• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you use the internet to socialize?

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
Does anyone use things like Facebook, Twitter, MSN, Formspring, YouTube, Skype and the like?

This year, I've started using MSN and Skype. A former friend of mine helped me to get into using them both. I must admit I was very nervous about using Skype at first and it took me like an hour to speak a word. I'll never forget that day lol. I've also been using MSN a lot this year, mainly for talking to Aspies and some of my real life friends.

Facebook I would use mainly to upload photographs that I've taken of me and my friends. I would also use it to post comments and update my status if I can be bothered. I used to use Bebo back in the day too when it was the craze. I also use YouTube as well to make Vlogs/Blogs/w.e on my life & AS. I've used Formspring a couple of times but it's been a month since I was active on it. Then there's forums that I like to use, although I seem to focus on just one or two forums at a time.

What do you use to socialize?

I rarely ever initiate conversations, part of the reason I find easy to post is the fact that the other person is initiating, I'm merely replying. The same is true for MSN and such, I don't even initiate I only ever reply. I'm a very passive person.

I only have three friends and that includes my girlfriend. But to the point, I use MSN, I have a facebook account that I never use, I refuse to use webcams and skype.

I love the net for its socializing aspects. I find my conversations are longer and more rewarding online than in real life. The only time the reverse is true is when I'm in amongst a special interest group such as a chess club, or within a class who are willing to talk about the same subject. In such groups, I find that about half of the background conversations are focused on similar topics which alleviates some of the stress I experience brought about through deciphering those peripheral discussion, including nonverbal cues - another great advantage of computer mediated communication.

The Internet is my primary means of socialization. I have a handful of friends from autism forums. I'm also friends with several of my mom's coworkers, and I have an NT penpal from Germany who shares my special interests. My mom says I shouldn't be embarrassed that my friends come from the Internet, because she views it as just as valid of a method of social interaction as face-to-face.

I use MSN to communicate with a couple of aspie friends. We tried chatting with the microphone but now type everything. I am on facebook but I rarely look at what's happening.

I rarely bother trying to sociallize on the internet anymore. I don't feel like I really need anyone else - perfectly happy just being social with my girlfriend. :) When I was younger pretty much all my friends were online.

I rarely bother trying to sociallize on the internet anymore. I don't feel like I really need anyone else - perfectly happy just being social with my girlfriend. :) When I was younger pretty much all my friends were online.
How much friends did you have online? :P

Loads, actually. :S

I spent a lot of time in chat rooms and I just sort of 'made friends' there really easily with people, had a few hundred people on msn that i knew/talked to... nowadays I just can't make friends like that, it just seems impossible. What came so naturally then I can't do at all now, and as for real life. Ha.

I seem to have more online friends than I do in real life.

In fact, I don't think I have any friends outside the internet.
scared1.gif

Hi MissConstrue, I think all your internet friends would almost certainly be outside the internet :P Unless they're programs or something ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom