I much prefer to have my laser printer and color printer already set up and ready to go without the CUPS software having to find it. Worse if the system automatically configures it and allocates older software, which explains the above. When that happens and you try to delete the printer in question, it automatically pops right back up. Annoying when there's some kind of problem.

So I went online to find an excellent solution. I turned off both printers, then rebooted and manually deleted both of them. Then I did the following command in the terminal, to remove the automated printer process: sudo apt purge cups-browsed

Then I simply accessed the printer function and manually added both printers back. But this time I made sure my color printer had the make and model of the most recent CUPS software:

HP Envy 5530 Series, hpcups 3.21.12.

And of course now both printers are listed when clicking the printer icon, ready to go.

I know, I know...most of you hate this sort of stuff. But when you can find the answers....why not share them?

Printer Properties.jpg

Nope, it ain't a Mac. Just Linux Mint 21.3 using limited Cinnamon rather than Gnome extensions.

Last edited:
What I discovered a few days was that it wasn't a font issue at all. Not even a Gimp 2.10 glitch. It was in the "CUPS" printing software.
Having the correct firmwares is also important. Firmware is the programming in the chips inside the printer, and a lot of companies don't like sharing that information, not their most recent anyway. Some companies are worse for this than others but in general principal HP has always supported Linux.

Some brands of printer simply won't work properly until you go to their website and download their copy of the driver which has the firmware included. Brother and Epson come to mind here. Canon are another mob, with them I've had very few problems with their printers but I've never successfully got a Canon scanner to work in Linux.

Having the correct firmwares is also important. Firmware is the programming in the chips inside the printer, and a lot of companies don't like sharing that information, not their most recent anyway. Some companies are worse for this than others but in general principal HP has always supported Linux.

Some brands of printer simply won't work properly until you go to their website and download their copy of the driver which has the firmware included. Brother and Epson come to mind here. Canon are another mob, with them I've had very few problems with their printers but I've never successfully got a Canon scanner to work in Linux.
I've got an old- very old Canon usb scanner. Wonder if it would work just plugging it in?

But it's academic...as my HP color printer doubles with a scanner. But like all the HP products, if I completely run out of ink, it won't let me use the scanner. Probably why I never got rid of that Canon scanner. But I doubt it would run on Windows with such old drivers.

As for Linux, I have no idea. I mean, how much work are they willing to invest when it comes to the kernel or other types of software pertinent to ridiculously old hardware? But then this makes me grin, and immediately recall that I can still run a 1998 version of Photoshop using Wine in multiple Linux (Ubuntu-based) distributions.

Last edited:
so does anyone here know why desktop icons will get screwed up in linux mint

it's annoying like the grid spacing icons will get screwed up and some icons will just like start overlapping with each other or be unaligned with each other or they'll just move to entirely new spaces entirely

literally when i logged in this morning, the computer and trash icons on my desktop moved themselves over to the other side

it's really annoying, is there a way to just like lock desktop icon placement in mint lol

New Threads

Top Bottom