• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Auto tune

Is autotune cheating?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • It depends

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

thejuice

V.I.P Member
Is auto tune cheating? Now I believe there are probably few absolute truths in the world, go with your gut feeling

Melodyne is probably cheating, which is used quite a lot more than autotune. It basically allows you to move the individual notes around graphically and both are often used together to achieve pitch correction.

Technically it's cheating, probably, but it's been going on since 1998 or so in one form or another so it's likely here to stay

I don't know if it's cheating, but I don't use it. I'd rather keep trying until I get it right. If one is striving for perfection, then it might be necessary sometimes.

In my opinion. The Human voice is not designed to be pitch perfect. The auto tune/pitch correction takes away all the natural oscillation in a voice. All instruments oscillate frequencies,piano,guitars,synths, violins , horns etc etc, the human voice is no different. The oscillation is what makes it sound human. Vibration and frequency is what people connect to on a subconscious and conscious level. Once those variables are removed and made to be mathematically,graphically perfect it’s no longer human and lacks magic and most of all emotion. It’s the space between the numbers and notes where the real music lurks .
It sucks that music is made now visually by graphs on a computer, I have fallen victim of this. I went back to the beginning when it was just my ears , that is the best for me . Listening to music creation instead of visual creation of music .

It’s my opinion it sounds horrible, For instance there has been studies done with Freddie Mercury‘s voice -when run through pitch correction it sounds horrible, He was an amazing singer but it’s the oscillation of tones, which makes it have character. Freddie’s character.

Think about if we talked as one frequency with no oscillation or variables in our tone , we would sound horrible.

If your singing voice is a little bit out of tune that is the magic ! That is what creates emotion and the oscillation! Now, if you’re extremely flat or sharp, it’s not going to sound good. Just afraid that people now hear pitch correction on everything now our ears are trained to hear a voice as unnatural.

Just like looking at a real painting painted with brushes by hand, there is a much more profound deeper meaning and connection . But that doesn’t mean it’s appreciated. Thats my opinion anyhow .
I definitely don’t think it’s cheating, but I think it is really overdone these days

Sorry for the rant

Last edited:
From a recording and production perspective, it can be a useful tool. Having said that, as @Human Avatar pointed out, even the best singers ever will drift sharp and flat on any given note, and it sounds beautiful, almost ideal. Very few singers are able to truly hold a note for any length of time, Karen Carpenter one of only a very few ever. The human ear and vocal cords are not tuned instruments.

Now, having said that, there are people that are simply lousy singers and are horribly out of tune to the point of cringeworthy performances. They shouldn't be singing at all, in that case, nor should they be using tuning software as a crutch in the studio or on stage.

The YouTube channel "Wings of Pegasus" analyzes several studio vs. live performances and discusses in great detail how all of this is achieved. Learned quite a bit from him. One example:

Autotune is the worst form of cheating.

I'd rather learn about a new group where three or four friends taught themselves to play guitar, bass, and drums, and sang poetry from what they experienced in life.

I can't stand any modern music groups, and it's been almost like that since the late 1990s. It's all mass produced crap that was written by a focus group in a studio and sang by someone else, accompanied by digital music.

I want to hear authenticity. I crave it.

Well we have quite a few anti autotuners in the comments but I'm the only one who voted yes.. Your ancestors died for your right! 😂 (Not rigging honest)

I like Human Avatar's answer. I think he summed it up perfectly.

It seems unfair to call it cheating, since bands will comp vocals or edit different takes into backing tracks. But, that can sound great, whereas autotune for me--on a purely aesthetic level--sounds awful. It has this wavy quality, like a robot drowning. It sounds like the person is drinking their own words. I much prefer a vocoder or other processing effect, if people want to do that with a vocal. I say that because autotune isn't always to hide flaws, but add texture and color.

They used pitch shifting on the first Smiths album, to improve Morrissey's vocals. You can hear the difference on the BBC sessions they added to Hatful of Hollow. I prefer The Smiths. But, that worked better than autotune programs, for my taste.

Is auto tune cheating? Now I believe there are probably few absolute truths in the world, go with your gut feeling
By the time that autotune, compression, and a dozen plug-ins process a track, it's not the original. It covers up incompetence. A competent musician's unique blips and errors can add to the total package. I'm not talking about people who do "beats" in their bedrooms here. When I listen to high-def tracks recorded at Capitol Studios in the 1960's, there is something missing these days, after Phil Spector's Wall of Sound.

In my opinion. The Human voice is not designed to be pitch perfect. The auto tune/pitch correction takes away all the natural oscillation in a voice. All instruments oscillate frequencies,piano,guitars,synths, violins , horns etc etc, the human voice is no different. The oscillation is what makes it sound human. Vibration and frequency is what people connect to on a subconscious and conscious level. Once those variables are removed and made to be mathematically,graphically perfect it’s no longer human and lacks magic and most of all emotion. It’s the space between the numbers and notes where the real music lurks .
It sucks that music is made now visually by graphs on a computer, I have fallen victim of this. I went back to the beginning when it was just my ears , that is the best for me . Listening to music creation instead of visual creation of music .

It’s my opinion it sounds horrible, For instance there has been studies done with Freddie Mercury‘s voice -when run through pitch correction it sounds horrible, He was an amazing singer but it’s the oscillation of tones, which makes it have character. Freddie’s character.

Think about if we talked as one frequency with no oscillation or variables in our tone , we would sound horrible.

If your singing voice is a little bit out of tune that is the magic ! That is what creates emotion and the oscillation! Now, if you’re extremely flat or sharp, it’s not going to sound good. Just afraid that people now hear pitch correction on everything now our ears are trained to hear a voice as unnatural.

Just like looking at a real painting painted with brushes by hand, there is a much more profound deeper meaning and connection . But that doesn’t mean it’s appreciated. Thats my opinion anyhow .
I definitely don’t think it’s cheating, but I think it is really overdone these days

Sorry for the rant

Interesting thought about singing slightly sharp or flat. To my untrained ears, a lot of punk bands tune slightly flat, it just gives a denseness and flavour that perfect pitch doesn't. Maybe a guitarist here can explain better?

Last edited:
I like Human Avatar's answer. I think he summed it up perfectly.

It seems unfair to call it cheating, since bands will comp vocals or edit different takes into backing tracks. But, that can sound great, whereas autotune for me--on a purely aesthetic level--sounds awful. It has this wavy quality, like a robot drowning. It sounds like the person is drinking their own words. I much prefer a vocoder or other processing effect, if people want to do that with a vocal. I say that because autotune isn't always to hide flaws, but add texture and color.

They used pitch shifting on the first Smiths album, to improve Morrissey's vocals. You can hear the difference on the BBC sessions they added to Hatful of Hollow. I prefer The Smiths. But, that worked better than autotune programs, for my taste.

Robot drowning, nice 😂

Morrissey is an interesting singer, for sure. I like him, but he has many flaws technically, which make Morrissey, Morrissey! A bit like his views as well.

By the time that autotune, compression, and a dozen plug-ins process a track, it's not the original. It covers up incompetence. A competent musician's unique blips and errors can add to the total package. I'm not talking about people who do "beats" in their bedrooms here. When I listen to high-def tracks recorded at Capitol Studios in the 1960's, there is something missing these days, after Phil Spector's Wall of Sound.

It certainly lowered barriers to entry for a music career, that's for sure. A session musician in the 60s had a lot of pressure to nail it first or second time. You hear drummers of bands, before they got famous, getting fired during the process of recording the first album. It was a position in the band where sloppiness was out of the question.

Are you saying after Spector (or at least his peak in the 60s), you think something is missing from recording?

Indeed I am. Spector is largely credited with turning audio engineering into an art form of its own. It's funny how we have all the dynamic range we want with 24-bit recordings, whereas magnetic tape was at best 30 dB. But today, the dynamic range is gone. At least with today's technology there's some hope for intoxicated Karaoke singers.

Spector was an impressive artist, but doing recordings like that is similar to doing a cover of someone's original track, as it's produced.

New Threads

Top Bottom