• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

Not yet, but I still consider it a potentially viable option. I've resisted it up to now only because it continues to confuse me relative to the Mint driver manager. I still have it bookmarked.
I started using it when I was running Fedora, the version of the driver in the repository (xorg) wouldn't let me have hardware acceleration. Had similar hiccups when I switched over to Ubuntu, so now I only ever use the nVidia version of the driver.

Admittedly that computer no longer gets used enough for me to know if there's any problems or not, but for 3 years it was my only computer.

I started using it when I was running Fedora, the version of the driver in the repository (xorg) wouldn't let me have hardware acceleration. Had similar hiccups when I switched over to Ubuntu, so now I only ever use the nVidia version of the driver.

Admittedly that computer no longer gets used enough for me to know if there's any problems or not, but for 3 years it was my only computer.

I learned very early into Linux that while the Xorg/nouveau driver worked and was less trouble-prone, it provided video capability on par with integrated graphics from Intel. Yeah- no hardware acceleration. Unacceptable .

Though I really do suspect this is video-driver and possibly power-related related, happening with a specific update of both driver and perhaps kernel update as well. Ever since an update during Mint 21.3. Of course IMO rolling back a kernel update while easily done in Mint is a fundamentally bad idea given that virtually all kernel updates inherently involve routine security concerns.

Another thing I wonder about is if it could be monitor-related...in that in using Nvidia's 1660Ti, I went from using a DVI port to using a power-regulated HDMI port. At the time I thought it was a fundamental upgrade in technology. Seems another "hail mary" consideration though...lol. But seriously, I wonder about it. Before I never had this sort of problem using a cumbersome DVI port and cable. No power regulation with an old DVI port, as far as I know. But all that said, can a power disruption in a monitor create a power disruption with the OS?

Last edited:
I went from using a DVI port to using a power-regulated HDMI port.
I always avoided HDMI whenever I could, it's a crap system, it simply struggles with high traffic, doesn't carry the bandwidth. So tearing and pixelation in video playback and lagging in games.

The old DVI port is gone now but it was good while it lasted, now I'm using the newer DV port.

I always avoided HDMI whenever I could, it's a crap system, it simply struggles with high traffic, doesn't carry the bandwidth. So tearing and pixelation in video playback and lagging in games.

The old DVI port is gone now but it was good while it lasted, now I'm using the newer DV port.
I've still got my DVI cable. Probably will hook it up just to test it out on the 1660Ti. One thing I've discovered over the years is how many HDMI cables are just too cheap in quality.

HDMI didn't become popular because it's good, it became popular because it's a Sony proprietary system and Sony pushed it because they get royalties from all the manufacturers that use it.

New Threads

Top Bottom