• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do *you* define autism in the shortest way possible?

marc_101

V.I.P Member
The DSM-5 definition of autism is obtuse. I'm trying to come up with a translation or a way to define autism that captures its elements in plain language. For example, my best attempt to date:

Autism is a problem of brain development. It affects how people interact with others, communicate, and behave. It's a broad spectrum that in the past was divided into different conditions, so people vary widely in how much their life is affected by it. With time, some people develop skills to compensate or cover (mask) symptoms. The list of symptoms is long and has so many combinations that it's difficult to capture how the experience looks like from the inside and outside a person. [This is the part where I would explain how it manifests in my life.]

Thoughts?

Similar to the above, but in my own language: Autism, from the Greek root word "auto" or "self" explains the social experience, as many struggle with interpersonal relationships. Autism is a prenatal, genetic and epigenetic, neurodevelopmental condition that can also effect immunological, neuromotor, and gastrointestinal functioning. The social, communication, and sensory experience of an autistic often lends to the individual, in various ways, to be marginalized, misunderstood, and misinterpreted.

"Define" or "Explain to NTs"?

Both are problematic, but in different ways.

FWIW I think the DSM definition is a failure as a definition, but perhaps ok for its purpose (which, as I understand it, is assistance and guidance for medical professionals).
IMO a better definition isn't possible at the moment - that is, both past definitions and the DSM V are irredeemably flawed to the point that they're not a good basis for incremental improvement.

Well, there has be a way to define it or otherwise it doesn't exist. Most will be flawed, but at least one should attempt.

Similar to the above, but in my own language: Autism, from the Greek root word "auto" or "self" explains the social experience, as many struggle with interpersonal relationships. Autism is a prenatal, genetic and epigenetic, neurodevelopmental condition that can also effect immunological, neuromotor, and gastrointestinal functioning.
That's where I call it a disease.

Well, there has be a way to define it or otherwise it doesn't exist. Most will be flawed, but at least one should attempt.

That's just it. There is a flux pass conundrum that holds Autism in this weird place in both the medical and general world.

Outside stims and other physical symptoms that can help identify Autism. There is no way anyone, outside of the autistic person's world, would understand the mental gymnastics of the autistic brain.

Each of us will have our own views on our shared condition. Even if some aspects line up.

And even if we find a way to define it for ourselves. There is little, to no chance, that any NT will ever be able to understand it, if we were to explain it. It'll just seem like we have other medical conditions.

A complement to @Xinyta's response:

You can describe what you perceive or understand about something, even something abstract.
But with a little imagination or extrapolation we can also describe things which don't exist.

IMO "definition" has the same weaknesses. That doesn't make it a useless concept, nor a complete and exact synonym for "describe" - it's still useful and distinct.

But I think we need to look elsewhere for something like ASD, which is resistant to both description and definition.

FWIW I don't think it can be done here, but this area of science seems to be waking up again, so I'm optimistic for the medium-term future.

That's where I call it a disease.
Interesting take on it. I have to say I winced though. Disease to me sounds like something you can "catch" or "cure" - neither of which applies to autism. Also, I have a particular sensitivity to this sort of language. Before the 1980's bisexual meant what we would now refer to as "unisex" - something used by both genders (back then the idea of more than two genders was not in the public awareness). During the 1980's it quickly changed and was almost always used in connection with AIDS and connected with words like disease, as if such people were dirty and to be avoided. That had a massively detrimental effect on how bisexuals were perceived. Based on that experience I would suggest that connecting "autism" with "disease" is fraught with risk.

Interesting take on it. I have to say I winced though. Disease to me sounds like something you can "catch" or "cure" - neither of which applies to autism. Also, I have a particular sensitivity to this sort of language. Before the 1980's bisexual meant what we would now refer to as "unisex" - something used by both genders (back then the idea of more than two genders was not in the public awareness). During the 1980's it quickly changed and was almost always used in connection with AIDS and connected with words like disease, as if such people were dirty and to be avoided. That had a massively detrimental effect on how bisexuals were perceived. Based on that experience I would suggest that connecting "autism" with "disease" is fraught with risk.
I just get angry at the thought that not only does autism affect our brains it also affects our immune systems and digestive systems. When something becomes physical like that, it can border on to disease.
If autism was just a neurological disorder like it used to be when I first got diagnosed then I wouldn't call it a disease. Now all these physical things are associated with it too, it makes me squirm.

I just get angry at the thought that not only does autism affect our brains it also affects our immune systems and digestive systems. When something becomes physical like that, it can border on to disease.
If autism was just a neurological disorder like it used to be when I first got diagnosed then I wouldn't call it a disease. Now all these physical things are associated with it too, it makes me squirm.

Something to consider is that a good chunk of why Autism does what it does physically, because of mental health. Our own mental health determines alot of how we get along with the world and how we handle everything around us. If our mental health is poor, our physical health will eventually follow suit as we grow older.

Because the societal socail structure is built in such a way that doesn't account for our autistic mindsets. It creates a significant disconnect that causes strain and stress on our own wellbeing as individuals with Autism.

This disconnect unfortunately creates situations where masking and mental health consurns tend to arise as a result. And then add on what this topic is about, regarding the confusion of what Autism is. You have a recipe for alot of problems that have unfortunately lead to short life spans due to personal reasons, in account of distressed individuals.

This whole situation is a crockpot of stewing problems that, to this point, have no answers that can make anything clearer.

Seems to me that "not average" is the best def.

If you're "not average," what are you? Below average? Above average? Or are you trying to say "not normal"? Because that's all illness, mental, physical, neurological, etc.

If you're "not average," what are you? Below average? Above average? Or are you trying to say "not normal"? Because that's all illness, mental, physical, neurological, etc.
I am saying all of those things at the same time.

Above average in some things, below in others. Both of those are "not normal" (if "average" is considered "normal").

And, yes. They tell me it is mental illness.

It's all in how one internalizes it. Myself, working in healthcare for as long as I have, and dealing with genetic conditions within the neonatal unit, I tend to have a different take on the subject and where to place autism within the spectrum of genetics. As an ASD-1/Asperger's variant, relatively speaking, I am doing pretty well. Granted, I DO have some GI issues, neuromotor, and immunological aspects to my condition, but again, relatively speaking, pretty manageable now that I am aware of them.

Medical terminology is a funny thing. What medicine calls a "disease" is a HUGE umbrella of conditions. In the neonatal unit, when a baby is born with abnormal anatomy of the heart, it falls under the category of congenital heart disease (CHD), but IS IT a disease? That's up to the perspective and context. Is a mental health condition a disease? It depends upon the underlying cause, but in medicine, regardless of the cause, it is under the umbrella of mental health disease. Cancer is a disease. Cystic fibrosis is a disease. Pneumonia and other infections are diseases.

A definition of the word "disease" within the context and perspective of medicine would be: "An abnormal condition that adversely affects the structure or function of all or part of an organism and is not immediately due to any external injury. Diseases are often known to be medical conditions that are associated with specific signs and symptoms."

So, is autism, by the above definition, a disease? Yes. Sorry if that hurts peoples feelings, but it is what it is,...by that definition. Now, obviously, there is a lot of variables to consider. With empathy towards all my autistic brothers and sisters out there, an ASD-1 is not in the same category as an ASD-3 individual. Personally, I typically use the language "condition" as in "I have an autism or autistic condition" and do not use the "disease", per se, because, as we know, "disease" within the realm of common, everyday, layperson's language implies something more significant. I know, it gets really fuzzy and how people interpret language can vary.

At any rate, I wouldn't get too hung up on the medical terminology and give it much thought,...seriously. Brush it off. I happen to know enough about the condition and live with it, like many of you. I don't walk around thinking I have a disease. All we can do is be aware of the autism science and research, learn a few things about ourselves, adapt and overcome. Stay positive out there kids.;):)

Last edited:
"A potential multitude of physical sensitivities combined with various difficulties of interacting with others."

A complex and widely-varying set of developmental, interpersonal, and sensory challenges that affect how those afflicted interact with the external world.

New Threads

Top Bottom