• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Forum Update on 6th of August

Just came back on and I noticed the Autism Forums logo is small and only the like option is available. Hopefully all of this will be resolved soon.

Can't use the menu in the status area where we read about other people's new status, although on my own profile it's alright. I can write, but the menu doesn't pop up.

And maybe an old problem or am i always clicking the "circle back" button accidentally? After posting the posts my new reply window is filled with what I have just posted.

Edit: I think I'm just tapping that button constantly on my mobile since it's on the right side where I use my thumb to scroll.

Last edited:
Can't use the menu in the status area where we read about other people's new status,
Any chance you could show a screenshot? I don't understand what menu you are referring to.

And maybe an old problem or am i always clicking the "circle back" button accidentally? After posting the posts my new reply window is filled with what I have just posted.
I've noticed this as a new problem, too. It seems to just disappear on its own if I navigate away from the page. But a strange little glitch since 8/6

Screenshot_20240809-234703.png

There used to be a menu with Bold, Italic, Emotes, and other text editing things, image adding menus above the writing box in this image.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I was able to share a rainbow or a smiley to show my true emotional reaction to a post or comment.

I could say I agreed with the op, or that it was informative, or creative, or optimistic, without even typing a word.

It is a nice feature when one is nonverbal, but they want to send a message that they liked something. And how it made them feel. It's another tool of communication.

Now if I click on the thumbs up, a dialogue box pops up "Are you sure you want to apply this reaction?"

It's super duper neurotypical to ask that.

My first gut reaction is to panic a little, and second guess myself.

Then I get irritated "Of course I want to. Why else would I click on the thumbs up?"

It doesn't really flow with the autistic experience to have a dialogue box that pops up and second guesses a person's true reaction to something.

Is there any way that dialogue box can be disabled by staff? It's hecka overwhelming.

And you know, where'd the reactions go? Can they be brought back?

Just a couple of weeks ago, I was able to share a rainbow or a smiley to show my true emotional reaction to a post or comment.

I could say I agreed with the op, or that it was informative, or creative, or optimistic, without even typing a word.

It is a nice feature when one is nonverbal, but they want to send a message that they liked something. And how it made them feel. It's another tool of communication.

Now if I click on the thumbs up, a dialogue box pops up "Are you sure you want to apply this reaction?"

Then I get irritated "Of course I want to. Why else would I click on the thumbs up?"

It doesn't really flow with the autistic experience to have a dialogue box that pops up and second guesses a person's true reaction to something.

Is there any way that dialogue box can be disabled by staff? It's hecka overwhelming.

And you know, where'd the reactions go? Can they be brought back?

Agreed.

Though some of this "stuff" strikes me as possibly involving the influence of third parties, whether their own legal department, the government or whomever insures them for liability. Sadly what I'd consider as "a sign of the times". An attempt to further deflect liability to users rather than the host (AF) or the actual forum developer (Xenforo). Sad if that's the case, but in a civil legal sense it wouldn't surprise me.

In light of this, I can only hope the that the other responses members have in responding to other posts (all positive feedback) are missing only as a result of a programming glitch, and not new policy further restricting comments when it comes to any and all posts. Though if it is merely a glitch, let's hope it doesn't take too much time to amend it.

Interestingly enough, I have found sporadic comments of this nature on the Xenforo site, but in each case they were quite dated. Which *might* reflect that this is in fact a temporary glitch rather than a Xenforo programming decision.

Satal commented on the issue in Post #21.
A plug-in incompatibility? I'd call that a glitch...not a programming decision. Works for me.

One weird thing about Xenforo is how much if may or may not be native programming as opposed to third-party plug-ins. When if the case probably do take longer to rectify.

Last edited:

And you know, where'd the reactions go? Can they be brought back
@Yeshuasdaughter, as mentioned in this post, I'm waiting for the developer of the addon that gives the ability to define additional reactions. As soon as they've released it I will apply it.

Agreed.

Though some of this "stuff" strikes me as possibly involving the influence of third parties, whether their own legal department, the government or whomever insures them for liability. Sadly what I'd consider as "a sign of the times". An attempt to further deflect liability to users rather than the host (AF) or the actual forum developer (Xenforo). Sad if that's the case, but in a civil legal sense it wouldn't surprise me.

In light of this, I can only hope the that the other responses members have in responding to other posts (all positive feedback) are missing only as a result of a programming glitch, and not new policy further restricting comments when it comes to any and all posts. Though if it is merely a glitch, let's hope it doesn't take too much time to amend it.

Interestingly enough, I have found sporadic comments of this nature on the Xenforo site, but in each case they were quite dated. Which *might* reflect that this is in fact a temporary glitch rather than a Xenforo programming decision.
Huh? Please see the above and the previous responses on this thread.

@Yeshuasdaughter, as mentioned in this post, I'm waiting for the developer of the addon that gives the ability to define additional reactions. As soon as they've released it I will apply it.

Sounds much better. We'll just have to be patient....

Though @Yeshuasdaughter still has a point. It is a bit discouraging to see the latest version of Xenforo to default to a dialogue box pops up "Are you sure you want to apply this reaction?"

As I posted earlier, I suspect those kind of "second guess functions" are a thing of a possible legal future for developers. Almost funny to think of them like "nag screens" of the past, which also roiled most every computer user. Reminding me of that saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same".

However the good news remains, being that a presumably third-party developer can alter this back to what we had before with multiple options of responses to posts, without having to second guess them. So "no harm, no foul".

Last edited:
When i press to like there is no other option like friendly etc, and if i click a pop up screen ask me for confirmation?
Is going to be like that from now on?
Personally i prefer having the other option friendly etc.

It's being addressed. Waiting for presumably a third-party plug-in that is compatible with the recent forum upgrade to give us back that functionality we had with the previous version. Not uncommon in the world of software upgrades.

Last edited:
It's being addressed. Waiting for presumably a third-party plug-in that is compatible with the recent forum upgrade to give us back that functionality we had with the previous version. Not uncommon in the world of software upgrades.

Ah, ok thank you for the response.

Yeah, it's a dynamic that even I had initially forgotten. That there is a great deal of third-party customization available for Xenforo forums, which are quite popular as well.

However there's sometimes that scenario takes longer for those third-parties to "catch up" with the technology of the program they are customizing, and sometimes well after a software version has been released. Not a big deal.

In my own case at times I'm not even cognizant of what is "native" to Xenforo's programming, and what is not. One of the great things about this product is the degree of customization offered.

Though keep in mind that it still takes time and effort on the part of our forum's host @Satal to install and configure to make it all work when it becomes available.

Last edited:
Feedback: the post edit buttons are more grayed out, but still work.
They are darker in BB Code mode, but (as expected) do not work.

In case this is of benefit to know -

Oddly, when I click 'Like' on a post within the 'new profile posts' thread, it takes me to the person's profile page.

Example. I 'Liked' one of Nitro's music videos, and simply clicking the 'Confirm like' link, took me to his profile page.

I am NT and I get the same reaction. I mean that's why I do something, because I want, what a strange thing to ask me. They can start asking same things on "are you sure you want to post a reply?" or "are you sure you want to open this person's account?" Same things to me. No logic.

New Threads

Top Bottom