• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and the emotion of love

Kalinychta

V.I.P Member
Sometimes I feel like I’m on the antisocial personality scale when it comes to love. I love some of the people in my life, but I don’t feel that I love or am anywhere near capable of loving as many people as I should (should?), and re: the people I do love, I love them in a way that’s not actually love as other people experience it, I don’t think. For example, when my father died, I felt sad that he suffered, but I didn’t actually really feel sad that he died, at least not in the same way the rest of my family did. And I definitely haven’t missed him the way they have either.

I’ve read that love is experienced by autistic people differently. Sometimes more intensely, sometimes less intensely. I’ve actually always felt exponentially more love for animals than for humans.

How about you guys?

I'm not sure, the love I focus on, and believe is important is the act of the will, willing the good of another; I believe I do well with that kind of love. In regards feeling love and being loved, I think I'm mostly okay with that, the only times where I struggle are, 1) when I'm distracted with other things and 2) when I can't relate intellectually and experientially to what another person or persons are going through; it seems like I need to contemplate intellectually the person or persons in question in order to feel love.

Sometimes I feel like I’m on the antisocial personality scale when it comes to love. I love some of the people in my life, but I don’t feel that I love or am anywhere near capable of loving as many people as I should (should?), and re: the people I do love, I love them in a way that’s not actually love as other people experience it, I don’t think. For example, when my father died, I felt sad that he suffered, but I didn’t actually really feel sad that he died, at least not in the same way the rest of my family did. And I definitely haven’t missed him the way they have either.

I’ve read that love is experienced by autistic people differently. Sometimes more intensely, sometimes less intensely. I’ve actually always felt exponentially more love for animals than for humans.

How about you guys?

This topic has been discussed many times on the forums. You are not alone. If you do a PubMed and/or Google Scholar search for "autism and oxytocin", "autism and vasopressin" you will see studies on how these hormones,...the "love hormones" affect social interactions. Symptomatology will vary within autistic population,...not all autistics will present with the same degree of hypothalamus-to-posterior pituitary signaling dysfunction,...as is often the case, there is some genetic variation with autistic community. There is also a difference between cognitive empathy and emotional empathy,...many autistics experience difficulties with cognitive empathy. Cognitive empathy has more to do with putting yourself in another's shoes,...perspective taking,...but can also affect how you deal with personal loss. Emotional empathy is another thing,...more related to our ability to cry with another person, a sad movie or song, etc.

I have described my issues on here before,...very much like yours. It is very unsettling to me that I didn't feel anything,...nothing,...when my father died. It was unsettling to me that I cried with my sister-in-law when my brother died,...but I wasn't sure if it was for my loss. My grandparents are gone,...and I didn't mourn their loss either. I had quite a bit of anxiousness about attending funerals,...but I found myself crying because others were crying,...which often hid my lack of cognitive empathy.

I do not "miss" people. People,...even my siblings, parents, children,...out-of-sight, out-of-mind",...but when they are around it's like they've never left. I love them in my way,...but they've got to be physically present in order for that to happen. I am not one for phone calls, texts, and e-mails,...I simply don't think of it,...as I am often focused in what I am doing now, and generally don't think of people, at all. Some may call my condition as "anti-social",...but it's not "anti", because in my mind that suggests that I don't like people,...which isn't quite accurate. It's not about positivity or negativity, per se, but more of a total "lack of thought" when it comes to people, in general.

Now, I am happily married,...and have been with the same woman since I was 18 years old,...I'm 55. However, it is clear to me that we both are experiencing love differently than other couples. Some people are great verbal communicators,...and are heavily dependent upon it. My wife and I do communicate verbally,...but it is limited to important things to us like daily plans, dates, times, etc. We generally do not talk about other people,...we talk about ideas. My wife has taken the on-line autism quotient test,...and scored a 27,...not quite on the autism scale (30 and above),...not quite the average neurotypical score (15). We can go for several hours without verbalizing anything,...she reads, I do research, we both have our chores within the household. We clearly love each other, but we bond more with physical contact in order to get our "hormone fix",...holding hands, hugs, kissing, and of course, intimacy. We totally trust each other, there is no fear/anxiety-based controlling behaviors, and I have openly told her "Life is too short to be unhappy,...if you are unhappy, the door is open. I love you enough to let you go." She doesn't "need" me, and I don't "need" her,...and that has made our relationship strong. So, in many ways, I think our marriage is better than some others.

I never had an idea of what love should feel like. I felt a lot of things on my journey that led to my meeting my spouse; the excitement to be noticed romantically by another, the hope of an emotional connection. Yet, nothing prepared me for the depth of feeling for her. Starting out as friends after a lot of talking on the phone, I felt a deep connection to her, emotionally, as we had adventures on a road trip after our first meeting. I found that as the experiences we were sharing progressed, I cared deeply for her feelings and enjoyment. Then I lost my virginity to her and my world changed, as by 28 I had almost given up on hope that a woman would accept me sexually. That changed my life fundamentally, and I still value the emotional and physical connection with her. I guess that is love. That let me open up to accepting friends, platonic love in a way.

I think the thing popular culture calls "love" is a weird misinterpretation. Most of what popular culture calls "love" is based on validation of self. Expressions of mourning seem to be based in feeling sorry for ones self.

I "feel love" when I am not resisting anothers expression of life experience.

Let me explain. The more I expect others to behave in the way that I have scripted, the more resistence I have to that person (dislike) when they do not do as I expect. But when I am simply letting them express who they are, without judgment or fear, I feel "love" for them even if they are being disagreeable.

I am more likely to want to fill in my knowledge gap about a person whom I haven't seen for a while than "miss" them.

But that is how I am answering the question today. My answer might be different on another day.

What is truly interesting to me is that reading these words looks emotionally detatched. But I actually have greater feeling of love than when I am bugled up by weird attachment emotions commonly called "love".

How about you guys?
I'm something of an emotional cripple (alexithymia) as well as an inability to connect or bond to other people. As Neonatal RRT said, the subject has come up many times here, and I am still trying to get a handle on it. I hate to admit it, but I have a better emotional connection to my dog than my wife and son.

Love has only become more confusing as l age. I guess a very serious deep attraction is my extent of love. Where l want to know what you are doing and hear that person's voice 24/7. It also seems to become more important over time.. ls that love? I guess we all work with our definition of love.

Some may call my condition as "anti-social",...but it's not "anti"

Just a reaction to the word "anti" . I recognise all too well what you are talking about, but I would say asocial rather than anti-social. A denoting not whereas anti is against - pedantic intermission ends.

I find that I have greater affection for animals and less for humans. Not really sure why that it is, but that's how I am. When my father died, I felt the same...I was sad, but not deeply hurt all that much. When I was younger, women that I was attracted to, I would get attached very quickly and intensely. That was love for me. I ignored all others and that person was my sole focus. Now that I'm a bit older and a bit wiser, the social construct of 'love' is much more than I can give people because I have no idea what, how or why of their 'feelings'. Too unpredictable for me to handle. I don't know how to emotionally 'connect' in a way that others find easy to understand. Good thing that I found my wife...I believe she maybe on the spectrum as well, which is why we may be a bit more compatible. Still have our issues, but a lot better than other relationships I've had.

I’m capable of emotional bonds with specific people, but I don’t know about my ability to feel romantic love (even in the context of a relationship.) I don’t feel lust or sexual attraction. But I experience emotional and aesthetic attraction (although I’ve definitely mentioned on here before that personality is more important to me overall.)

I love my parents. I can’t stand to think about what it would be like if they were gone :(
I was devastated when my grandparents died.

But even though I’m really empathetic, nothing I feel for humans can compare to the emotions I feel towards animals, especially dogs.

I did not believe romantic love actually existed for the longest time. I made the mistake in thinking everyone experienced ‘love’ like I did, and they were all faking it or exaggerating. I’ve always had a hard time watching romantic movies, hearing stories about love, love songs, etc. because I just couldn’t… put myself in those shoes. My whole thought process was, “you’re telling me that people can project themselves onto these characters…? And understand what they’re feeling? Nah, it’s all fake.” I always described romantic love as nothing but a chemical reaction to naturally incentivize reproduction of the species. For a while, I thought I was “above it” (cringe, I know…). That was until I met my (now ex) husband. Then I was able to actually put myself in those aforementioned shoes. I definitely still experience love a lot differently from most… but it’s funny how I was able to find someone who I thought matched my aura so perfectly when I thought I would never experience such a thing. I’m pretty sure he could be considered my twin flame.

As far as familial love goes, I also experience that differently. I have the trait of not missing people when they are out of my sight… since moving away from my family, I have yet to actually miss them. There’s no trauma or malicious feelings toward them, I just… don’t miss them. It’s not that I don’t care for them, either. I just think I experience familial love much differently. It’s super hard to explain, and I always felt horrible about this trait of mine. My family has no idea that I feel this way about them, either. I could go into more detail, but it would make this post entirely too long.

The same goes for friendships. I’ve never understood the concept of a “best friend.” I’ve never felt that closeness with another person. I figured it was all fake and exaggerated, just like romantic love. It’s not that I don’t care about people… In fact, I can experience pretty intense, overwhelming empathy for others (which has gotten me into trouble for various reasons). I just cannot imagine feeling so close to another human being that I could call them a “best friend.”

And just like many people have already mentioned, I have only ever felt that deep, friendship-like connection with animals. I would be happiest being surrounded by animals.

I’ve never really talked about this to anyone. I’ve always felt ashamed or guilty for lacking in this area… it’s also difficult for me to vocally express, well… anything. But especially how I’m feeling. Point being… I definitely understand where you’re coming from.

I love, sometimes to the extreme (When I feel like I want to spend all my time with the person and care about them) and then I’m devastated when my heart gets broken. Story of my life...

I love my parents and sibling, and for the latter I have never hesitated to defend my sister from people who have intended to hurt her.

Should’ve also mentioned that I feel a very strong love for friends as well.
I’m not sure if “love” is the correct term, but loyalty, empathy, affection, and emotional connection, yes.

I don`t like to say it because I worry people will think it sounds a little crazy, but I also seem to get a very close connection to animals. I just understand them and they make sense. And they seem to like me. I do have deep friendships with people too, I experience that but animals have always been easier to relate to in a way. My first best friend was a cocker spaniel, for the first 4 years of my life. She was very imporant to me, more important than people in a way. We hung out together all the time. :) She was very special.

Same exact thing with me :)

It works the other way, too… even dogs that are shy or reactive are very calm around me and we connect pretty instantly. It’s almost a spiritual thing. It’s very hard to explain.

I’ve always been referred to as a “dog whisperer.” :)

I love love and feel it just fine. I don't think lack of love is necessarily autism.

In fact, I think it is NTs that lack true love. Auties love with a purpose and with thought. We aren't fast into love and our love isn't shallow. No thanks to NT love which has no base other than the tired prescribed tropes of the century. No thanks to that. Aspie love is deep and based on things that are not shifting around.

Now that is not to downplay those who say they don't feel it. I DO know aspies that are like rocks and there is nothing wrong with that unless it bothers you.

I guess the trouble comes when two people don't have the same love language.

And I am no love-ologist, so everything I say could really just be BS.

I worry people will think it sounds a little crazy, but I also seem to get a very close connection with animals. I just understand them and they make sense. And they seem to like me.

Well, there’s such a thing as a crazy cat lady....

I feel similar. My best friend was this awesome cat, my first cat and he gave me a purpose at the time when I probably would not be here now. I was devastated when he died from cancer and I still have never finished that comic book he’s sitting on in this photo because we were reading it together. Now, my connections are very close, not as close as with my first cat but very close. The acceptance is on another level compared with people.

Attachments

• EA61653A-2FC3-44F8-B7E1-189E3E45E6ED.jpeg
    EA61653A-2FC3-44F8-B7E1-189E3E45E6ED.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 62
Well, there’s such a thing as a crazy cat lady....

I feel similar. My best friend was this awesome cat, my first cat and he gave me a purpose at the time when I probably would not be here now. I was devastated when he died from cancer and I still have never finished that comic book he’s sitting on in this photo because we were reading it together. Now, my connections are very close, not as close as with my first cat but very close. The acceptance is on another level compared with people.

Omg. Look at those eyes. So sweet.

I don't think l ever felt so much until l met one on the spectrum. It turned my world upside down. The passion l feel even amazes me. But they don't feel connections so l might as well feel for a concrete decoy. Lol

Last edited:

How about you guys?

Your beliefs and experiences have a major effect on your emotions. Having exponentially more love for animals than for humans tells me you have negative perceptions of people or had more negative experiences with people. I think this is the main reason autistic people often feel love differently.

If you want to love people more or feel better around people, you can do so by focusing on the good in people so you'll have more positive perceptions and experiences with other people.

I think everybody loves a bit different. But I also think that a few signs of love will show up with everybody who does feel love.
Then again I believe that my emotional capacity is not as big as the one of NTs so I perhaps objectively don't feel as deeply as they do even if it in relative terms feels the same to me compared to my possible emotional maximum.

For me love means that I want to be close to somebody. No matter what we do, I just enjoy their existence. Their existence brightens my life.
It also means that I will do things with them and for them that I would not enjoy doing normally. But with them it's OK or even great.
It also means that I will open my filters for them, so I can take them and their wishes and feelings and needs in. This is not done consciously, but I can feel it because then the surroundings, like sounds, become more overwhelming.
It also means that making them happy makes me happy. I care about them, though I feel indifferent towards most people.
Seeing them or thinking about them makes me smile.
I do not feel likew these things are little emotions.

New Threads

Top Bottom