• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling like a baby/child inside

I read somewhere that this is common with autistic people.
I am 44 years old, and some part of me still feels like a baby.
What do you think of this? you are like this too?

Apparently, it is common that those on the spectrum tend to be more childlike (rather than childish) than NTs).
Years ago I read how a part of the neocortex isn't as developed as it is with NTs, creating this characteristic.

On another website, chronological age Vs mindset age was discussed.
We even did an age test.
According to the result, my mental age isn't that of a child, but was significantly younger than my physical age.
According the survey, my mental age is around 35, and that is precisely how I feel.

Yes. Apparently i also look a lot younger than i am too.
This is another characteristic that I have heard about those on the spectrum.
A couple of theories as to why, as a group, we tend to look younger are:
1. We tend to stay inside more often, avoiding the damaging effects of the sun.
2. Our facial expressions aren't as dynamic as the typical neurotypical, hence, less wrinkle development.

Last edited:
I am often considered childlike but I would not quite say babylike. I probably act like I'm between 5 and 10 alot of the time when excited or scared and maybe more like 12 to 14 most of the time.
When I am in joke mode, I probably appear to be acting as a child. :cool:
Or perhaps my second childhood, at my mature age, is taking effect. :p

It's like we are, in spirit, doing the reverse aging process. A adult as a child, but a child as an adult. It could be just a perception of our increasing uncaring for the NT world.
I'm glad you brought this up.
This is something that contributes to the perception that we are younger than we really are, imo.

I have never been interested in maintaining a social facade of maturity.
Undoubtedly, for me, this is due to my fidelity towards honesty/Truthfulness.
While some have a need to mask, I don't and never have.
I am not criticising anyone.
It is simply a case of personal priorities and pragmatism under certain circumstances, nothing more.

I once joked with my first GF by putting on a false ultra-masculine personal.
She loved it, but I wouldn't do it.
It just wasn't me.

The NT social Matrix is something I simply ignore.
I'd rather "March to my own drum".
I was under the impression that most on spectrum tended to be like this.
Do we really have a choice if we are true to ourselves?

Which brings me to another consideration:
The changing of social attitudes and specifically, the influences of the internet on the autistic mindset.
But that is for another possible thread discussion. :cool:

I read somewhere that this is common with autistic people.
I am 44 years old, and some part of me still feels like a baby.
What do you think of this? you are like this too?
Having had to take care of myself for as long as I can remember, sometimes I want to just curl up and say "Somebody please take care of me."

I did 5 age tests and got some odd results.

Here is the bizarre thing.
If you add the five ages up and get the average, you literally get 35.4 years old.
This is spot on with what I said above.
Purely a co-incidence, but an interesting one. :cool:

I don't think I can recommend any age test.
If you are interested, simply Google. <shrug>

I never had any problem with eating baby or child food (it can be more fun and colorful and easier to eat\prepare with more special added immunity stuff), wearing baby items, playing with baby toys, and acting like a baby.

I’m 21 but I often feel like a kid because of certain fixations I have such as animated movies and keeping my old plushies. I still feel like a teenager despite not being considered one anymore

I never had any problem with eating baby or child food (it can be more fun and colorful and easier to eat\prepare with more special added immunity stuff), wearing baby items, playing with baby toys, and acting like a baby.
gerber-picante-sauce-spicy-for-kids-babies.jpg

Not all baby food is created equal

I don't really feel like a child inside much, but the only part that does feel childlike is my strong bond with my teddy bear. Sometimes I like to talk about him, and luckily my husband is tolerant and has grown an attachment to my beloved bear too. The bear has always been there for me, and I have never grown out of holding him close to me for comfort and reassurance, and making sure he is left lying comfortably in the bed when I'm not there. Most people will say I'm just a stupid, big baby, but from a different perspective, it's not babyish really. It's healthy and also emphasises sensitiveness and innocence. It's probably why my husband tolerates my relationship with my bear, because he sees it as part of being sentimental, sensitive and loving.

Almost turning 39 and I still feel like a kid in an adult's body. I still watch kids' cartoons and playing video games for kids, but thankfully nobody judges me for it. As I've come to find out, even some non-autistic people still like childish things. At least I feel more comfortable about this nowadays.

However, I sometimes still behave like a kid. Guess it's something I'll never outgrow.

I have felt like an old soul since I was a young child. Nevertheless, I lack the wisdom of my elders and look forward to the journey toward old age.

It's healthy and also emphasises sensitiveness and innocence. It's probably why my husband tolerates my relationship with my bear, because he sees it as part of being sentimental, sensitive and loving.
Until recently, I collected "Airfix Kits", etc, not to build but just to keep.
They have/had a nostalgic factor.
Plastic model building was one of the few pleasures I had as a child.

Apart from that, I don't have any significant attachments to material things, that I can think of.

Something else to consider:

I defy anyone to refute that emotion management is difficult for most on the spectrum.
When we are overwhelmed emotionally, it is difficult not to regress.

View attachment 132850
Not all baby food is created equal
That's too immunizing, it's baby medicine, to give only 1\80 bbyspoon. Scooby Doo's baby would love it.

And have to use baby protection: baby food spill protector, baby cream (cheese), baby wipes and baby milk 🍼 (and a diaper in cases of accidental jalapeno burn)

Last edited:
I’ve never felt like an adult. I almost always have to ask for help with things, and I often feel as helpless as a child. Some people have even unkindly said that I’m like a child.

When I was in grade school I was often accused of being childish because I still watched TV shows for preschoolers and listened to music for that age group. Eventually I stopped doing those things religiously and would simply sneak peek at those things - like look at children’s shows when I was alone. If I looked at children’s books at a bookstore, I’d say I was looking back at my youth.

I’m always a child at heart. I still have a silly sense of humor. Every once in a while I enjoy some children’s music, a good children’s story, a game of Sorry or Duck, Duck, Goose, swinging in the playground, or riding on a merry go round.

Actually some of the games here on the forum are probably simple enough for a child to be able to play, like the Rhyming game or A-Z Words That End in a Vowel (maybe older children at least).

So I don’t really know what feeling like an adult is like.

New Threads

Top Bottom