• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Empathy

As I stated in my original post, this post is a rant (yes, from depression). Now, I'm sorry for posting it.
I am not defining anyone or any group of people. However, I do believe that if someone truly has a sense of empathy, they could not be so eager to harm others, much less perform mass murder (war), etc. as they would be feeling the harm they inflict.

I also do think that perhaps I have more empathy than "normal" because if anyone wanted to beat me up or harm me, they would get no resistance. I could not fight back or make any effort to harm them. Been true all my life.

Perhaps Desmond Doss had empathy considering his military story? Or perhaps due to his religion. Same result, either way.
Please don't be sorry for posting. I'm glad you did.

I see this all too much on internet forums:-

Some autistics are...
Abused by parents
Bullied by peers
Disrespected by the public
Have had way too many experiences with NT people that demonstrated the true meaning of lack of empathy

Most autistics...
Like to help others
Absolutely despise bullying of any kind
Sensitive to other people's emotions
Demonstrates a lot of other empathetic thoughts and behaviours

Yet so many autistic people still believe that autism means lack of empathy and that NT means empathy.
Not saying NTs lack empathy as a group, I'm saying that autism isn't associated with lacking empathy and NT isn't associated with having empathy. NTs can demonstrate just as much lack of empathy as what it says in the lacking empathy section in all the books about autism in the world.

New Threads

Top Bottom