• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling like a baby/child inside

NB79

I read somewhere that this is common with autistic people.
I am 44 years old, and some part of me still feels like a baby.
What do you think of this? you are like this too?

Last edited:
I am often considered childlike but I would not quite say babylike. I probably act like I'm between 5 and 10 alot of the time when excited or scared and maybe more like 12 to 14 most of the time.

Yes. It does have alot to do with neurology of our condition.

It's like we are, in spirit, doing the reverse aging process. A adult as a child, but a child as an adult. It could be just a perception of our increasing uncaring for the NT world. But in some ways, it like we are wiser than the NTs around us too. Not putting precedence in things NTs care far too much about.

Have you ever seen 'The Mysterious Case of Benjamin Button'? This movie shows the physical version of how autistics feel. It's a great movie and it does have some great lessons about life, love, and relationships. How unique we all are as people. NT or ND.

There is a older gentleman that serves as a comic relief character, due to him talking about the 7 times he has been struck by lightning. He only reveals 5 of those times, I think. The last two are a mystery. But as funny as it is. There is also a odd mystique to it. A man who survived multiple lightning strikes and now can tell when a storm us coming.

I was always considered to act a bit young for my age (for example still being fascinated by baby toys and not wanting to let them all go when in my tweens). However in contrast I was considered to have university level intelligence by 10th grade on the end of year test and even scored in the 99th national percentile in some subjects some years on the yearly test.

Life is easier when there’s someone you can turn to for directions. As children, we look towards the elders in our family. As older adults, we ARE the elders. It’s really just a difficult dynamic for me to have become the decision-maker and have nobody to look to for wisdom.

The same thing happened to me at work. I went from a dumb kid who just did what I was told, to being a senior technician who was expected to have the answers to all of the new problems my industry faced.

As a child, a perceptive friend of the family called me, in all seriousness, “the oldest child in the world.”

As a young and middle-aged adult, people thought I was younger than I was, almost getting chased out of the faculty offices when I was a teacher and was thought to look like a student.

Now, at 70, I feel like a mature adult. Still lots to learn, but I no longer feel the least bit like a child.

Yes maybe not babylike but childlike. I still watch cartoons and find some kids cartoons enjoyable. I feel like I haven't developed that adult like competitive side despite my age.

I don't like competition and trying to get one over others, ie. conforming to the dog eat dog world type of mentality. I'm a conflict avoider at heart and I rarely find adult type cliques attractive. My best friend in highschool outgrew me I guess, when he wanted to be around the cool people and around those who drank and partied. For me I still maintained that childlike dislike for such 'adult' things.

I'm often mesmerized by bright colours, and if I were single and living on my own I'd probably have a room full of toys, not to play with as such but just to have. I'll be in my element.

Obviously being married and being short of money and space, buying loads of toys isn't really a responsible thing to do.

Same here. I feel like I'm a child roleplaying as an adult. When I talk to other adults like my boss or if I'm booking an appointment, I just feel like I'm a child not knowing what I'm supposed to say. It seems like everyone around me are more experienced than me. Even those my own age. I don't feel like an adult at all. It almost feels as if I stopped maturing past the age of 12.

My inner child is an asset.
full

He likes solving puzzles! ;)

Yeah, my internal self is still a teenager.

There is a older gentleman that serves as a comic relief character, due to him talking about the 7 times he has been struck by lightning. He only reveals 5 of those times, I think. The last two are a mystery. But as funny as it is. There is also a odd mystique to it. A man who survived multiple lightning strikes and now can tell when a storm us coming.
I've only been struck once by lightning. It was enough, thank you.

I turn him loose on real-world problems, too.
I would like a job that involved such skills. Two of my dream jobs as a child were scientist and detective. I loved "sciencing" things with my microscope or magnifying glass. I also liked "solving mysteries " examining prints from door knobs, examining the house with an ultraviolet light ,ect.

I have mostly always felt like the opposite, like I am really old and trudging through sludge in life. But then I have issues with fatigue and that certainly has the opposite effect of making a person feel young.

New Threads

Top Bottom